Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:47 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times

Advertisements

The Color of Paradise

The Color of Paradise (1999) - IMDb

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_RvGYkUhEk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 07:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
"Sometimes a great notion" The novel was written by Ken Kesey and adapted for film in the 70's. The movie is about independent Oregon loggers and stars Henry Fonda, Paul Newman, Michael Sorenson, Lee Remick. A really good book and a great movie!

Old 05-20-2017, 10:54 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
Corvette Summer from 1978. The first movie Mark Hamil did after Star Wars.
I remember that movie. I wouldn't call it obscure, but I guess if you were too young or not born yet, it would be obscure. For some reason, some old movies are all over the place but others never seem to play anymore.

I loved the movies Little Darlings and Harper Valley PTA, but sadly I doubt anyone younger than me has ever heard of those movies because you never see them on tv or cable anymore, and I don't know if they ever made it to video. If they made it to VHS, they don't appear to have made it to DVD.

In my opinion, those movies were better than Corvette Summer. All I seem to recall was a lot of pinball.

EDIT: I just googled to make sure I was right about pinball or if I was confusing that with another movie (couldn't confirm or deny), but I did find out it made it to video and is now enjoying cult movie status. Interesting. I guess having Mark Hamil in it kept it out of total obscurity.

Last edited by katygirl68; 05-20-2017 at 11:04 PM..

Old 05-20-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
'The Red Violin'. It's 'star' is Sam Jackson, but there's no cursing, no guns...it's not a movie, it's a film, if you can dig it.

So yeah, 'The Red Violin'. It follows the course of a rare, one-of-a-kind violin through history, from its creation in the 17th century to the present day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feDUcDRNAg
Thanks for the reminder! Someone a few years ago mentioned that movie on here and I tried to remember it later because it sounded so interesting. I need to actually look for it this time.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm loving this thread. Another good one that I've never forgotten. Every time someone jokes about peeing in a pool I think of this movie. Some weird stuff.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 AM

743 posts, read 441,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I remember that movie. I wouldn't call it obscure, but I guess if you were too young or not born yet, it would be obscure. For some reason, some old movies are all over the place but others never seem to play anymore.

I loved the movies Little Darlings and Harper Valley PTA, but sadly I doubt anyone younger than me has ever heard of those movies because you never see them on tv or cable anymore, and I don't know if they ever made it to video. If they made it to VHS, they don't appear to have made it to DVD.

In my opinion, those movies were better than Corvette Summer. All I seem to recall was a lot of pinball.

EDIT: I just googled to make sure I was right about pinball or if I was confusing that with another movie (couldn't confirm or deny), but I did find out it made it to video and is now enjoying cult movie status. Interesting. I guess having Mark Hamil in it kept it out of total obscurity.
Actually I was eight years old when Corvette Summer came out and although I remember it from when it was new, I didn't actually see it until 1987 when I was 17. I taped it off the TV and spent 1988-2006 watching my VHS copy until the DVD came out in the latter year. Ever since my yearly viewing has been that.

I have heard of both Little Darlings and Harper Valley PTA but Have never seen either although I used to watch the Harper TV series with my mom. She liked that show alot.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:54 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Anything by Abbas Kiarostami.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Not sure if they are truly obscure, but most people I know haven't seen them. They are some of my favorites ever:

A Patch of Blue
In Bruges
The Mission

I know these 2 aren't obscure to those of us of a certain age, but a lot of people haven't seen them.

Fantasia
To Sir with love

Old 05-21-2017, 11:32 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
Actually I was eight years old when Corvette Summer came out and although I remember it from when it was new, I didn't actually see it until 1987 when I was 17. I taped it off the TV and spent 1988-2006 watching my VHS copy until the DVD came out in the latter year. Ever since my yearly viewing has been that.

I have heard of both Little Darlings and Harper Valley PTA but Have never seen either although I used to watch the Harper TV series with my mom. She liked that show alot.
Ditto! Also, Little Darlings is not available on NTSC-format DVD (you may be able to score a PAL DVD from Europe via Amazon), but the remastered video has been shown on good ol' TCM.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
I like the sci-fi movie the machine.

The Machine (2013) - IMDb

Not sure if these are obscure or not. But maybe because their foreign language films.

1. the downfall

Downfall (2004) - IMDb

2. Heaven and earth

Heaven and Earth (1990) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies