U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM

26,858 posts, read 27,274,195 times

Advertisements

I saw "Hidden Figures" in April when visiting family. I thought the movie was very well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 12:00 AM

6,513 posts, read 3,618,045 times
Found it in Wal-Mart in the $5 bin. Snatched it up because although I wanted to see it in the theater, for some reason I didn't.

Loved it.

I especially liked that they emphasized the positives and down played the negatives. But even with the deemphasis of most of the negatives of that period, I think the bathroom scenes were a great example of how roadblocks are put in place by those in power and then never thought of as a reason for the supposed failures of those who are forced to live around those block; thank "god" that so many of the oppressed like these ladies still managed to succeed!

I see the some of those same oppressions today, and it angers me that most of these issues will never be admitted to by those who are selectively blind to social injustice. But that's OK, I can deal; I am no different from the multitudes who have been obliged to swallow most of their slights and insults. I think it is funny and sad that the majority of this country have no idea how much righteous indignation is being carried around, bottled up.

The only thing I wish - as a retired FORTRAN programmer - is that I could have had a chance to meet and speak to these pioneers, they are my spiritual mothers and my heros, that I didn't even know existed.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-12-2017 at 12:13 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 AM

19,846 posts, read 40,258,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Found it in Wal-Mart in the $5 bin. Snatched it up because although I wanted to see it in the theater, for some reason I didn't.

Loved it.

I especially liked that they emphasized the positives and down played the negatives. But even with the deemphasis of most of the negatives of that period, I think the bathroom scenes were a great example of how roadblocks are put in place by those in power and then never thought of as a reason for the supposed failures of those who are forced to live around those block; thank "god" that so many of the oppressed like these ladies still managed to succeed!

I see the some of those same oppressions today, and it angers me that most of these issues will never be admitted to by those who are selectively blind to social injustice. But that's OK, I can deal; I am no different from the multitudes who have been obliged to swallow most of their slights and insults. I think it is funny and sad that the majority of this country have no idea how much righteous indignation is being carried around, bottled up.

The only thing I wish - as a retired FORTRAN programmer - is that I could have had a chance to meet and speak to these pioneers, they are my spiritual mothers and my heros, that I didn't even know existed.
Some of the women who lived that story are still alive...
I imagine they would love to hear your comments about their importance to you...

Old 08-12-2017, 07:46 AM

658 posts, read 260,720 times
And thanks for your post blktoptrvl. It's nice to be read some positive thoughts on CD. You reminded me why I still read here. Dave

Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 AM

6,513 posts, read 3,618,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Some of the women who lived that story are still alive...
I imagine they would love to hear your comments about their importance to you...
That is a good idea. However, finding a person's email address is sometimes difficult. But I have sent a message to NASA asking if it is possible to transmit a message of appreciation via NASA email. If I get a positive response, I will post that email address or link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
And thanks for your post blktoptrvl. It's nice to be read some positive thoughts on CD. You reminded me why I still read here. Dave
Yes, CD has the possibility and potential to be a VERY positive place; as long as we can keep the politics to a dull roar. That is something I myself have to try harder to do. Thanks for that reminder.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 AM

14,819 posts, read 7,305,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Loved it.

I didn't know about such ladies until the 90s, when I saw old pictures of similar groups of women who did artillery ballistics calculations for the Army and Navy during WWII. And there were black women in those groups, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies