U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 AM

41,009 posts, read 45,257,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Romantic comedies are usually pretty bad, but there are some exceptions. Was "We Are The Millers" a romantic comedy? I thought it was pretty good.

k.
Overboard
Wedding Singer
Housesitter
Princess Bride
Clueless
Groundhog Day
Father Goose (hey! WWII and romantic comedy!)
While You Were Sleeping
Spaceballs
When Harry Met Sally
Sleepless in Seattle/You've Got Mail
The Money Pit
The Philadelphia Story
The Shop Around the Corner
Etc, etc...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 AM

13,206 posts, read 17,894,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well. Cuz besides Wedding Crashers (and maybe The Intern), those are all good movies.
Precisely my point.

And for the record: WEDDING CRASHERS is hilarious. Low brow and crude? Yes. Very much. Definitely not a movie you want your 8 year old to watch. But for adults? It's hilarious.

THE INTERN was not a great movie by any means. But it was a good movie. Nice to see DeNiro playing a decent, every day guy again rather than a gangster or a cop.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:37 AM

13,206 posts, read 17,894,866 times
I'm pretty sure showing THE ENGLISH PATIENT to prisoners at Gitmo is one of the things that qualified as torture. Followed by BEACHES.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 AM

7,110 posts, read 3,704,154 times
Oh, boy!

Well, one can certainly see a lot to do for feminism in the movies but on the other hand, one can miss a lot of things in the movies.

Take the WWI flick "Fraulin Doktor" (if I get the spellings mixed up, forgive me; on satellite internet, download times to check things is excruciating slow). Done back in the 70s or so, was that a boy's joy (find some kind of term to describe it) or a chick flick?

Gloria mentions the war on terrorism and are we now on our 4th Nikita (including "Black Cat") representation? She talks about animals but what was "The Last Unicorn"?

Just as surely as feminism can find fighting ground in the movies, so can examples be shown that ground has be won.....even when the flick is so obviously in the other direction. "Old Dracula" is certainly a boy's joy but in the end, there is that sudden twist for her victory.

The thing is, some times I want a slow Chick Flick to relax to, such as "Roxanne" or if TV, "The Love Boat". Sometimes I want an action Chick Flick to fuel my fantasies, be something like "Close to Home" or a shafter like "Red Sonja" (whatever one might say about the flick, it did have at least one good, realistic scene to it.....that people really do get tired with those huge swords).

Alternately, why I pick a different theme flick can vary. I probably watched "Raid on Rommel" last night because it was an old favorite, it fit the theme night (Men & Women of Steel) and if I fell asleep on it, I wouldn't have missed anything. Back in my movie going days as an adult, it was often to get away from the world for 2 hours or so, to experience a different world, and then walk out into the sunlight, blinking, with a nice feeling. I have so many movies,seen or not, in my library that were made around when I was a child because I want to remember what it was like to feel as a child.

That last one is a curious thing for in my impressionable youth, it was often being feed to be vulnerable and to be the victim, say as in "The Shuttered Room" (or, "Cry of the Banshee" for that really influenced my fantasies). Gloria would probably argue that it should not be that way yet now that I have found my voice and am strong, how might I have turned out had it not been like that?

At any rate .......

Long, long ago in social studies on Clark AFB, it was pointed out that the airman coming back from maneuvers probably isn't going want to sit down to music with a lot of loud percussion and guitars. Similar thing here in that what does want to see at the moment and what kind of feeling does one want to walk away with?

When it comes to movies, that is probably all that really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hilarious! And she makes some good points. Some guy on a plane actually shouted out that he doesn't want a "chick flick"? When did flicks become gendered, anyway? In the old days, there were many films that had universal appeal. Was Dr. Zhivago a chick flick, or great literature? Was Pretty Woman a chick flick, or a guy's fantasy flick? Are going to have to search out gender-neutral films for the airlines, now?

I agree: Hidden Figures and Lion were good films. Oh, and let's not forget: Sully.
Does remind me of when a date was taking me to the movies and my choice was "Nell" and "Legends of the Fall". I took "Legends...." because Anthony Hopkins was in it and from my experience of "The Bounty" (I have never seen any of his Hannibal flicks and never will, too close to work), I knew he was a good draw for a movie.

A and B. A: We might see certain flicks based on genre. Lord knows, I often do now with my movie theme nights. Monday is swords and clubs, Tuesday: DIE, SPY!, Weds: SUPER CHICK, Thurs: Cops & Robbers, Fri: Horror, Sat: Sci-fi, & Sun mentioned above. Or we might not for that above can just be a guide to which movie might fit into that slot. POTC can find a place SMTWTF.....if not Saturday.

B: For some of us, movies can affected us very much in a bad way and we could end up like the airman mentioned above. I don't want to see "Flight 93" because I know for what I am, my "reflexes" will lock into the movie, they will be racing to find an answer where we know there is no answer, and I don't need that kind of stress. Similarly with "Sully" for that is not a fun movie to me. Maybe there are those who can ALWAYS tie into a movie and experience that temporary world but I'm afraid for most of us, there will always be some kind of movie that is not a pleasure to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Hollywood movies can't compete with Korean movies when it comes to chick flicks. Not even close. Thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime, I was introduce to some very good Korean movies.
Like Siri? (Shiri in some circles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But you relate to super heroes and hit men?
Sometimes.......sort of.

Such as "The Lady" in "Birds of Prey" (Jorge Moreno (sp?) flick) or Max's part in "Three Days of the Condor". In the latter case, I played him briefly in using his monologue of "The truth is, what I do is not a bad profession......".

That type of role is the A and B of things. The A part of is how precise one is, a great shot, excellent in hand to hand, things like that. And then, there is the B part, that of reality. Even if one manages to escape the law, one will probably burn in hell for all those they killed.

So, hence we have another A and B situation. The A of it that with a good movie, I can experience that world for a few hours without having to worry about damnation. The B part of it being is that it shows me a world where I can be a fighter instead of being expected to be married and a breeder as so much of reality and fantasy commands that I should be.

It's like being Selene, you know? Forever young and you have all these great toys to play with.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-13-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM

64,671 posts, read 54,272,463 times
The Blues Brothers.
Was that a guy flick, because of the over-the-top car crashes and explosions? I thought it was a spoof on car crashes, actually. It was pretty universal in appeal, if you like the music.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM

6,214 posts, read 3,922,606 times
Without trying to step on the toes of the feminist agenda in here. If my wife puts on a chick flick and invites me to watch with her I will. Would I pick one of these movies on my own? Nope. There are chick flicks too where the guy is some nerdy unwanted male that gets the hot girl in the end. I dont like those kinds of movies either. I just dont care for love and romance films. They always seem to misguide women into thinking we men should be like these fake perfect simpy guys in these movies. If the guys in the movies were more realistic, honest and normal, then maybe these movies would be good. To make a far comparison If my wife started asking me to be like Batman or Ironman after watching a superhero flick, I would stop liking those as well.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
The problem (at least for me) with chick flicks, is that I don't relate to them. I am not that starry eyed dreamer who fantasizes about prince charming and meeting some guy that changes my life. I don't relate to movies about girls and their gal pals who go on roadtrips and get drunk at bars and go home with random men. 50 shades of grey? No thanks. Not interested.

There is definitely that group of women who love those movies and more power to them.

I love action movies, horror movies and thrillers. Always have. I like movies about badass girls who take on the world and can take care of themselves. I like movies about badass guys too.
The guys in these movies are too squeaky clean to me and they tolerate most things a lot of guys wouldn't. As all of you women we men a severally flawed and we do tons of stuff you all hate in real life. These movie guys never do any of the things that come natural to men.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Without trying to step on the toes of the feminist agenda in here. If my wife puts on a chick flick and invites me to watch with her I will. Would I pick one of these movies on my own? Nope. There are chick flicks too where the guy is some nerdy unwanted male that gets the hot girl in the end. I dont like those kinds of movies either. I just dont care for love and romance films. They always seem to misguide women into thinking we men should be like these fake perfect simpy guys in these movies. If the guys in the movies were more realistic, honest and normal, then maybe these movies would be good. To make a far comparison If my wife started asking me to be like Batman or Ironman after watching a superhero flick, I would stop liking those as well.
This is hilarious! LOLOL! Thanks for posting! hahahahaha hee

Old 03-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
The guys in these movies are too squeaky clean to me and they tolerate most thing a lot of guys wouldn't. As all of you women we men a severally flawed and we do tons of stuff you all hate in real life. These movie guys never do any of the things that come natural to men.
I think the original idea was to pick more typical average schlumps as the leading men, vs. dashing types or rugged cowboys, which used to be the stereotypes. Maybe with the new Presidency, tough, narcissistic businessmen will become the new male image. lol

Old 03-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the original idea was to pick more typical average schlumps as the leading men, vs. dashing types or rugged cowboys, which used to be the stereotypes. Maybe with the new Presidency, tough, narcissistic businessmen will become the new male image. lol
Yea Ill take your examples. Dashing Men (I think I means attractive and well dressed) most men like this are not charming or sweethearts. They are azzholes and jerks. I am not saying their is anything wrong with being a jerk, but its just something guys do. The men in a lot of these romance "chick flicks" never say the "wrong" things. They have the most perfect no judgmental answers and they also never say no. If they started making movies were all the women were passive, busty, slim waist, didnt like spending money, agreeable and attractive all at the same time, most women in real life would HATE those movies. They would hate them even more if their boyfriends or husbands started nagging them to be more like these fake women in the movies. At least with comic book movies you are seeing a live action version of what you would read in a comic book or cartoon. Im also getting tired of the women being mean to men characters Hollywood loves to create. If you have a female character and she is a ****** type character she needs to be mean to everyone! Not just men. be mean to men, women, dogs, cats, birds etc. Be consistent with your bossiness and bad attitude. You have these female characters they are normal with women, but act like asses when with the men. Is that what woman want to see? There must be some sort of demand for these types of characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies