U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 12:57 PM

607 posts, read 169,932 times

Advertisements

The Straight Story, starring Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek. A story of an old man who hears his estranged brother is dying, and travels across the US to see him one more time. His only mode of transportation is a John Deere tractor, and as he travels across the US, he stops to camp at night by the roadside and cooks hot dogs. It's about what happens to him along the way, and the people he meets. And who come sit next to him and share his meal. It's a gentle, sweet, humorous, sad, touching movie that's a pleasure to watch.

Rotten Tomatoes 96%, Roger Ebert 4/4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 02:05 PM

29,593 posts, read 50,917,259 times
Some of John Sayles' lesser-known films are among my all-time favorite movies, especially City of Hope from 1991, which shows up on cable TV every now and then but has never been released on DVD.

Another favorite is 11:14 from 2003, one of those movies you've never heard of filled with actors that everyone's heard of.

An old movie that pops up on TCM once every four or five years is One Potato, Two Potato from 1964, with Barbara Barrie and Bernie Hamilton as an interracial couple challenged by prejudice and a custody hearing for the woman's daughter by her first husband. It is gut-wrenching. Barbara Barrie won an award at Cannes for her role, and the film was nominated for an Oscar or two, but it's not very well-known. The only reason I watched it on TV was because it was filmed in the neighborhood where I used to live in Painesville, Ohio - but it was really worth watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Harper Valley PTA
Filmed in Lebanon, Ohio -- the local movie house had a 10th-anniversary showing of the film on a Sunday afternoon, and my friends and I were the only ones who showed up! So disappointing!

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-21-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 02:07 PM

646 posts, read 218,164 times
"City Island."
Andy Garcia is a corrections officer, married to Julianna Margulies, and living on City Island, in the Bronx, NYC, with their two children, a daughter, 19 or 20 years old who has acquired breast implants, and is working as a stripper to get money for her education.
There is also a young teenage son, who has a fetish for feeding the fat woman neighbour.
Garcia also has an illegitimate son, incarcerated in the jail where he works, and gets him out of jail and employs him as a hired hand in order to get to know him.
Margulies sexually goes after Garcia's son, without realising that he's her illegitimate stepson.
I caught it on TV a few years ago, and wish that I'd recorded it, it was hilarious IMO.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:15 PM

8,023 posts, read 4,225,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The Straight Story, starring Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek. A story of an old man who hears his estranged brother is dying, and travels across the US to see him one more time. His only mode of transportation is a John Deere tractor, and as he travels across the US, he stops to camp at night by the roadside and cooks hot dogs. It's about what happens to him along the way, and the people he meets. And who come sit next to him and share his meal. It's a gentle, sweet, humorous, sad, touching movie that's a pleasure to watch.

Rotten Tomatoes 96%, Roger Ebert 4/4.
Talk about a sleeper - and who would have guessed..., directed by David Lynch.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
This Is England. One of my favorite movies of all-time, criminally underrated. Stephan Graham gave the best performance of his career in this film.
You may also like this...

Old 05-21-2017, 02:26 PM

11,260 posts, read 18,836,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Not sure if they are truly obscure, but most people I know haven't seen them. They are some of my favorites ever:

A Patch of Blue
In Bruges
The Mission

I know these 2 aren't obscure to those of us of a certain age, but a lot of people haven't seen them.

Fantasia
To Sir with love
In Bruges was fantastic - excellent mention for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Ditto! Also, Little Darlings is not available on NTSC-format DVD (you may be able to score a PAL DVD from Europe via Amazon), but the remastered video has been shown on good ol' TCM.
Little Darlings was the coming of age movie with Tatum O'Neal and Kristy McNichol, right? I've seen that one a few times, as well as Harper Valley PTA.

Another coming of age movie few have heard of is Mischief, with Kelly Preston.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 PM

coming of age?

Fish Tank (2009), directed by Andrea Arnold

Novio a la vista (1953) aka Boyfriend in Sight, directed by Luis Garcia Berlanga

Old 05-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Status: "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get! (Amish folk saying)" (set 21 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 5,043,196 times
Nothing But a Man (1964), an "everyman" story created by the late Ivan Dixon, a man of many talents, but regrettably. probably best remembered for a "token" role in the banal TV sitcom Hogan's Heroes. He deserved much better.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:07 PM

1,394 posts, read 428,480 times
The rapture 1991 with Mimi Rogers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rk5ZBhnCA8

Afterhours 1985 directed by Martin Scorsee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLHM-wPecz0

GO 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQHx7atEh1w

I feel these movies really captured the spirit of those times....

Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 428,480 times
Not sure how obscure this one is, but it was great, and definitely not a mainstream film
(hint, its something along the lines of My Mothers Eyes, which was another great foreign film/ horror movie)- its horror but pretty artfully done.

the Handmaiden 2016

Ah-ga-ssi (2016) - IMDb

(and definitely not what you expect to happen )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies