U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 06:15 AM

4,425 posts, read 4,942,585 times

Advertisements

Just watched a YouTube spoiler review from a source I trust.

Yeah.....I'll wait till this movie hits Netflix or whatever. Oh well. On to blade runner 2049.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:06 PM

378 posts, read 88,379 times
A solid 3/5. Not entirely necessary, nor does it have the same impact as the first two films in the series, but I can think of far worse ways to spend a Saturday afternoon. It would work much better as a stand alone sci fi/horror because making it part of the Alien universe creates a very different set of expectations that it can't hope to meet.

Damon Lindelof's absence makes it MUCH better than Prometheus (can I have that talentless hack's head on a plate please?) and I appreciate the effort they made to bridge the gaps between that film and this new one. John Logan's name in the credits ensured we'd at least get a solid storyline and a decent script. As always, he didn't disappoint. Did I mention he's a friend of a friend and the patron of a local theatre group whose shows I go to regularly? Gloat gloat...

I'm a latecomer to the Alien series, and have only seen this latest one and Prometheus in the cinema. The others, besides Resurrection which I flat out refuse to watch, I've caught up with either on television or DVD. Even on a smaller screen, the '79 and '86 iterations pack a lot more punch than the later films. I give the two most recent ones credit for revisiting the world and trying to expand the mythology while tying it altogether, but I wonder how many more times they'll be able to dish up the same old thing. Especially in this day and age when the action sequences bear closer resemblance to something out of a video game.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM

4,139 posts, read 2,762,774 times
Having seen Alien in the theater on the day it opened, I still think it was the best movie of the group. Aliens improved on it, but going into it I already had some expectations on what was going to be there.

Seeing Alien without any idea of what we were about to see, makes it a much better experience. If you know anyone who hasn't seen any of the genre, and has not heard anything about it, do them a favor and make sure they see Alien first. Hopefully they haven't seen the end of Spaceballs either!

Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM

378 posts, read 88,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Hopefully they haven't seen the end of Spaceballs either!
'Oh no, not again.'

Old 05-15-2017, 07:52 PM

5,474 posts, read 2,949,275 times
I'm a bit bummed it's not doing as well as I hoped with the critics, but I'm still super excited about it. I've been counting down to this movie since Prometheus, and I've been a huge Alien/Aliens fan since, gosh, middle school. My husband and I plan to see it this weekend.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 PM

6,686 posts, read 3,453,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I'm a bit bummed it's not doing as well as I hoped with the critics, but I'm still super excited about it. I've been counting down to this movie since Prometheus, and I've been a huge Alien/Aliens fan since, gosh, middle school. .
Same here. I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff, and the Alien series is up there as legendary status for me.

that said, I was little let down by Prometheus overall, but it was okay. This one isn't doing great with critics, but I'm still going to see it Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 PM

12,478 posts, read 14,887,849 times
Huge disappointment. I expected it at least to be as good as Prometheus but it was certainly worse.

The xenomorph never looked this bad. Seriously worse CGI creature effects than Alien Resurrection.

Alien/Aliens are 2 of my all time favorites. Someone needs to take this from Scott, like Disney inherited the mess of Star Wars from Lucas.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:21 AM

2,394 posts, read 1,270,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

The xenomorph never looked this bad. Seriously worse CGI creature effects than Alien Resurrection.

So far this seems to be the feeling from most fans. I have NOT seen this yet, so I have no opinion to form right now. I will eventually see this movie, but it will definitely not be in theaters.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 AM

2,903 posts, read 950,320 times
Also heard from someone I know who was massively disappointed. The Xenomorph FX are that bad? Durnit.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM

2,528 posts, read 4,554,399 times
As of this moment, it has a 73% critics rating (on Rotten Tomatoes) and a 67% audience rating (out of 42K reviews). That doesn't sound awful to me.

I think my movie crew is planning to go see this one on Sunday. I am hoping to re-watch Prometheus between now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies