U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Her

263 posts, read 672,657 times

Advertisements

I feel like the odd man out, but I didn't care for the new version. I saw the new one, and went back to the old miniseries afterwards. Yes, the old one seems a little cheesy all these years later (scared the heck out of me when I was young), but in my opinion, Tim Curry's Pennywise is far scarier than Skarsgard's. I don't find his voice as commanding as Curry's, didn't care for his incessant drooling, and honestly felt like Georgie got what was coming to him lol. The new Pennywise looks so demonic there's no way a child would approach him. Too many jump scares for my taste, too. I will say I thought the actors playing the Losers were very well cast (but preferred the old Bowers). Eddie, Richie, and Beverly made the movie for me. But I found the new Pennywise really disappointing. Maybe one day Cary Fukanagua (spelling?) will get to see his version on the big screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Her

263 posts, read 672,657 times
Cary Fukunaga* CD wouldn't accept my edit.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:03 AM

8,309 posts, read 5,051,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
My 14 yr old wants to see this movie.you know the "but everyone at school has seen it" which is more r rated the book or movie?
I wouldn't think the violence or gore would be too bad for a 14 year old, has she seen other similar movies? Or even Stranger Things on Netflix or Scream on MTV?

The kids do curse a lot, and one of the boys does make a lot of dick jokes.

Here is the parents guide from IMDB:

Parents Guide - IMDb

Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 AM

11,834 posts, read 10,055,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
My 14 yr old wants to see this movie.you know the "but everyone at school has seen it" which is more r rated the book or movie?
Well, there's no sex scene in the movie (unlike the book). If your 14 year old has seen other R-rated horror movies, I think he or she could probably handle It.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 AM

16,525 posts, read 14,749,112 times
Here's my take on the two portrayals of Pennywise. Tim Curry played Pennywise as two distinct persoanas. You could buy him as a professional clown, he looked and acted the part of you circus clown. He could also be VERY menacing looking exactly the same and came across as a very bad and dangerous person, one that could definitely hurt you. Like a biker or hit man in white pancake makeup. But he did mostly seem human. Maybe that was good or bad, but the special effects were limitedin that production.
Skarsgard.... comes across as a sick geeky freak the whole time. Kids would shy away from him with his bucktoothed inbred smile and beady eyes. Adults would pick up a vibe of him being a creep and want to pound away or tell him to get lost or they'd call the cops. He wasn't physically intimidating, but the special effects did make him scary.
I wouldn't pay to see this movie but have watched the original and have seen clips this time around. From both films I got the distinct impression that when you remove Pennywise's ability to cause fear, he suddenly becomes very vulnerable and almost weak. He was easily dispatched in the first and in this one the children really beat his ass.
I wonder what other emotions would do to him. Hatred would be his second emotion of choice followed by sorrow, but would love drive him back or hurt him or would pity and disgust and ridicule damage him? Mr. Spock would probably capture him and find him a fascinating alien specimen.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM

3,894 posts, read 1,421,898 times
This movie's $tacking dollar$!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 4,755,496 times
Since the kids are a hit, this bodes well for Chapter 2, which should consist of at least a few flashbacks - especially with what was skipped over from Chapter 1.

Spoiler
especially Mike and Richie's smoke-hole vision, arrival of IT to Earth

Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM

16,525 posts, read 14,749,112 times
I finally figured out something that was bugging me. I knew the new Pennywise looked very familiar and even acted similarly to a character I'd seen somewhere before. I just couldn't place him. Then it dawned on me where I'd seen the look before... the hairstyle and mannerisms. Buddy Pine, AKA " Syndrome" from " The Incredibles". They could do a live action version and Skarsgard would be perfect for the role.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:19 PM

22,016 posts, read 12,161,649 times
My girlfriend and I saw it on the Thursday preview. She loved it, i didnt due to the horror aspects. I'm not really into blood and gore.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,652,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Saw it today. Liked it a lot. But it's shy of being great.
Agreed. It's the horror movie cliches that held it back a bit, for me. I wasn't that scared at most things, except the projector scene, which I felt worked well. I thought all the performances were really good, especially the characters Bill and Bev (I'm a fan of Bill Skarsgard too and he plays creepy quite well).

But it's the jump scares...so annoying! Makes you wonder if that was studio interference to make the movie 'scarier.' The kids were the heart of it, for sure. Struck me as very Stephen King/Stranger Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I finally figured out something that was bugging me. I knew the new Pennywise looked very familiar and even acted similarly to a character I'd seen somewhere before. I just couldn't place him. Then it dawned on me where I'd seen the look before... the hairstyle and mannerisms. Buddy Pine, AKA " Syndrome" from " The Incredibles". They could do a live action version and Skarsgard would be perfect for the role.
LOL you are not the first to notice that, but yeah, I could see it as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies