U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 PM

18,475 posts, read 22,779,617 times

Advertisements

I also love the title.

One thing to keep in mind is that the movie makes it clear that we are not just seeing discrimination against blacks, we are seeing discrimination against women. There is the bias toward women that they would be more detail oriented than men and better at doing the "computing" - remember there were white women working as computers, too - but there was no precedent for women to attend the high level meetings that generated the engineering data that the computers (black and white) needed to do their jobs.

I am a white woman who went into a career that was - not long after the time frame of the movie - male dominated, so this aspect resonates with me. Merit made the difference for me, just as it ultimately did for the women in the movie.

By the way, the first African American astronaut in space was Dr Guion Bluford:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guion_Bluford

The first African American woman, Dr. Mae Jemison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Jemison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 PM

25,165 posts, read 25,182,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Lieutenant Colonel James Johnson | WTKR.com

One of the things about the segregated south is that the "separate but equal" didn't produce equality, but it did produce racial parallelism, which meant that the south had black parallels to many white cultural institutions that northern blacks did not have.

That's why in the south, black intellectuals were not considered "acting white" because everyone in the south was familiar with the black colleges (almost wholly southern) that produced them. How could being smart be "acting white" when all the teachers and the principal were black?
And the primary reason the black experience in the south is so different than in the north and the west!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:51 PM

4,052 posts, read 1,567,886 times
We need more movies like this, that not only tell the history of truths about black people and contributions, but we need them that tell of "Women" of all ethnicities within American history and their contribution.

If one note, the absence of black males in the movies depiction of NASA, it was a significant point. Actual reality that likely has many black males in the aspects of the over all of what composed the many elements of what a space program is, from other areas of science; unfortunately, the movie was not able to show that sector of history, because of its structure of the scripts primary focus. Maybe one day, the Hidden Aspects of the many areas of science's contribution and other technological and mechanical contributions can become a sequel to Hidden Figures.

I made major industry changing contribution in the Airline Industry for Decades which improved many aspects, and each time, "white men" hijacked the credit. What was interesting, once they did, they never were able to advance the models beyond what they hijacked and claimed the credit of my work. Instead, they just continue even today, not only to erode things, they fail and do not to innovate, they simply "recycle the programming with intent and actions which results to rip off the customer", instead of increase the customer benefits. They scrape for pennies by cheating the customer of even the things that were originally part of Air Travel. When I received the offer of a top level executives position, one would be amazed what a few white men did to try and derail it. I had an ongoing relation with the CEO and the past CEO before him and the President of the company, and one would be amazed at the many levels that flack was slung around to try and destroy those relations. I gave to them many models that made vast amounts of money and saved vast sums in the back side of the business.

I like the role that Kevin Costner played in the movie, because he was committed to the work, beyond the concerns for racist divides, he backed the best person who could best serve the missions objectives.

As to current day Airlines, look at Korean Air and All Nippon, they continue to improve their customer experience, another innovator was Virgin Atlantic.

The situations results that when people hijack and steal the work of others and gain credit and monetary benefit, they go right back into the complacency they were originally circling in before they hijacked someones else's work.

We see now the strip down rip off system of Domestic Air Travel is an atrocity for the consumer.

People now staff Corporate America with nothing but "degree riders", who have been trained to do nothing but over inflate their importance with titles they don't deserve and have not earned, and all we have seen over the past 40 yrs is a decline within and unto every industry in America. Even the Tech industry has fell into the trap of hiring these same Degree Riders who's sole mission is not to provide quality service, but to piece meal it out as a means of fleecing the public and the consumers. The advertising agencies which is now American highest grossing industry behind weapons selling, and stock market manipulations and creations of large scale multi dimensional ponzi schemes that are structured for cycles of spike and crash, for the sake of the "cash out" benefit of the manipulators of such. The set up which promotes the derivatives games, has made base commodities they are built upon even more worthless in essence, and the only thing that keeps it afloat is "spin" !!!!

They have turned the participants who utilize services into the actual commodity, as they are incessantly "profiled, cataloged", "packaged" over and over and over under any set of variables that can be sold and sold on the open market with the big label of "gullible" !!!! Except they don't use the word "gullible", they say it by the use of many many terms and tactic's that covertly aim to divert the attention from the participant to understand "they are the commodity that is being marketed and sold".

The Movie showed a lot, but it was not until the tide was turned, by the quality skill level of the women in the movie, but look how many decades it took for this truth to find ways into book and then into film where the world could see it in audio-visual presentation.

We should likely get ready for many more truths to find its way from obscurity and un-promoted manuscripts, to become audio-visuals based on real life events.

This movie did not get the promotional saturation that many films get, because it exposes such truth and human equality in capability and ability as well as noted contributions beyond the spectrum of skin color, also, promotional investment was limited because it is not filled with wild sex, murder and money driven killings. It also shows the ignorance of prejudice which society has segments whom profit too much from the ongoing promotion of prejudice and racist conduct in the general public. Racism is very profitable to the Wealth Controllers, because it keeps the people distracted, while the wealthy amass fortunes, while it leads the public into race driven prejudices in the every day street life of people. It is not profitable to the wealthy and they will not invest heavily in anything that promotes the diminishing of prejudices and instead promote the equality of people as individuals without the divider of racism.

When we as individual people realize these things, we will let go of prejudice and racism, and when that time comes, then we too will find better economic parity in the general society, and the wealthy won't be able to keep us distracted while they fleece the people of this nation.

Take note, any time the wealthy suffer any type of economic loss or their profit margins shrink, they have many many models to make determined effort to promote the increase of prejudice and racism in the general society. Only when their profits are astronomical will they give any quarter to racial harmony.... but the minute their profits dive, UP rises racism to a fever pitch.

MLK tried to tell people about this decades ago, but many white people closed their ears, and many of the same ones who closed their ears are now among the challenged and destitute of the baby boom era and their offspring's who still find to this day, economically disadvantaged.

The younger generations are catching on, and then what do we get except the rise of a President who fires up the ethnic divides and promotes it, and will take no determined stand to diminish it.

We need more movies of this type to keep the young people informed and keep the younger generations pushing forward to learn more and build up a resource base within themselves were they can't be manipulated to defeat themselves by prejudices and racial divides in the streets of life.

Thanks to the Film Makers who work hard to struggle to get the resources to make these type of movies that help awaken the young and bring information about the reality of peoples capabilities as individuals.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 02-20-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 02:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 575,273 times
This movie has passed the $150 million mark domestically this weekend:

Weekend Box Office Results for February 24-26, 2017 - Box Office Mojo

and I'm wondering how far it will go.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 PM

25,165 posts, read 25,182,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
This movie has passed the $150 million mark domestically this weekend:

Weekend Box Office Results for February 24-26, 2017 - Box Office Mojo

and I'm wondering how far it will go.
Great news. I hope this movie is the nail in the coffin that movies with female leads, and black leads, do not resonate with audiences so we can go all in with more types of representation on screen.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:47 PM

2,591 posts, read 4,780,621 times
I went to the movies with a friend today to see Moonlight, but at the last moment we shifted gears and saw Hidden Figures instead. It was my second viewing, but her first. She loved it, and I enjoyed it every bit as much the second time as the first. Such a good movie. It's always great to see "little" movies -- and I think a $25M budget is fairly small, relatively speaking in Hollywood terms -- do so well.

I hope Octavia Spencer wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. (Nope...watching now... Viola Davis. Another spectacular actress.)

Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 PM

609 posts, read 362,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
We need more movies like this, that not only tell the history of truths about black people and contributions, but we need them that tell of "Women" of all ethnicities within American history and their contribution.
Brevity is the soul of wit.....

Anyhow....you get or think people should get the history from mainstream movies??? LOL.....almost always these movies take extreme liberties with the actual truth for either dramatic reasons or outright pandering to sell tickets. Hidden Figures is no different......it is an over exaggeration and rife with embellishments of the real story, trying to convince anyone who doesn't have a mind of their own that it's the way they say it was......but:

Film review: Hidden Figures takes liberties with real life facts | The National

Hidden Figures is engaging, entertaining and enlightening – but by playing fast and loose with historical fact, it risks blunting some of the story’s eye-opening emotional force.

These women deserve to be celebrated, but director Theodore Melfi has allowed heart to rule head.

Such factual inaccuracies do more harm than good – by embellishing injustice, you risk creating easy fodder for dark, reactionary forces to seize upon.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 PM

15,399 posts, read 7,801,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Such factual inaccuracies do more harm than good – by embellishing injustice, you risk creating easy fodder for dark, reactionary forces to seize upon.[/i][/b]
Which, naturally, he did. LOL, grimly.

But as I explained in post #56, the variations have good rationale for a 2017 viewing audience.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 575,273 times
I'm surprised that this film got snubbed at the Oscars.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 AM

15,399 posts, read 7,801,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I'm surprised that this film got snubbed at the Oscars.
Well, if I were to be cynical, I'd point out that this was the only film in which all the black people were intelligent, moral, and middle-class. So it got snubbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies