U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:29 PM

850 posts, read 236,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hilarious! And she makes some good points. Some guy on a plane actually shouted out that he doesn't want a "chick flick"? When did flicks become gendered, anyway? In the old days, there were many films that had universal appeal. Was Dr. Zhivago a chick flick, or great literature? Was Pretty Woman a chick flick, or a guy's fantasy flick? Are going to have to search out gender-neutral films for the airlines, now?

I agree: Hidden Figures and Lion were good films. Oh, and let's not forget: Sully.

Exactly. In fact, in the real "old days" it was assumed that pretty much everyone went to the same movies. The romantic comedies (Holiday, Philadelphia Story) or romantic dramas (Casablanca, Rebecca) were for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 04:53 PM

6,555 posts, read 4,043,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
The problem (at least for me) with chick flicks, is that I don't relate to them
But you relate to super heroes and hit men?

Old 03-12-2017, 05:47 PM

469 posts, read 172,070 times
Quote:
lol, yeah that's the thing is the ridiculous generalizations these films get made with....as if men only like guns and cars and explosions, and women only romance fashion and gossip.

But unfortunately lots go to see these formulaic rom-coms and shoot-em-ups I don't get it. But theres lots going on right now that I don't get.

Yet still there are some good dramatic movies for intelligent men, and women. Recent ones being Theory of Everything, Still Alice, Imitation Game, Lion, Hidden Figures, Fences, and one I just watched Nocturnal Animals - wow, intense movie
Dave

Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Status: "Most annoying poster on cd - 1986pacecar" (set 8 days ago)

2,176 posts, read 1,163,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Absolutely! These are things I find interesting and yes even thought about what it would be like to be one. Never have I ever thought of being swept off my feet by a prince or all the typical chick flick crap.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 AM

7,086 posts, read 5,957,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Personally, I've always enjoyed "chick flicks". The stories are usually more interesting. And no, you may NOT have my man card.
What do you consider "Thelma and Louise"?

I went and say "The English Patient" based on the trailer I saw and assumed it was going to be a war movie.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 AM

12,126 posts, read 16,543,634 times
"Chick flicks" this guy enjoyed:

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING
LOVE ACTUALLY
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY (I actually love this movie)
FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL
MEAN GIRLS
SHE'S HAVING A BABY (John Hughes's most under-appreciated movie)
THE INTERN
THE ENGLISHMAN WHO WENT UP A HILL BUT CAME DOWN A MOUNTAIN (one of my favorites)

"Guy flicks" my wife enjoyed:

THE TERMINATOR
CITY SLICKERS
TRUE LIES
ROCKY (I challenge you to find a sweeter love story in all of cinema)
ROCKY II
ALMOST FAMOUS
WEDDING CRASHERS
UHF
DIE HARD

The issue should not be so much "chick flicks" vs "guy flicks" as it should be bad "chick flicks" (most movies with Jennifer Aniston) vs bad "guy flicks" (any movie withe Jean Clude van Dude and/or Stephen Segall).

Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 AM

38,186 posts, read 41,062,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"Chick flicks" this guy enjoyed:

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING
LOVE ACTUALLY
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY (I actually love this movie)
FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL
MEAN GIRLS
SHE'S HAVING A BABY (John Hughes's most under-appreciated movie)
THE INTERN
THE ENGLISHMAN WHO WENT UP A HILL BUT CAME DOWN A MOUNTAIN (one of my favorites)

"Guy flicks" my wife enjoyed:

THE TERMINATOR
CITY SLICKERS
TRUE LIES
ROCKY (I challenge you to find a sweeter love story in all of cinema)
ROCKY II
ALMOST FAMOUS
WEDDING CRASHERS
UHF
DIE HARD

The issue should not be so much "chick flicks" vs "guy flicks" as it should be bad "chick flicks" (most movies with Jennifer Aniston) vs bad "guy flicks" (any movie withe Jean Clude van Dude and/or Stephen Segall).
Well. Cuz besides Wedding Crashers (and maybe The Intern), those are all good movies.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Status: "Most annoying poster on cd - 1986pacecar" (set 8 days ago)

2,176 posts, read 1,163,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This is very true. I guess when I think chick flick I automatically think of some cliche romance movie. I love Mean Girls, but never thought of it as a chick flick. Like I said, chick flick to me means...sappy romance movies or dying girl meets guy who helps her live her final weeks to the fullest type of BS.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:07 AM

6,859 posts, read 4,820,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I went and saw "The English Patient" based on the trailer I saw and assumed it was going to be a war movie.
Man, we had a hard time sleeping after seeing that one. Found it depressing. It was a war story, but not really a war movie.

Romantic comedies are usually pretty bad, but there are some exceptions. Was "We Are The Millers" a romantic comedy? I thought it was pretty good.

And not all war movies are rotten. I read the history of Jadotville (Congo) before I saw the movie "Siege at Jadotville", and thought they did a really first rate job of telling a story that should be told.

Sometimes pointless violence can be done and made to be fun at the same time. "Kingsmen: The Secret Service" was good, and so was "Red" in that the violence portrayed was more a fantasy than anything else.

My wife watches Halmark. Yuk.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:10 AM

57,011 posts, read 46,300,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Exactly. In fact, in the real "old days" it was assumed that pretty much everyone went to the same movies. The romantic comedies (Holiday, Philadelphia Story) or romantic dramas (Casablanca, Rebecca) were for everyone.
Right. Almost anything with Audrey Hepburn might be considered a chick flick today, but in her day, the films appealed to everyone.

Does anyone remember The Tall Blond Man With One Black Shoe? And the Swedish Apple War? Foreign flicks are good for quirky comedies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies