U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 01:33 PM

4,804 posts, read 1,351,350 times

Advertisements

I went to see "Paterson," specifically because of the good reviews, though I wasn't sure if the subject, Adam Driver as a bus driver who writes poetry, would be so great. But it was somehow fascinating.

It's very low-key, slow-paced, and contemplative, with hardly any plot to speak of, and Adam Driver's character is a pleasant low-key guy as well. The movie basically follows him for a week in his shabby neighborhood, and I kept thinking at a few points that the movie was going to pivot to something bigger like conventional movies, but it didn't.

But I have to say that it has really stayed with me, much more than most movies. I'm a big fan of movies showing ordinary life - not superheroes, not criminals - and this manages to still derail any expectations. For instance, you might expect that he writes privately because he has a nightmare marriage, but no - his wife is a lovely, cheery, supportive, loving partner (with a great nude seems that manages to be sexy while showing nothing). It's difficult to even say what it's ultimately about - maybe the search for creativity, or the ability to find beauty and meaning in mundanity?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paterson/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies