Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
No. Don't go see it. It's not a good movie. It's 90% buildup, which ultimately makes no logical sense (seriously - why were the grandparents servants and why were they so bad at it if this is something they do often) and 10% (as in running time - the legit horror part is 10% of the movie). Not sure how it got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Shades of Hitchcock, that's why.

Quote:
I get that most of the uncomfortable party probably has happened to black people, but that's not a reason for a movie, or if it is then why tack on a silly horror premise to crap all over people's real experiences?
The point of this as a thriller is that it turns events that for most of us blacks are merely uncomfortable into forebodings of genuine terror and danger.

Peele does the Hitchcock-thing of taking events that cause our reptilian subconscious to scream "Get out!" but our sophisticated simian brains say, "Oh, it's nothing. It's just the wind"...until it's too late.

And the terror for the audience continues beyond the movie because the director integrated their own real experiences into the horror...the next time one is in that situation, the movie will come to mind the same way people who have seen "Psycho" make sure to lock their doors when they shower.

Go back and watch "Psycho" to see how many times Marion Crane should have gotten the heck out of that motel, but didn't heed the warnings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The same stuff, maybe worse happens to gay men. This is a super interesting related article.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...aboo.html?_r=0

The other - black and gay - shares his own experiences and my friends have echoed the same.
I guess just guys being gay is hard enough. I can only imagine the difficulties of a gay interracial relationship. Many seem to think this movie was a message toward liberal whites and how they deal with black people. It kinda showcases the lack of trust people have for others.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
No. Don't go see it. It's not a good movie. It's 90% buildup, which ultimately makes no logical sense (seriously - why were the grandparents servants and why were they so bad at it if this is something they do often) and 10% (as in running time - the legit horror part is 10% of the movie). Not sure how it got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I get that most of the uncomfortable party probably has happened to black people, but that's not a reason for a movie, or if it is then why tack on a silly horror premise to crap all over people's real experiences?

The best friend and his interactions were the best part of the movie.

Spoiler
That cop scene when they hit the dear really hit close to home for me. - RE: she wasn't sticking up for him, she didn't want the cop to know he was traveling with her. Again, craps all over someone's real experiences
The grandparents played servants to throw off the guest the daughter brought home. Plus their bodies have basically 2 people fighting for control. That black people who were compromised were still there in the "sunken place", the grandparents were just using their bodies to stay alive.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
The grandparents played servants to throw off the guest the daughter brought home.
No they didn't. How would that make anyone more comfortable? Let's see; they have servants that are black or just have black people lounging on couches and not being servants? And again, the
Spoiler
white chick had a stack of a dozen boyfriends she had dragged home -they should have at least been good at it. I guess you could say they made a game of creeping him out, but that seems dumb and contradictory towards their plans.

Quote:
And the terror for the audience continues beyond the movie because the director integrated their own real experiences into the horror...
This backwards. The only reason those movie scenes
Spoiler
worked is because black people (and really any minority) already feel that way in the company of large groups of white people. This just laughs at that - "haha I'm totally uncomfortable but at least they aren't trying to steal my brains." Nobody was scared of being murdered in the shower before Psycho.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:07 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
The grandparents played servants to throw off the guest the daughter brought home. Plus their bodies have basically 2 people fighting for control. That black people who were compromised were still there in the "sunken place", the grandparents were just using their bodies to stay alive.
Yeah the grandparents really baffled me. It made total sense to me when I through they were just hypnotized, but I kept thinking to all of their weird scenes (like grandma standing in the kitchen staring straight ahead with a tray in her hands) and wondering why they were acting that way....and why make them servants...they could have been neighbors or something.

My second question was...how on earth did the blind guy win that 'silent' auction??

Old 03-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Yeah the grandparents really baffled me. It made total sense to me when I through they were just hypnotized, but I kept thinking to all of their weird scenes (like grandma standing in the kitchen staring straight ahead with a tray in her hands) and wondering why they were acting that way....and why make them servants...they could have been neighbors or something.
I think ideally and more realistically, the previous patients/recipients would be kept secret and far away.

OTOH, the previous patients may have been serving as "advertisement" to encourage others to bid, and the grandparents would have been kept close for continued care (re-hypnotism and such), because clearly struggles for control had occurred before.

Or, heck, maybe they were all just that arrogant.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,017 times
what do you make of the end scene where the main character let go of his ex GF? if there's a sequel where the ex somehow has a way to hypnotize or control the guy i wouldn't be surprised

Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
what do you make of the end scene where the main character let go of his ex GF? if there's a sequel where the ex somehow has a way to hypnotize or control the guy i wouldn't be surprised
That's a continuing question for me, preceded by the question of "why did she begin smiling?" If we knew that, we might know why he released her.

This was a movie in which nearly everything had some kind of directorial intent, so there must be a "director's intent" to be discovered.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
what do you make of the end scene where the main character let go of his ex GF?
He let her go because the police hunt down black guys who kill white women and give them the death penalty. What's his defense going to be? She was trying to steal my brain and so I had to kill her?

In fact they had an alternate ending where the police show up, and he goes to jail forever, but that was too on-the-nose.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
He let her go because the police hunt down black guys who kill white women and give them the death penalty. What's his defense going to be? She was trying to steal my brain and so I had to kill her?
Except that the squad car had not yet appeared when she started the eerie smile.

No matter what, however, her dead would have been much better for him than her alive. There was, at least, some evidence in the house for "she was trying to steal my brain," as long as he didn't have to deal with her being able to say, "No, I wasn't!"

Quote:
In fact they had an alternate ending where the police show up, and he goes to jail forever, but that was too on-the-nose.
Inasmuch as the evidence of his presence was left all over the house, he wasn't yet in the clear by any means. Although he left the basement in flames, I'd have been more comforted by an end scene with the entire house engulfed in flames in the background. The dead bodies on the road were dismissable as murder-suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies