Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 10:18 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times

Advertisements

It does look good. It just showed a lot for a first trailer (and Hall H's audience got to see even more).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:03 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There are probably all of two quips in that trailer, haha.
And maybe I'm just being overly sensitive about it. I am bathosed out. Humor is better when it is genuine and not snark and sarcasm. But comic book movies can't seem to understand this.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And maybe I'm just being overly sensitive about it. I am bathosed out. Humor is better when it is genuine and not snark and sarcasm. But comic book movies can't seem to understand this.
So how was Ant-Man & The Wasp? I haven't seen it. I assume it delivers a potent bathos drenching.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
I must be missing something here, as I genuinely find sarcasm, in movies, when done well, funny as heck, ie Deadpool movies and Seinfeld's humor. It can be overdone, misplaced and disingenuous in the wrong hands though, it has to flow naturally.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
So how was Ant-Man & The Wasp? I haven't seen it. I assume it delivers a potent bathos drenching.
It's a movie where a 4 ft ant plays the drums. It basically has the same tone as Scooby Doo. It's fun, but you can't take any of it seriously.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I must be missing something here, as I genuinely find sarcasm, in movies, when done well, funny as heck, ie Deadpool movies and Seinfeld's humor. It can be overdone, misplaced and disingenuous in the wrong hands though, it has to flow naturally.
Sarcasm has its place, but it seems that it is the only form of humor that super hero movies use. Too much of a good thing can go bad.

JAWS is very funny in parts. None of it is sarcastic. Same with RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or ALIENS or APOCALYPSE NOW or STAR WARS.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Sarcasm has its place, but it seems that it is the only form of humor that super hero movies use. Too much of a good thing can go bad.

JAWS is very funny in parts. None of it is sarcastic. Same with RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or ALIENS or APOCALYPSE NOW or STAR WARS.
In Jaws, you had certain characters who were naturally sarcastic and that worked, same as in "Deadpool", though, I didn't feel it worked for one or two characters in DP, but, the main character, definitely, it works. And I have seen it overdone for a few in other movies now and again. If too much, I do start to and get impatient, so I guess I get where you're coming from. I personally think it's overdone in "Star Wars", but, then I'm not much of a fan to begin with, so, my judgment there may be skewed.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:28 PM

To each his or her own. I hated Deadpool.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
To each his or her own. I hated Deadpool.
just < That's sarcasm, really not ......

Old 07-27-2018, 08:59 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
In Jaws, you had certain characters who were naturally sarcastic and that worked, .
That wasn't where the humorous parts of Jaws were.

For instance, the scene where Quint and Hooper are doing war-story bonding by comparing scars. Brody thinks for a moment about mentioning the only scar he has--an appendectomy scar--and thinks better about mentioning it. That was funny.

Or the classic scene of "We're gonna need a bigger boat." It wasn't delivered as a quip or sarcasm. It was a bleat, one of those moments when someone is faced with something completely out of his experience and his brain climbs out of his scull and yammers the first thing it can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies