Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 05:02 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times

Advertisements

Would you agree there was rather a lot of this in the films, almost to the point of a motif? I could be taking my 'disabled interpretation' of things (that I hope to build an academic career on in the next few years) a step too far, but it did happen quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Yes, very much so. Rather more G rated than the Grail legend and Amfortas and Parzival. The wounding of the hero is a common motif in mythic quests, and don't forget that Joe Campbell was instrumental in the story construction of A New Hope.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:51 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Proud disciple of Campbell (through Vogler) right here .

Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Would you agree there was rather a lot of this in the films, almost to the point of a motif? I could be taking my 'disabled interpretation' of things (that I hope to build an academic career on in the next few years) a step too far, but it did happen quite a bit.
I don't know about "a lot," since it's really only a meaningful motif with two characters: Anakin/Vader and Luke. And it's really only in Luke's case that Lucas was playing with the "wounded hero / suffering servant" from Campbell.

Anakin/Vader's maiming is not the Hero bearing a wound. Vader's cybernetics are symbolic that his pride and anger and quest for power are robbing him of of his humanity. "He's more machine than man now."

Luke losing his hand is very much in keeping with the wounded hero myth. But it is also a warning: Don't become your daddy.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:55 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know about "a lot," since it's really only a meaningful motif with two characters: Anakin/Vader and Luke. And it's really only in Luke's case that Lucas was playing with the "wounded hero / suffering servant" from Campbell.

Anakin/Vader's maiming is not the Hero bearing a wound. Vader's cybernetics are symbolic that his pride and anger and quest for power are robbing him of of his humanity. "He's more machine than man now."

Luke losing his hand is very much in keeping with the wounded hero myth. But it is also a warning: Don't become your daddy.
It also occurs with Saw Guerrera, but Saw represents the opposite side of the same coin as Vader.

I don't think it's a "motif" of the saga, but rather used as specific character themes, which is in agreement with you point.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 02-11-2017 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It also occurs with Saw Guerrera.
It does. But he's such a minor character that I don't know if it helps establish a motif.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:22 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It does. But he's such a minor character that I don't know if it helps establish a motif.
Well, no, I'm not saying such a motif is being established at all, but that it occurs as individual character incidents.

I think, though, it's been established in what is now "legend" lore that it takes two natural hands to combat Sith lightning.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I think we're looking for symbols and themes that aren't really there.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:40 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Actually, you're right, scribbles76.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akF2ljenqYE

And here's the reason why George Lucas said that this happened in his movies.

Quote:
VANITY FAIR: What is the meaning of all the hands, arms, legs and heads being chopped off in the films that have emerged from Lucas' brain?

GEORGE LUCAS: That's what happens when you play with swords
LOL

star wars - Symbolic meanings of everyone losing their hands? - Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange

Also, the beginning of this video shows that even though "The Phantom Menace" didn't have any limb severings or decapitations, someone did get chopped in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gto2KhP2ZaA

Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
I would expect people battling with or against light sabers would lose limbs
if anything im surprised more jedi didn't have cybernetic arms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies