Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,290,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the original idea was to pick more typical average schlumps as the leading men, vs. dashing types or rugged cowboys, which used to be the stereotypes. Maybe with the new Presidency, tough, narcissistic businessmen will become the new male image. lol
...ala "Greed is good" Gordon Gekko from Wall Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,973,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Absolutely! These are things I find interesting and yes even thought about what it would be like to be one. Never have I ever thought of being swept off my feet by a prince or all the typical chick flick crap.
But not all women are interested in that either. You would probably know that if you broadened your horizons and watched more movies where the plot was more important then the body count or number of explosions. Women characters have a lot more to offer then being some cliche damsel in distress swept off her feet by prince charming.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:03 PM

25,444 posts, read 17,142,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Without trying to step on the toes of the feminist agenda in here. If my wife puts on a chick flick and invites me to watch with her I will. Would I pick one of these movies on my own? Nope. There are chick flicks too where the guy is some nerdy unwanted male that gets the hot girl in the end. I dont like those kinds of movies either. I just dont care for love and romance films. They always seem to misguide women into thinking we men should be like these fake perfect simpy guys in these movies. If the guys in the movies were more realistic, honest and normal, then maybe these movies would be good. To make a far comparison If my wife started asking me to be like Batman or Ironman after watching a superhero flick, I would stop liking those as well.
That ain't funny!
After watching "Last of The Mohicans" my wife asked me to grow my hair long and run through the woods for her.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,791,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But you relate to super heroes and hit men?
I love movies about hitmen, assassins, and spies. I also love revenge movies.

As for romantic comedies? That's rare. I quite enjoyed Swingers. Oh and Down With Love was fun.

As for "chick flicks?" Black Swan, Clueless, Mean Girls, Center Stage, Teen Witch, Two Can Play That Game (Vivical Fox offered a lot of laughs in this movie), Coming to America and Love and Basketball.

For some reason I thought I liked Boomerang, but it is really that I liked the soundtrack.

And I will stay far far far away from female lead buddy movies.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 PM

13,113 posts, read 20,866,564 times
Is the Princess Bride considered a "chick flick"? If so, I think guys watch it more than ladies.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 AM

22,899 posts, read 28,175,339 times
THE PRINCESS BRIDE is a nerd movie. Most people of all genders enjoy that movie. But nerds have seen it 50+ times and can recite most of the movie from memory. Yours truly included.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,867,198 times
Hmmmmm, how interesting looking at the responses for it seems there are two kinds of movies and their viewers. Those before the turn of the century and those after.

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, that I would agree with Gloria for looking at her article, it seemed we were both focused on movies before the turn of the century.

Which makes it interesting that in view of the responses, it seems that we have both missed the boat.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:28 AM

21,429 posts, read 10,516,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Overboard
Wedding Singer
Housesitter
Princess Bride
Clueless
Groundhog Day
Father Goose (hey! WWII and romantic comedy!)
While You Were Sleeping
Spaceballs
When Harry Met Sally
Sleepless in Seattle/You've Got Mail
The Money Pit
The Philadelphia Story
The Shop Around the Corner
Etc, etc...
Perfect list! I love every one of those movies, except maybe The Money Pit. I sort of watched it in bits and pieces when it came on cable ALL.THE.TIME. when I was in high school, so I grew to hope I never see the name of that movie again. Maybe I ought to watch it now and see if it's better as an adult that hasn't been oversaturated with it.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,945,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But not all women are interested in that either. You would probably know that if you broadened your horizons and watched more movies where the plot was more important then the body count or number of explosions. Women characters have a lot more to offer then being some cliche damsel in distress swept off her feet by prince charming.
I definitely watch more then just movies with body counts and explosions, but romance movies do nothing for me. I don't care what other women watch. I know what I like. I was speaking strictly to movies like The Notebook, 50 shades of grey, bridesmaids, she's the one, fault in our stars, the other woman, you get the idea...

Some movies mentioned in this thread I don't consider chick flicks, but comedies (clueless, overboard, mean girls, money pit,etc).

Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,973,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
. I was speaking strictly to movies like The Notebook, 50 shades of grey, bridesmaids, she's the one, fault in our stars, the other woman, you get the idea...
And I was speaking of the article in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies