U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 12:10 AM

839 posts, read 302,241 times

Advertisements

Basically I feel that when a comedy centers around female characters, the writers and directors, just don't end up making them as funny as male characters in the same roles.

Basically they are willing to make male characters more dumb and stupid compared to women and therefore they are more funny as a result.

For example, when American Reunion came out, I remember a couple of critics saying they didn't like how they female characters were portrayed as sex crazed bimbos, or something along those lines.

But the men are portrayed that way? So shouldn't any sexism, end up canceling itself out, if both genders are portrayed that way? But when the women are, then people think it's a problem??

Or if you look at the new Three Stooges movie from 2012, there is no way, Hollywood would portray 3 female characters, acting that stupid, slapping each other, and poking each other in the eyes. But that is what makes the stooges so funny.

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion came closer, but the women still do not act as dumb as male characters such as the stooges, or A Night at the Roxbury, etc?

It just seems to me, that with women, Hollywood always wants them to play it semi-straight, and that is kind of unfair in my opinion, and it compromises the ability for both genders to be seen as both equally funny on screen.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies