U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:43 PM

892 posts, read 1,944,356 times

Advertisements

Before i start my review..... POPCORN! pop pop pop!

Just came from the movies. .... HOLY S....

that's an epic movie. it seems kinds of slow at first, but it really is stretching and detailing the first part when they were kids. so its a whole movie of them as jr high/ high schoolers

no spoilers here whatsoever, but this is exactly what the tv movie would have been if it was released in theaters if that gives you any idea how gruesome and upfront it is.

dont go into this movie expecting to see the adults, you won't......until the sequel comes out since its already made 76 million dollars

its uncomfortable just like the book when it came to certain situations. if you read the book, you know what i'm talking about.

its not a 90 minute movie by any stretch, this is a 2 and a half hour flick.

pennywise is a weird b*stard.

not better than tim curry, but its almost like that one never existed because they didnt try to erase it or step on the toes of that one. its a whole different take, but not identical to the book.

bill skarsgard has a gift, he made pennywise his version. the first time you hear him speak it sounds like the monster that is pennywise hasn't spoken english before and that's as far as i'll go. with minor cgi, pennywise is creepy. you gotta see it for yourself.

some of the scenes are almost shot for shot with some lengthened which was really cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 PM

583 posts, read 237,093 times
I saw it yesterday and thought it was amazing. It was funny, creepy, scary, touching, nostalgic and sweet all in one package.

For those of you looking for a typical jump scare flick, you're likely to be disappointed. This is much more nuanced than a standard horror movie. There's definitely some scary moments, but it's also a coming of age story where a group of friends battle the human evils of the world, along with the demonic clown.

The child actors were amazing and their chemistry and banter reminded me of the kids in "Stand By Me." Ditto for the bullies. Bev's dad and the pharmicist were skeevy to the point where I had goosebumps.

Bill Sarsgard's take on Pennywise was great. Tim Curry will always be the original, but I felt Bill embodied the character in his own way.

I think the only minor flaws were some of the CGI wasn't great and the run time probably could've been shortened by 15-20 minutes, but otherwise it was awesome.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
The child actors were amazing and their chemistry and banter reminded me of the kids in "Stand By Me."

i noticed that too. when they got to the quarry, it hit me.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 PM

9,512 posts, read 5,474,526 times
It's almost like a Peanuts feature length horror film, where you wouldn't be surprised when all of the adults sounded like horns blowing instead of voices. Everything is from the kid's point of view.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 PM

14,430 posts, read 8,037,445 times
It made 51 million yesterday alone.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:48 PM

over 179 million worldwide

Old 09-10-2017, 02:26 PM

12,913 posts, read 11,386,945 times
Personally, I thought It was awful! It was torture to sit through and I really wanted to just walk out, but I kept hoping It would get better. It didn't.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:37 PM

14,430 posts, read 8,037,445 times
Incredibly, this movie was only made for 35 million so it already made back its budget by a huge factor.

Based on the opinions on this thread, seems like you either hate it or love it.

Since there's nothing else worth watching, I'll probably go see it next weekend.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:12 PM

2,944 posts, read 981,657 times
Wow! I wasn't expecting this:

'It' Devours Competition with Record-Breaking $117 Million Opening - Box Office Mojo

Therefore, I'm torn a bit since I hadn't had any real interest in this movie. Plus, the bad reviews in this thread and the fact that in the TV movie, "It" turned out to be...

Spoiler
a giant spider

doesn't help either.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM

2,944 posts, read 981,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Since there's nothing else worth watching, I'll probably go see it next weekend.
Hmmm. Perhaps that's the reason why this movie made $117 million dollars in its opening weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or