Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:18 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen The Thing since I was like 10 years old at my grandma's house I totally need to watch it again. It scared the #### out of me when I was a kid. It's been so long it will almost be like watching it again for the first time, sweet lol. Younger people today don't appreciate movies like Alien because they're too slow moving.

I love all of the Alien movies including Prometheus which was underrated imo..although I admit it had some silly plot holes. The new one should be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Personally I like neither. While I love sci-fi, these aren't really sci-fi stories, but much more like either the slasher flick or horror movie that happens to be set in a sci-fi world. If I want basic flash and dazzle sci-fi, I'll watch Star Wars. But if I want deep thought sci-fi, it has to be read. Movies are just too short to fit in the details that create good sci-fi.
I don't think that Alien and The Thing were trying to be real sci fi though. I mean that's like saying you don't like Lethal Weapon, cause it's not a real police procedural, for example.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Alien for sure. I can watch it over and over and yes it is the perfect monster in a box movie. The sci fi element makes it perfect. It makes it more than just horror because it isnt just some guy running around with a chainsaw that never jams or runs out of gas and can out run people half his size and be whereever he needs to be and cant be hurt or killed. On board a space ship is the perfect box and the alien is the perfect monster/slasher because we dont understand it entirely because it is an alien.

The Thing I have only seen a couple of times but I think you touched on a few flaws that Alien just doesnt have.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:28 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Enjoyed them both, A LOT! But I think Alien wins out for me, however, I haven't watched The Thing in ages and they were years apart when I saw them first to begin with. I do remember I had to watch The thing in bits as I was scared _hitless the first time I tried watching it, I was only finally able to get through it during the day time. I believe I had caught it on Showtime way back when. I'm pretty sure Alien had similar effect on me back then as well, but, I'll never forget how much TT scared me first couple times out.

Guess I'll have to watch The Thing again to see if it's as scary as I remember, I do know I didn't care for Malamute breeds all that much for a very long time and my landlady who lived below me, at the very time, had one.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:52 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Alien is iconic.
The Thing is a remake, albeit a creative one.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The Thing is a remake.
I'm not sure that's entirely fair. The original THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) was based on the story Who Goes There? But based VERY loosely.

Carpenter's THE THING (1982) was not so much a remake of the original movie as it was going back closer to the original source material.

So if we're going to call THE THING (1982) a remake, we ought to stipulate that it was a remake of the original novella. But so was THE THING (1951). Technically, they're both remakes.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:57 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
The Thing from Another World is an adaptation. So is The Thing (1982).

Now The Thing from 2011? That's a remake — of Carpenter's film, as much as they don't want to admit it. A bad one, too. Prequel, shmequel!

Old 05-04-2017, 01:50 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm not sure that's entirely fair. The original THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) was based on the story Who Goes There? But based VERY loosely.

Carpenter's THE THING (1982) was not so much a remake of the original movie as it was going back closer to the original source material.

So if we're going to call THE THING (1982) a remake, we ought to stipulate that it was a remake of the original novella. But so was THE THING (1951). Technically, they're both remakes.
Whatever.

The bottom line is that the original 1951 The Thing from Another World was a far superior movie to the 1982 remake. Alien is a masterpiece classic that stands along 1951's The Thing in stature and they both dwarf the 1982 film.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:35 PM

509 posts, read 484,526 times
It is actually interesting to compare the two; I had never considered their similarities before. Alien is probably a better-made movie overall, and deserves its reputation. However, I thought the more modest-scale The Thing was a lot scarier to me. Part of it might even be the cheaper production values. Alien looks so good as a movie that it almost seems too clinical and antiseptic to be too scary, while the shadows and breath vapor and ramshackle base in The Thing makes it more foreboding. Plus, with Alien, I have to accept the premise of flying through deep space before accepting the alien itself, whereas with The Thing, I can accept the Antarctic base as a real location, which removes a barrier between the action and the audience's belief.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Whatever.

The bottom line is that the original 1951 The Thing from Another World was a far superior movie to the 1982 remake. Alien is a masterpiece classic that stands along 1951's The Thing in stature and they both dwarf the 1982 film.
Translation: you prefer The Thing from Another World to John Carpenter's The Thing. That's it. The former is not a "better" movie. The only thing the films share is the premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies