U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:39 AM

1,319 posts, read 289,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm going to see the movie tomorrow. Looking at the trailer, why would anyone think it was a sci fi fantasy movie?
Well...

1. There's a spontaneously growing tree in the middle of a beautiful garden.

2. Someone said: "He's having a hard time believing this is real."

3. There's two men running on water.

Therefore, if someone has never read or heard of the book, then how are they suppose to know that those things depict a 'religiously' themed movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 12:45 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,853,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Well...

1. There's a spontaneously growing tree in the middle of a beautiful garden.

2. Someone said: "He's having a hard time believing this is real."

3. There's two men running on water.

Therefore, if someone has never read or heard of the book, then how are they suppose to know that those things depict a 'religiously' themed movie?
None of those things are Sci FI tropes. They could indicate many different genres. Plus, the general description of the movie didn't indicate Sci fi.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
None of those things are Sci FI tropes. They could indicate many different genres.
Such as?....

Quote:
Plus, the general description of the movie didn't indicate Sci fi.
Hmmm. So what did the general description of this movie indicate?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 PM

Hmmm. For some reason, this seems like a sensitive subject for some, and perhaps I should have only said "yes" to bobisinthehouse's thread title question.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:44 AM

3,693 posts, read 4,498,004 times
Probably another case of the book is better than the movie. I tend not to see movie versions of books I've read as you just compare everything throughout... distracts a bit too much.

I'm as religious as a shoe, the book I enjoyed, the movie I doubt would hold water.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:04 AM

33,579 posts, read 24,430,346 times
Just watched this movie last night on Amazon Instant View and I loved it.

I LOVED the different depictions of God, and I loved the representation of the Holy Spirit as the Native American princess. Loved it.

My favorite line might have been when Papa showed up, this time as an old man, and told Mac that "today he was going to need a father."

The thing that really stuck with me, that was still on my mind this morning, was the whole idea of how we try to take God's place when we judge, and how short sighted our anger toward God is when His/Her judgment doesn't seem to line up with ours.

I thought it was a very powerful movie. I'd definitely recommend it to others. Well, I AM recommending it to others. Besides being a very compelling story, it was well acted and I thought the special effects were good. Not sure what the budget was for this film but they did a good job with it.

From what I understand, some elements of mainstream Christianity weren't too happy with this movie because they felt it was sacriligious or was too free in it's interpretation of God. It reminded me of Life of Pi, with it's universal theme of spirituality that transcends race and creed and culture. Some people aren't comfortable with that, but I certainly am.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:01 AM

13,801 posts, read 6,733,583 times
My wife watched it, and I wound up watching it over her shoulder.

I'm pretty conservative with regard to Christian doctrine, but more toward a basic doctrine (I suspect few of the things we Christians argue among ourselves about are significant in the long run). Depicting the various characteristics of God through different kinds of visual idioms doesn't bother me, so....

I'm not a Universalist, but I also don't know for sure where God draws the lines, so.....

I thought the movie made some authentic points and expressed some authentic "feels" in an effective manner.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:20 AM

33,579 posts, read 24,430,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My wife watched it, and I wound up watching it over her shoulder.

I'm pretty conservative with regard to Christian doctrine, but more toward a basic doctrine (I suspect few of the things we Christians argue among ourselves about are significant in the long run). Depicting the various characteristics of God through different kinds of visual idioms doesn't bother me, so....

I'm not a Universalist, but I also don't know for sure where God draws the lines, so.....

I thought the movie made some authentic points and expressed some authentic "feels" in an effective manner.
That is my take on it too, as well as my stand on basic Christianity. Most of what people argue about within Christianity is window dressing.

I loved loved loved the fact that in this movie God had so many different manifestations, without straying from basic Trinitarian theology.

It had sort of a Narnia feel to it in a way. A modern day Narnia feel.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:24 AM

212 posts, read 35,756 times
Didn't see it.

I actually wanted to until I heard it was a Christian oriented movie. I found that a bit isolating IMO.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:29 AM

13,801 posts, read 6,733,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsinSnow View Post
Didn't see it.

I actually wanted to until I heard it was a Christian oriented movie. I found that a bit isolating IMO.
What did you hear about it that made you want to see it and yet didn't reveal it had Christian themes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies