Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times

Advertisements

Most important thing I have learned from watching movies, especially in a theater, is not to give in to the temptation that "I-can-hold-it" until the movie's over.

On a more serious note, I've learned:
  • movies do NOT have to be just like the book to be better, or even as good
  • movies can be just 'visually' beautiful, like a fine oil -- the true measure of such I think is if you turn off the sound and stop the image, is the still 'picture quality'
  • movies often distort history, but not always in a bad way
  • movies that I refer to as 'head movies' because the film messes with my head, can cause me to think for hours, days, months, and years
  • movies are still, for the entertainment, one of the best values even if I can drop $20 on a ticket, popcorn and a drink
  • movies can be the starting point of serious discussions on difficult topics
As to life's lessons gleaned from the medium: there are not always happy endings; the girl does not generally get the guy, and vice versa, nor does one have to in order to be happy in life, and on occasion, is so much better for having lost the boy/girl; Small Town USA is seldom what it appears; and the Number 1 thing I have learned is that princes don't ride white horses -- some show up on a city bus, others in a Ferrari. Princesses, real ones, however, all have issues with 'peas.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies