Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:56 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,543,801 times

Advertisements

'The Red Violin'. It's 'star' is Sam Jackson, but there's no cursing, no guns...it's not a movie, it's a film, if you can dig it.

So yeah, 'The Red Violin'. It follows the course of a rare, one-of-a-kind violin through history, from its creation in the 17th century to the present day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feDUcDRNAg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,129,399 times
Bubba Ho-Tep.

“Bubba Ho-Tep is about foul-mouthed ancient mummies, conspiracy theories, and the ultimate battle between good and evil. It’s also a surprisingly layered tale about growing old, regrets, and redemption. And it stars Bruce Campbell as Elvis Presley. Is this the perfect B-movie? If not, it’s damn near close.: deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa9331xmvhg

Old 05-16-2017, 09:44 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,944,693 times
Oh yeah...anything by Troma films. Oh the memories of Troma.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:55 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,596,973 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vno5JCCDKIA

Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,110,100 times
What are we gonna do about him?

I don't know dear. We could always strangle him while he's asleep.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:55 PM

509 posts, read 482,891 times
Search And Destroy (1995) with a great cast of Griffin Dunne, Dennis Hopper, Rosanna Arquette, Ethan Hawke, Illeana Douglas, Christopher Walken, John Turturro, and Martin Scorsese (in an acting role).

Not a great flick by any means, it is one of the more amusing and engrossing "mediocre" movies ever. <---How is that for a tagline?

Dennis Hopper plays a late night TV self-help guru who has written a self-help book based on his own experiences ("after 20 years of screw up behavior", as he puts it). Career loser Griffin Dunne wants to make a film based on the book, despite having no money to do so. Christopher Walken, a charming and debonair drug dealer, turns out to be an obsessed fan of the very same book and agrees to help Dunne get the dough. As one might expect when enlisting Christopher Walken for anything, really weird trouble ensues...

This movie almost always rates a **1/2 rating by most reviewers, and I can't really quarrel with that much, although I'd offer a full ***. Without spoiling the movie, I'll just say there are some flaws in it. However, the performances by the actors are absolutely perfect for their roles, the writing is sharp and witty, the story is compelling and provides some great twists, and there is even some substance to some of its themes...

I was thoroughly entertained by it, but I came away thinking "I can't put my finger on it, but it should have been better..."

And yet, despite this lukewarm-sounding assessment, I would heartily recommend this film to anyone who likes the work of any of those named above. You'll enjoy it, even if you wish it were something just a little more...

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxUppySYjHY

Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,126,405 times
If you're hoping to get people to watch it, don't you think it would help to discuss why you like it?

Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,596,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
If you're hoping to get people to watch it, don't you think it would help to discuss why you like it?
You're right.

Above, I posted the trailer to The Boys Next Door, a relic from 1985 that starred a very young Charlie Sheen, in his second major role (he was in Red Dawn before that), and Maxwell Caulfield — "that guy" from Grease 2 who went from geek boy to greaser stud in ninety minutes.

Charlie and Maxwell play Bo and Roy, respectively, two friends who have no other friends. They're about to graduate high school and have absolutely no idea what to do next. That's not a good thing when a guy like Roy is about to come unhinged. And so it happens that they make an impromptu trip to Los Angeles and then people they run across start dying.

It's a dark chronicle of a movie that holds no punches, excuses itself from self-awareness, and has no happy ending.

Btw, the film was directed by Penelope Spheeris, of The Decline of Western Civilization and Wayne's World fame.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,090,958 times
This Is England. One of my favorite movies of all-time, criminally underrated. Stephan Graham gave the best performance of his career in this film.

It's about a young boy who ends up being brainwashed and joining an nationalist hate group in 1980s England.

Powerful, powerful stuff. 93% on Rottentomatoes.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 PM

109 posts, read 66,142 times
Fire In The Sky (1993)

One of the best alien-abduction movies I've seen, and it's based on a true story, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies