Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:26 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm at the opposite end. The recliners are a waste of space, make it more likely a person will doze off, and seem to encourage talking.

The reserved seating is a whole other problem, leaving you trapped.

I do agree about showing up late, though. The easy solution is to either wait a few weeks until the crowds die down, or else get your seat, then stroll out again to the bathrooms, concession stand, whatever, and return as the movie starts.
...fine for winter when you have a coat to reserve your seats or a buddy to stick around and save them for you....otherwise what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I think reclining seats are good for comedies/action movies. I'm the type to doze off when the recliner goes back lol
Reclining isn't required.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
I hate reserved seating because I feel trapped.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
The local Regal theater just replaced their seats (large, comfortable, tilt-armrests), with larger boxy recliners that have significantly less-comfortable cushions. Yes, the reclining is nice, but they are powered and I expect their lifetime to be about 18 months and doubt the theater will pay for maintenance.

Reservations:
Since I'm not the kind that just has to see the movie during the opening week, I usually don't need to reserve a seat to get in. But if all seats are reserved, and I choose to do it online, there's a pretty significant fee.

Commercials & Trailers:
My experience is that most movies have at-least 20 min of them. Just TOO long!

I'm not liking the way theaters are moving.
I have a vast movie collection at home and was gradually tapering off theaters when theaters came up with the stadium seating and it was worth the trip, expense, and distractions. Now, less so.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
I hate reserved seating because I feel trapped.
I'm curious why you feel trapped?

And yes, there are fees associated with online reservations, around $1.50 each ticket. But bypass that by joining their rewards club ($15/year). Cheap price to pay for convenience on knowing you have a reserved seat and don't have to fight to go early just to reserve your spot. It makes the movie-going experience so much more peaceful.

We were always stressed before when going to a big budget movie and praying that there were decent seats available when we walked into the theater. Now no more surprises.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
I LOVE being able to reserve seats in advance and not having to worry about being stuck sitting too close to a screen. Without reservations, I always want to go super early to get a good seat but DH doesn't like to do that. This keeps the peace. It makes the experience more relaxing.

I also enjoy the reclining seats but I do wonder if these make some people think they are in their own family room and thus, talk like they are in their own family room. I've found that when we go to older standard cinemas, there seems to be less talking. The AMC near me has very comfortable reclining seats but we went to a new Hollywood over the weekend and those recliners were less comfy. They seemed to be less padded.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I LOVE being able to reserve seats in advance and not having to worry about being stuck sitting too close to a screen. Without reservations, I always want to go super early to get a good seat but DH doesn't like to do that. This keeps the peace. It makes the experience more relaxing.

I also enjoy the reclining seats but I do wonder if these make some people think they are in their own family room and thus, talk like they are in their own family room. I've found that when we go to older standard cinemas, there seems to be less talking. The AMC near me has very comfortable reclining seats but we went to a new Hollywood over the weekend and those recliners were less comfy. They seemed to be less padded.
Yep, my wife is notorious for showing up early. For a 7pm show we would be out the door at 6:10 or so (we live 5 minutes away).

Now we pre-book and don't arrive until 6:55 or 7pm on the dot.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
  • I like the recliners.
  • I like the reserved seats, although I typically buy my tickets online from home now, rather than at the box office.
  • I like that the low walls separate you from the rows beneath you, so you can't see when people get out their cell phones. (No distracting glow.)
  • I like that when the seats are reclined, people can still walk in front of you without your having to adjust your chair or squinch your feet up or have someone's butt in your face.
  • I like the previews, too! :-) They're one of my favorite parts of the movie! (The only thing I hate is when it's the same previews over and over again.)

Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
  • I like the recliners.
  • I like the reserved seats, although I typically buy my tickets online from home now, rather than at the box office.
  • I like that the low walls separate you from the rows beneath you, so you can't see when people get out their cell phones. (No distracting glow.)
  • I like that when the seats are reclined, people can still walk in front of you without your having to adjust your chair or squinch your feet up or have someone's butt in your face.
  • I like the previews, too! :-) They're one of my favorite parts of the movie! (The only thing I hate is when it's the same previews over and over again.)
I agree on ALL points! :-)

Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I too absolutely love the recliners and reserved seats.

Those two factors have brought the joy of movie going back to me.

No more idiots kicking back of your seat, and you can reserve your seat without hassles of trying to beat the crowd for primo seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies