Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM

50,554 posts, read 24,121,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How many male actors who are Indian can you name? The producers wanted an actor who has a recognizable, bankable name. Dev Patel is the only male Indian actor in that age range who qualifies.

Using a black actor to play an Indian man would have been even worse, imho. Just look at the flack caused last week with Joseph Fiennes playing Michael Jackson in a TV show comedy program.

I don't think that Natalie Portman's face resembles Jackie Kennedy AT ALL. Yet, she's getting accolades for the movie, "Jackie."
Not really true. Kunal Nayaar is probably as well known as Patel...though I have no problem with Patel.

In terms of your last paragraph, there's a difference between acting and doing an impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,412,321 times
Not a fan. I find the film pretty pretentious. I don't get why he suddenly had to get all guarded and distant just because he saw that Indian red dessert, maybe it's what really happened, but it was poorly handled imo, the emotion range felt forced and unnatural. I'm not too impressed by the acting either, though Nicole Kidman was decent enough.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,984,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not really true. Kunal Nayaar is probably as well known as Patel...though I have no problem with Patel.
I had never heard of Kunal Nayaar. I looked him up, and would guess that mostly people who are fans of Big Bang Theory know who he is. Not really someone I would think of for a serious movie role.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,983,503 times
I loved this movie.

And maybe as much as "Hidden Figures"...

Okay, well maybe not as much as.... but I still liked this movie a lot.

Also, this movie was kind of like "The Sixth Sense" where you're waiting for the end to see how everything turns out and ties together... SPOILERS AHEAD:

Spoiler
and even though Saroo's reunion with his mother was very emotional and very touching... when they also revealed what happened to his brother... and explained the meaning of the title... just wow.

Also, there probably wasn't a dry eye in the house. Plus, there was a whole lot of sniffling going on.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 AM

50,554 posts, read 24,121,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I had never heard of Kunal Nayaar. I looked him up, and would guess that mostly people who are fans of Big Bang Theory know who he is. Not really someone I would think of for a serious movie role.
Well, just how many male Indian actors can you name for a leading role in a film?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,984,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, just how many male Indian actors can you name for a leading role in a film?
You had said that Kunal Nayaar was well known. I'm not saying I can name many Indian actors, just that I don't feel like he is well known unless you are a fan of the Big Bang Theory.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 PM

919 posts, read 787,605 times
Just watched this tonight. Trying to see most of the best picture nominees. Loved it. So far it's my favorite for best picture. Also liked Hidden Figures, didn't care for La La Land or Manchester by the Sea.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 PM

16,398 posts, read 12,434,738 times
Saw the movie tonight and LOVED it. And it didn't bother me a single iota that Dev Patel doesn't resemble the real Saroo Brierley. Why not? Becuase other than the very brief clip at the end, I have absolutely no idea what Saroo Brierley looks like. It's different if the character being portrayed has a very well known image.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,123,572 times
Lion is truly a remarkable movie----a beautiful story, well acted, and fantastic cinematography.
It was an amazing experience watching the movie---very emotional with a few tears streaming down.
Dev Patel is a fine actor----his height should not rule him out----there are some tall men in India.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,306,220 times
Well...I'm wrecked! If I had watched this at home, I would have let go at the end had a wrenching sob. Instead, I have a raging headache from trying to stifle my tears.

The story was amazing to me. Poor little kid. I can't imagine the terror and helplessness and frustration and incredible sadness. And how on earth did he ever trust anyone again? Everywhere he turned were predators and exploiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies