Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Star Wars: The Last Jedi become all-time tops in ticket sales?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times

Advertisements

I find this a weird trailer especially on first viewing. It was called a full trailer rather than a teaser trailer but it played out like a long teaser, perhaps a Comic-Con teaser. It won't turn my anticipation off. It looks like it will be dark. Most of my favorites The Empire Strikes Back, Rogue One, even The Force Awakens and Revenge of the Sith were that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 08:33 PM

28,623 posts, read 18,677,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I find this a weird trailer especially on first viewing. It was called a full trailer rather than a teaser trailer but it played out like a long teaser, perhaps a Comic-Con teaser. It won't turn my anticipation off. It looks like it will be dark. Most of my favorites The Empire Strikes Back, Rogue One, even The Force Awakens and Revenge of the Sith were that way.
The middle act of a trilogy is usually dark.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The middle act of a trilogy is usually dark.
There are a number you can point to, even in Star Wars itself. Attack of the Clones wasn't super dark (and I say that as a fan of that movie), as was Jurassic Park 3 (and I hate that movie) nor was Iron Man 2. Both of these movies suffer from darker third acts. Iron Man 3's PTSD > Iron Man 2's alcoholism and Revenge of the Sith's death of the Jedi, rise of the Sith and anointing of Emperor Palpatine > Attack of the Clones' ominous Dark Side leaning end. I have a feeling even with how dark Thor: The Dark World went, Thor: Ragnarok will go darker. I also don't recall Rocky 2 being dark, yet Rocky 3 rattled Rocky with a defeat AND the loss of his trainer at the same time. Then you have ones that are more fun than dark like oh say, The Lost World: Jurassic Park to Jurassic Park.

I'm just saying here. I realize MOST times, the mid is the darkest.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,981,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I just hope they take the story in new directions. Even though I enjoyed TFA, it was way too much just a retro of Ep. IV. The Last Jedi better not be a retro of Ep. V.
It won't be because I had read that there was a reason that TFA was a retro of Ep. IV... and since that served its purpose, they are now going to deal with more unique and original ideas in Ep. VIII.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:51 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,981,844 times
Quote:
Eh? I think they're reading way more of their own views into that than I saw in the trailer.

Luke has always been resistant to the strict codes of the Jedi. Even in Empire he was resistant to the whole necessity of detachment on which Yoda insisted. Luke wanting to end the Jedi I would never take to suggest that he means it's okay to embrace bits of the dark side. But reject the code of detachment and refusing to love? Yeah, I could see Luke not having much patience for that, even in his crotchety old age.
Actually, I really didn't read the entire article. But I used the link to that article because the internet had created a big buzz about Luke's "It's Time for the Jedi to End" quote, and I basically wanted to bring that out since I had noticed that no one else did.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 AM

22,891 posts, read 28,167,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
It won't be because I had read that there was a reason that TFA was a retro of Ep. IV...

Yup. Disney.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
[/color]

Yup. Disney.
Well in a way Phantom Menace is the same. Except it was not during a war and the war would take another ten years to happen. An old Jedi dies, political strife (instead of the Senate being closed up, the Chancellor is ousted), a young Jedi is found and are the hero and gets the eye of Palpatine.

So honestly, I don't think it is Disney's fault.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,596,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So honestly, I don't think it is Disney's fault.
TFA is in no small way a beat-for-beat redux of [ANH] '77. Disney absolutely wanted this, and watching the movie makes it undeniable.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,596,235 times
Behold! "The Incredible Moving Scar"!

Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 PM

22,891 posts, read 28,167,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
TFA is in no small way a beat-for-beat redux of [ANH] '77. Disney absolutely wanted this, and watching the movie makes it undeniable.
Yup. Even George Lucas has admitted this. Disney wanted a guaranteed hit and mandated it be a back-to-basics "do over" of ANH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies