U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2017, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Southwestern OH
241 posts, read 104,304 times
Reputation: 495

Advertisements

I've seen it twice so far. Once with my husband and kid last Saturday, and then yesterday with my mom. I LOVED it. Beauty and the Beast was my favorite animated Disney movie as a little girl, but this was so much better in pretty much every way.

I LIKE that they let the actors sing. Heaven forbid we actually hear real people's voices in parts they're really playing. I can ALWAYS tell when they switch out talking and singing between actors. It completely jars me out of the experiences. Thank goodness there was none of that here.

I loved the expansion of the characters' backstories, especially Maurice and Gaston (neither of whom I liked in the animated film). I thought the whole storyline was well-done. The development of the romance was just right and not quite the shock of the animated version.

I loved every aspect of this Beast. It made more sense to me that he retained some of his humanity than if he rediscovered it completely over the course of a few days like in the original. Also, the way that they didn't try to specify how long the spell lasted made much more sense than the stupid "ten years" of the previous--especially when the animated deadline for the curse's end was at the Beast's 21st birthday. Plus, Dan Stevens has the general look of the character. (IMO, best facial casting was Stevens, Watson, Evans, and Gad.)

I loved that Gaston's dark nature was more fully revealed in the live action version. He was truly insane in some ways. And Luke Evans did a fantastic job with the character. I didn't even enjoy Gaston as a character in the animated version. He was too annoying. This one? Him, I can see as a villain.

I loved the entire atmosphere of each setting. The costumes were amazing, much more authentic to the live action's declared timeline than the animated version's were to its (mid-18th and mid-19th centuries respectively). And I loved how they did the cursed servants' CGI animation. Very exquisitely detailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2017, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Southwestern OH
241 posts, read 104,304 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Oh Evermore was AMAZING, that song isn't my complaint. I just think they made the wrong call to make the Beast human and be able to hold his own with Belle's bookworminess. As well as the cliche of his father poisoning him and turning him into a heartless man who was later turned into a Beast because of that.
Those were actually the additions I liked the most! Why should an essentially horrible person who has been behaving in the most bitter and enraged manner for a decade and losing all of his humanity, suddenly turn into someone gentle and caring enough to win Belle's heart? I think it's better that they established this backstory for him, where he was a good kid thanks to his loving mother who, once deprived of her, had to learn to live up to his cruel and selfish father's expectations without any shield. It gives his transformation into a decent person more realism, to my adult mind, than the animated version portrayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
990 posts, read 290,848 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
I've seen it twice so far. Once with my husband and kid last Saturday, and then yesterday with my mom. I LOVED it. Beauty and the Beast was my favorite animated Disney movie as a little girl, but this was so much better in pretty much every way.

I LIKE that they let the actors sing. Heaven forbid we actually hear real people's voices in parts they're really playing. I can ALWAYS tell when they switch out talking and singing between actors. It completely jars me out of the experiences. Thank goodness there was none of that here.

I loved the expansion of the characters' backstories, especially Maurice and Gaston (neither of whom I liked in the animated film). I thought the whole storyline was well-done. The development of the romance was just right and not quite the shock of the animated version.

I loved every aspect of this Beast. It made more sense to me that he retained some of his humanity than if he rediscovered it completely over the course of a few days like in the original. Also, the way that they didn't try to specify how long the spell lasted made much more sense than the stupid "ten years" of the previous--especially when the animated deadline for the curse's end was at the Beast's 21st birthday. Plus, Dan Stevens has the general look of the character. (IMO, best facial casting was Stevens, Watson, Evans, and Gad.)

I loved that Gaston's dark nature was more fully revealed in the live action version. He was truly insane in some ways. And Luke Evans did a fantastic job with the character. I didn't even enjoy Gaston as a character in the animated version. He was too annoying. This one? Him, I can see as a villain.

I loved the entire atmosphere of each setting. The costumes were amazing, much more authentic to the live action's declared timeline than the animated version's were to its (mid-18th and mid-19th centuries respectively). And I loved how they did the cursed servants' CGI animation. Very exquisitely detailed.
Thank you for your review. I am considering going to see this or The Zookeeper's wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
4,273 posts, read 6,834,236 times
Reputation: 7929
Not surprised. No guns, no F Bombs, great music, gorgeous costumes and settings, - who knew people would turn out in droves for something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 05:53 AM
 
Location: NoVa
1,904 posts, read 2,508,298 times
Reputation: 2432
Saw it yesterday and LOVED every minute of it! I thought the director made the right choice of including nearly all the songs from the animation (and then some new ones) in this new version. I was sitting at the edge of my seat in anticipation of Lumiere singing "Be My Guest" when Belle's first dinner scene at the castle was about to start.

I also appreciated the backstory about Belle's mother and why she always asks for a rose as a gift from her father's travel. As well as Beast's backstory and how he still retains some of his humanity and knowledge as a human. I mean, when one is confined to a castle for years with a fantastic library at one's fingertips, it makes sense that one actually reads those books. The backstory gives its audience a better perspective and understanding of the movie's characters, IMO.

I think Disney did a great job with this remake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
21,468 posts, read 11,619,405 times
Reputation: 7796
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
Those were actually the additions I liked the most! Why should an essentially horrible person who has been behaving in the most bitter and enraged manner for a decade and losing all of his humanity, suddenly turn into someone gentle and caring enough to win Belle's heart? I think it's better that they established this backstory for him, where he was a good kid thanks to his loving mother who, once deprived of her, had to learn to live up to his cruel and selfish father's expectations without any shield. It gives his transformation into a decent person more realism, to my adult mind, than the animated version portrayed.
It just turned into a cliché rather than interesting to me. The ways of the father story happens a little too much while the warming of a heart with live I feel is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Not surprised. No guns, no F Bombs, great music, gorgeous costumes and settings, - who knew people would turn out in droves for something like this?
The sad thing is most men are being dragged on dates and I say that as a fan of the movie. Guess they needed guns and more fights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM
 
Location: NoVa
1,904 posts, read 2,508,298 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The sad thing is most men are being dragged on dates and I say that as a fan of the movie. Guess they needed guns and more fights...
You mean like I dragged my husband? He didn't even last long, half way into Belle's first song, my husband whispered to me in a pained voice: "Can I just go to Home Depot and I'll pick you up when you're done?". To which I responded: "Just go!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 04:01 AM
 
Location: Southwestern OH
241 posts, read 104,304 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
You mean like I dragged my husband? He didn't even last long, half way into Belle's first song, my husband whispered to me in a pained voice: "Can I just go to Home Depot and I'll pick you up when you're done?". To which I responded: "Just go!"
LOL! And in contrast, my husband wanted to see it! Plus a lot of the men I work with do, too. My husband enjoyed most of it, or so he says, except for "Evermore". He thought that was a dumb addition. Well, a broken clock is right twice a day, but this was not that time! ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
21,468 posts, read 11,619,405 times
Reputation: 7796
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
LOL! And in contrast, my husband wanted to see it! Plus a lot of the men I work with do, too. My husband enjoyed most of it, or so he says, except for "Evermore". He thought that was a dumb addition. Well, a broken clock is right twice a day, but this was not that time! ;-)
I went willingly as did my brother (he's married, I'm not) and we both loved that song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 AM
 
3,387 posts, read 1,770,575 times
Reputation: 8949
Saw it and liked it (especially the songs by the male actors -- I think "Evermore" is a sure thing for an Oscar nomination, btw) -- but I would "only" give it a B. Like so many movies today, the visual effects, imo, were so over-the-top that they distracted from the story. (Just my opinion, of course.)

[Btw, although the Beast effects were great, I spent a good part of the movie trying to figure out if the Beast was real or it it was CGI, with Stevens just providing the voice. I thought that it had to have been CGI except that the Beast's facial expressions and eyes were too real to be CGI. It bothered me so much that I looked it up as soon as I got home, and it turned out that only the facial hair was CGI.]

P.S. My husband is another man who "loves" Disney, musicals, and chick flicks, which I think is SO great. I would much rather be with a guy who prefers romantic movies to wrestling matches or monster truck rallies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top