U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:17 AM

7,749 posts, read 4,730,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Btw, although the Beast effects were great, I spent a good part of the movie trying to figure out if the Beast was real or it it was CGI, with Stevens just providing the voice. I thought that it had to have been CGI except that the Beast's facial expressions and eyes were too real to be CGI. It bothered me so much that I looked it up as soon as I got home, and it turned out that only the facial hair was CGI.
Yeah, I had seen an interview with him before I saw the movie. He had said the beast costume weighed 40lbs and he had to learn to walk on 10 inch stilts. The teeth were also real, as he had specifically asked for fangs so he could get the voice just right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 07:37 AM

16,102 posts, read 14,330,879 times
I watched the Youtube clips of the latest movie and then compared them to the original animated version. The original definitely had more warmth and charm. Emma Watson is an okay actress, but she lacked the depth of the animated Belle. I liked Belle because she and Jasmine weren't the usual boring Disney Princesses, and as a book worm myself I liked that about her. Plus the supporting cast made their roles memorable, while the CGI versions were 2 dimensional.
That and they made Gaston even less likable if that was possible. I thought Gaston stole every scene he was in in the original. He was a jerk, yes, but also larger than life and if they wanted to make somebody more complex, they could have made him more human. Instead they made LaFou less clownish and therefore less entertaining.
And screwing around with The Beast's backstory sounded like it failed. Why make his father the bad guy ( why must they tear down male characters when they build up female ones?). I always assumed that the Prince was a spoiled brat who was orphaned and then left to servants to be raised. Someone did an in depth Youtube discussion on the nature of the curse and postulated that perhaps the enchantress cursed them to be how they saw each other. The Prince saw his servants as objects and they became objects. They saw him as a beast and he became one. Why would his being a jerk suddenly be the fault of his father?

Old 04-02-2017, 07:38 AM

1,109 posts, read 342,465 times
Saw the movie yesterday
Wow I really disliked it
Emma Watson was terrible in it. Had no expressions on her face. Looked like she was constipated the whole time

I loved the Cinderella live action. Lily James did a great job with that one

Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 AM

8,363 posts, read 5,563,553 times
Saw it last night. One thing I didn't like was the sideways looks and rolled eyes my boyfriend gave me every time they began singing. LOL

I can see how Belle was not as animated as she could have been but I thought she was okay.

Loved Belle's dad.

Hated (appropriately) Gaston.

LOVE LOVE LOVED the beast. Until he turned normal again and I was like: that's it?

Apparent is the bringing in more black actors, which is awesome. Because there were so many, it emphasizes the lack of them in past movies. In the ballroom scenes it would have seemed less contrived had they paired more black couples. Almost every black I saw was paired with a white person. Nothing wrong with biracial couples, I've been the white half of one before. It just seems - not as realistic? Maybe that's not the right word in a fantasy.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I watched the Youtube clips of the latest movie and then compared them to the original animated version. The original definitely had more warmth and charm. Emma Watson is an okay actress, but she lacked the depth of the animated Belle.
You cannot really compare a YouTube clip to an entire movie, especially one that you have probably seen multiple times.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:38 AM

40,024 posts, read 43,940,831 times
Well.
I was going to blow this movie off.
But every single person I know who has seen it has loved it.

Guess I'll be renting it when it comes out.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:48 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,268,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Saw the movie yesterday
Wow I really disliked it
Emma Watson was terrible in it. Had no expressions on her face. Looked like she was constipated the whole time

I loved the Cinderella live action. Lily James did a great job with that one
Belle is more of an introvert than Cinderella. Emma did the character justice and played her exactly I expected Belle to be. Belle is my favorite princess so I had EXTREMELY high expectations of this and she met every single one. Now, if you don't like it, fine but to day Emma was terrible is just ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:14 PM

1,109 posts, read 342,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Belle is more of an introvert than Cinderella. Emma did the character justice and played her exactly I expected Belle to be. Belle is my favorite princess so I had EXTREMELY high expectations of this and she met every single one. Now, if you don't like it, fine but to day Emma was terrible is just ridiculous.
I thought Emma was absolutely terrible in it. That is my opinion, the same as your opinion that she was good.

I've seen character actors at Disneyworld dressed up as Belle who captured the character better than Watson did.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:31 PM

3,898 posts, read 1,651,365 times
Quote:
I thought Emma was absolutely terrible in it. That is my opinion, the same as your opinion that she was good.

I've seen character actors at Disneyworld dressed up as Belle who captured the character better than Watson did.
I have to agree with sawyersmom. I think she was great in the role. Belle was always supposed to be reserved and "rather odd". The Disney World Belles are always too bright and bubbly. They don't come close to what the character is supposed to be. They simply play the squeaky "princess" role.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
And I'm sure you would be saying otherwise if they had cast some random Disney World character actor to play Belle in the movie. I actually disagree that they are able to capture the character of Belle. I have heard Disney World Belle ask little boys if they're a prince or a beast. That is not something that Belle would say, and doesn't go along with her character. The Disney "cast member" is playing the role of a princess dressed as Belle and making references to the movie so that meeting Belle isn't the exact same experience as meeting Aurora or Cinderella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies