Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:03 PM

477 posts, read 276,417 times

Advertisements

So I just read an article reminding the comic book movie audience about writer Chris Claremont's hope that actor Bob Hoskins would have been cast as Wolverine years prior to Hugh Jackman's famous role.

As Jackman is now done with the character, Wolverine will no doubt be recast, likely with someone younger for sex appeal and franchise longevity. But is that the right way to go?

I've long thought that the talented Angela Bassett would have been a superior choice to play Ororo/Storm over Halle Berry and agree that Bob Hoskins could have portrayed Logan/Wolverine more faithfully to the comics; a short, hairy, powerful mutant. While Jackman did a fantastic job, he is over 6 feet tall and less animalistic looking.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor does a good job, but they could have cast more age-appropriate; a weathered, older thunder god as opposed to opting for youth appeal.

Anyone else think this might be the opportunity for less conventional casting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 12:29 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,257 times
Honestly, we have seen so much Wolverine over the past 17 years that I think the character needs a break. After this Logan movie, the character should go away for at least a decade before we see him again. This makes it much easier to start fresh without people constantly comparing the new actor to Jackman.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Honestly, we have seen so much Wolverine over the past 17 years that I think the character needs a break. After this Logan movie, the character should go away for at least a decade before we see him again. This makes it much easier to start fresh without people constantly comparing the new actor to Jackman.
I agree. There are plenty of other characters that can be used in movies, no reason to keep rebooting the same ones over and over again.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:28 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
I kinda thought one of the purposes of the movie was to set up the introduction of X-23 -- Laura -- as the new "Wolverine" character. So a man, leading or otherwise, would not be required at all. Rather, the character would be played by a woman.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:31 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Hopefully FOX learned from the MCU that the comics sales were not the key but if you find the right actor to match to a character then the comic's character becomes an A lister

Old 03-05-2017, 04:28 PM

477 posts, read 276,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I kinda thought one of the purposes of the movie was to set up the introduction of X-23 -- Laura -- as the new "Wolverine" character. So a man, leading or otherwise, would not be required at all. Rather, the character would be played by a woman.
Yes, I should have thought of that, especially as I've read some of her recent comics. As a character, she's been portrayed pretty well as the new Wolverine.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Yeah, but that's not how Hollywood works anymore.
Ride the cash train all the way to the station. If that means squeezing the last drop of story juice out of a character or just redoing the same stories over and over, so be it.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:49 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
"Logan" takes place in the future of the current X-Men timeline, so she as a character would not be a replacement for Wolverine in the X-Men.

This is a good opportunity to replace Jackman with a non-A-List actor and move the character to a lesser role. I suspect they will, indeed, do the former. Maybe also the latter.

They're not, in general, going to select an older actor--they will always pick someone who can give them a good 9-year run without getting too old.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Hollywood needs to find a way to clone Charles Bronson to play Logan. No one else will do.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:14 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,750 times
The Logan movie was awesome. Laura is the new Wolverine. The only actresses, I want to play an adult Laura is Nina Dobrev.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies