Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Jim Parsons (who says that he was very uncomfortable playing his role) has been buying out theater showings in Houston to donate to low-income families.

Henson and Spencer have been doing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:43 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Just saw this Friday night and it was spectacular.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:22 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I just saw the film tonight. Well done! And what a great piece of history it brings alive! John Glenn sure looks young in the film. I'm so used to seeing him at middle age and beyond.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Didn't read the thread because I don't want to know too much before I see it. It is at the top of my list of movies to see. Unfortunately, I got talked into seeing La La Land over the weekend instead. What a waste of time that was. Should have seen this one. I'm so happy to see a movie about women, and women of color, no less, riding the top of the box office.
I know. My girlfriend is just RAVING about La La Land and it seems perfectly awful to me.

Hidden Figures is next on my list!

Old 01-29-2017, 11:55 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Jim Parsons (who says that he was very uncomfortable playing his role) has been buying out theater showings in Houston to donate to low-income families.
Oh, good grief! It's just a film role! He did a great job. Somebody had to play that role; why not him? I thought it was cool to see him turn up in that movie, playing a key role.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:20 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, good grief! It's just a film role! He did a great job. Somebody had to play that role; why not him? I thought it was cool to see him turn up in that movie, playing a key role.
Why the "oh good grief"? Is he not allowed to feel uncomfortable playing someone who was sexist and racist?

Old 01-29-2017, 01:08 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why the "oh good grief"? Is he not allowed to feel uncomfortable playing someone who was sexist and racist?
Every now and then, an actor plays a despicable role so effectively that the audience forgets it's just a role. It happened to Peter Graves as the spy in "Stalag 17," and to Laurence Fishburne as Ike Turner in "What's Love Got to Do with It?" People actually started assaulting them on the street for those roles.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:32 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times
I saw this recently and excellent movie. One of the best movies that I've seen in a long time.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
I saw it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The movie is ending its run here, and there was only one showing on the online schedule. When I got to the theater (early, in fact), that viewing was sold out, but they had added a second in another room, starting twenty minutes later.

When I arrived, there was a group of young African Americans, mostly female, probably high school students, having a picture made in front of the large Hidden Figures poster. They went in to the earlier viewing. They may have been accompanied by a teacher.

For the later showing, the audience looked like someone had transported the attendees from a senior center, mostly white, and with a lot of gray hair. I'm almost 69, and I may have been one of the younger folks there.

The movie is appealing to all demographics, it seems.

I would like to predict that Hidden Figures will trigger an interest in math and science for some young African American women who might not have considered it before - and possibly young men, too.

Speaking of men, the African American men in the movie are no slouches, either. Katherine Johnson's father had strong math skills, and he (and Katherine's mother) went to great lengths so that she and her siblings could continue their educations. Her second husband married her - and her three daughters. Mary Jackson's husband supported her desire to get an engineering degree. Dorothy Vaughn also had a strong family.

All of these women had families and children in addition to their careers.

Dorothy Vaughan Obituary - Hampton, VA | Daily Press

Mary Jackson Obituary - Hampton, VA | Daily Press

Video here includes a snippet with a slide rule, Ralph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OYSzJK1Kc

Old 02-05-2017, 12:51 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I saw it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The movie is ending its run here, and there was only one showing on the online schedule. When I got to the theater (early, in fact), that viewing was sold out, but they had added a second in another room, starting twenty minutes later.

When I arrived, there was a group of young African Americans, mostly female, probably high school students, having a picture made in front of the large Hidden Figures poster. They went in to the earlier viewing. They may have been accompanied by a teacher.

For the later showing, the audience looked like someone had transported the attendees from a senior center, mostly white, and with a lot of gray hair. I'm almost 69, and I may have been one of the younger folks there.

The movie is appealing to all demographics, it seems.

I would like to predict that Hidden Figures will trigger an interest in math and science for some young African American women who might not have considered it before - and possibly young men, too.

Speaking of men, the African American men in the movie are no slouches, either. Katherine Johnson's father had strong math skills, and he (and Katherine's mother) went to great lengths so that she and her siblings could continue their educations. Her second husband married her - and her three daughters. Mary Jackson's husband supported her desire to get an engineering degree. Dorothy Vaughn also had a strong family.

All of these women had families and children in addition to their careers.

Dorothy Vaughan Obituary - Hampton, VA | Daily Press

Mary Jackson Obituary - Hampton, VA | Daily Press

Video here includes a snippet with a slide rule, Ralph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OYSzJK1Kc
Very nice post and video, Suzy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies