U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:43 AM
 
2,328 posts, read 1,243,723 times
Reputation: 3940

Advertisements

I personally can't watch movies that involve rape (male or female) or any kind of sexual torture. It is just too disturbing for me. I will watch movies about women and men who have been abused (Room, for instance) if they do not show the violent act. I do not need to see a violent rape take place. I also do not like to watch movies where young children are physically abused or hurt in any way.


Men fighting men, women fighting women, men fighting women... If it moves the story along and has something to do with the plot, I get it and can watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 PM
 
Location: middle of everywhere
1,778 posts, read 3,369,718 times
Reputation: 1571
Some movies are basically torture porn on women with some dialogue thrown in. Typically, a young women in underwear or scantily clad. I've noticed this in horror movies especially. Those movies are generally aimed at young men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
204 posts, read 48,101 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Am I the only one who finds it amusing that Chriz Brown is asking about violence against women? [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
You beat me to it. Amusing, maybe....ironic, definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 04:57 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 261,113 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
In movies and TV, film makers are usually more wiling to show males get injured, dismembered and violently attacked than women. Usually, when a woman is the victim of extreme violence, the camera will cut away from the act and just use a sound effect instead.

Obviously, this is not always true, but its pattern that is well known.

Thoughts?
What kind of question is that? I mean, who wants to see a girl get beat up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 261,113 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Hollywood doesn't do anything if it doesn't make money. People shell out billions of dollars to watch X-Men, Avengers, Bourne, Bond, etc. both kick butt and get their clocks cleaned. If people started talking with their wallets, things might change.
But most of the times in movies like this, the girls are not getting beat up. But if anything, the girls are doing the beating up.(Think Black Widow and Storm, etc.) Therefore, I don't get what your point is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Status: "Lock him up" (set 22 hours ago)
 
Location: DR Beach, FL
13,548 posts, read 5,023,132 times
Reputation: 10441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
In movies and TV, film makers are usually more wiling to show males get injured, dismembered and violently attacked than women. Usually, when a woman is the victim of extreme violence, the camera will cut away from the act and just use a sound effect instead.

Obviously, this is not always true, but its pattern that is well known.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that you've never watched Lifetime movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 261,113 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The point of the OP (which I somewhat forgot) is not who is doing the violence but who is having the violence done to them.

Audiences are very much titillated by the threat and thought of violence done to women (female audiences as much as male audiences), but few audiences are entertained by a graphic depiction of violence to women.

Violence done to women depicted graphically in most societies is still startling and disturbing. Like violence done to children, violence done to women is used to depict the most vile of villains, the bad guy who must surely be killed by the final reel, not just defeated.

This is probably, IMO, a continued social belief that women are intrinsically and individually more valuable to the survival of a society than males are...males are simply more expendable.
Good post. However, I don't think that I agree that a social belief is that males are simply more expendable than women. However, I believe that most people view women as the care givers and the nurturers and the gender that gives birth, therefore, I think that because of that, people intrinsically don't want to see women as the victims of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM
 
13,488 posts, read 6,574,588 times
Reputation: 12401
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Good post. However, I don't think that I agree that a social belief is that males are simply more expendable than women. However, I believe that most people view women as the care givers and the nurturers and the gender that gives birth, therefore, I think that because of that, people intrinsically don't want to see women as the victims of violence.
Only one bull needed in the pasture, only one rooster needed in the hen house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 261,113 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Only one bull needed in the pasture, only one rooster needed in the hen house.
Yeah, but are we talking about bulls and roosters... or are we talking about human beings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
24,143 posts, read 23,425,356 times
Reputation: 21556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I woulnt agree with your premise of violence against men being more accepted. Whole francises are based on violence against women, perpetrated by men. Criminal Minds comes to mind with its parade of nubile 20 year olds begging for their lives. Torture porn light.

Actually showing the hitting is more acceptable man on man. But I think that's because men hitting men is usually good guy vs bad guy. Whereas men beating women is just men beating women and yea, maybe we don't have much of a stomach for that reality.
You forgot to mention rapes and other forms of sexual assault. That sort of violence is also fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top