U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 PM

140 posts, read 402,090 times

Advertisements

Solid biographical drama with good performances, especially by Keaton. I never knew this backstory of McDonald's and based on Wikipedia, it seemed to be pretty accurate. The actual founders were shown quite positively. Ray Croc appeared ruthless and unscrupulous but very driven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 2,521,905 times
I agree with the above.

I saw a documentary on McD's a few years ago and the movie tracked what I'd know pretty closely.
And Keaton did a very good job.

I grew up eating Sunday Lunches at one of the very first stores he opened north of Chicago. I remember sitting on those white tile benches on the sides of the building, looking in through the huge glass windows, as they assembly-lined the burgers. And had a chance to go to the Burger University that's nearby, the large campus used to train management.
All that from two or three core ideas. Wow

Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 PM

37 posts, read 4,880 times
Just watched this movie and loved it. Fascinating background story into how McDonald's came to be. I thought the movie did a great job telling all the characters' sories/ POV thereby making them all sympathetic, including Ray Kroc who was the visionary. Great performances all around. I highly recommend this movie.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:03 PM

1,233 posts, read 521,145 times
I enjoyed the movie. I read about the history of Mcdonalds but watching the movie is like history come alive. Felt sorry for the brothers who actually started a great fastfood though.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM

276 posts, read 88,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
Just watched this movie and loved it. Fascinating background story into how McDonald's came to be. I thought the movie did a great job telling all the characters' sories/ POV thereby making them all sympathetic, including Ray Kroc who was the visionary. Great performances all around. I highly recommend this movie.
I just saw the film last night and I could not muster up any sympathy for the character of Ray Kroc. From dumping his supportive wife to chase a younger woman who was willing to leave her own supportive husband to how he could not stop screwing the McDonald's brothers over, he was a POS. In the coda you even learn that after he made the McDonald's brothers rename their own business, he then placed a corporate McDonald's right across from them to run them out of business. That's ice cold - who the f--- could trust someone like that once you know what they did?

Aside from the actual flaws of Ray Kroc, I thought the film was great, and I had enjoyed 'The Blind Side' and 'Saving Mr. Banks' as well, all from the same director.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 PM

2,249 posts, read 976,363 times
The Founder was an amazing film. I'm not usually a Michael Keaton fan since he overacts so much in his roles. However, this is an extremely well-done, entertaining, and educational film. I'm a moderate fan of McDonald's food, and after seeing "Super Size Me" years ago, don't eat there that often -LOL.

I always like movies set in the 1950's, and this really recreated the time period quite well re: the fashion, cars, hair, clothes, etc.

Prior to seeing the film, I knew very little about the beginning(s) of McDonald's - however, I always thought that Ray Kroc actually created the whole concept, but didn't want to call it "Kroc's" because it didn't sound "right". I did not know that he stole the great & innovative ideas about fast food & fast service that the McDonald brothers came up with, as well as the company itself from them - truly reprehensible. Kroc was a piece of garbage, an unmitigated scum-bag, and a sorry excuse for a human being.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:32 PM

19,471 posts, read 39,641,574 times
We saw this some time ago--
I thought it was sad because it was time capsule for social expectations in that era...
Ray Kroc was so cut throat he set the standard for how so much of modern business is conducted...
But note that he was losing his shirt when he tried to grow the McDonald's business in his original way...he was losing money and getting overextended until the bank officer (BJ from The Office) explained to him he should go into the real estate business---buy the land and rent it back to the franchise owners...
That is how Kroc became a billionaire...
And the guy who showed him how to do it was kicked out at some point because he was a perceived threat to Kroc's control...

Old Today, 06:46 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,522,009 times
I enjoyed it. I've recommended it to others and I don't usually do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies