U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 PM

8,023 posts, read 4,225,963 times

Advertisements

Loved it. I'm glad I saw this at the theater ($5.25 matinee). A couple of times things are rolling along and all of a sudden..., whoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 AM

420 posts, read 444,252 times
I am a huge Alien/ Aliens fan. Saw the Alien Movie the first weekend it was out in 1979. Same for Aliens in 1986. Aliens is my all time favorite movie. I have read most all of the graphic novels and the books since the 1980s. I enjoyed Prometheus but was let down with the second half. That said my son and I were hugely disappointed after seeing Alien Covenant tonight with the plot holes and especially the ending! The movie itself was ok for a SciFi horror flick, though I am tired of the same story of colonists come to planet and Aliens kill them. The ending was so bad that I will probably not see the next movie in the theatre. Ridley Scott finally has the ending he so badly wanted in Alien (which was overruled by his bosses). Truly disappointed, dang...

Last edited by blazertrek50; 05-20-2017 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 PM

23 posts, read 2,468 times
Saw it tonight. Very disappointing. If you didn't like Prometheus then you definitely won't like Covenant.

At this point I don't think we'll ever see another Alien as great as the first two, or even half as interesting as Fincher's version.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:13 PM

9,796 posts, read 4,919,280 times
I saw it yesterday and I have to echo the disappointment expressed by others (some spoilers ahead).

I can't pinpoint why, but I just didn't 'feel' this movie, I kept waiting for a great payout at the end, some awesome climax, but I didn't feel it. I kept wanting to be involved more but wasn't. There was certainly none of that sense of awe I felt during the opening of Prometheus.

There were some nice sequences and the ending was a nice homage to Ripley and Alien/Aliens.

But the trailers once again will be misleading some audiences who are expecting a non stop action fest throughout the movie.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:54 PM

9,796 posts, read 4,919,280 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUNAFQuzUzY

Old 05-20-2017, 11:41 PM

5,474 posts, read 2,949,275 times
I enjoyed it fine. I just... expected more, or something? Considering Scott is making one or two more, it's probably naive to assume some things would be further addressed. Of course, there are irrational humans doing irrational things, and humanity's creation turning on humanity. Good amount of action and the suspense I know to suspect.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:12 PM

69 posts, read 20,949 times
Movie has great potential, but why, why is crew member acting soooo stupid???

Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 PM

2,528 posts, read 4,554,399 times
I just got back. Really enjoyed it. I thought it did a nice job of bridging the gap between Prometheus and the main Alien movies, although of course I do realize Scott wants to do at least one more prequel. Yes, the crew is stupid, and it's frustrating that they are more devoted to themselves than to the 2000 other human lives on their ship. But I thought it was great. (And intense! I have a friend who says I get my money's worth out of movies, and boy...I sure did this time! I don't really like horror -- sci-fi horror is the lone exception -- and I get very anxious and agitated when things start to go south.)

Old 05-21-2017, 08:26 PM

7,253 posts, read 4,397,792 times
I didn't like it at all. The whole movie was predictable, there was no suspense. I figured what the ending would be as soon as the one character was introduced. Every character acted like a complete idiot, I dont know how they made it so far in life.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 PM

420 posts, read 444,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I just got back. Really enjoyed it. I thought it did a nice job of bridging the gap between Prometheus and the main Alien movies, although of course I do realize Scott wants to do at least one more prequel. Yes, the crew is stupid, and it's frustrating that they are more devoted to themselves than to the 2000 other human lives on their ship. But I thought it was great. (And intense! I have a friend who says I get my money's worth out of movies, and boy...I sure did this time! I don't really like horror -- sci-fi horror is the lone exception -- and I get very anxious and agitated when things start to go south.)
I am like you, not a fan of horror or scifi horror either and it does get to my anxiety. I have also been a huge fanboy of Alien since 1979. I read the book before seeing the flick! My all time fave movie is Aliens. I was ok with Alien3, disliked Alien Resurrection. Enjoyed AVP1 and absolutely did not enjoy AVP2, really bad flick. Now Prometheus was a fine movie though I was disappointed with the crews silly behavior and no Alien, but still not bad for a prequel. That being said I was truly disappointed with Covenant. Really bad crew interaction, really huge plot holes and absolutely no continuity with the original Alien and Aliens movies. Ridley Scott is sinking this franchise single handedly. He wanted to kill Ripley in Alien at the ending, did you know that? Well he finally got his way with the ending of Covenant, which disgusted me. No imagination whatsoever, so predictable. He is an unimaginative and selfish producer/director who I have no interest to watch films from any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies