U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 PM

12,721 posts, read 9,779,003 times

Advertisements

Saw this movie in the theatre. Read the book later. I was only in the 2nd grade when I saw the movie the first time. I remember it scared me pretty good. Watching it again after I was older and had read the book was a different experience. The scene with the buzzards dieing in the streets as the team came in to the town (Piedmont NM was it?) sticks with me....and when they cut open the wrist on the body and the blood ran out like sand. Yeeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 12:46 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,771,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
Michael Crichton, the author of "The Andromeda Strain", was quite prolific.

He also penned:

- The Terminal Man (1972)
- The Great Train Robbery (1975)
- Congo (1980)
- Sphere (1987)
- Jurassic Park (1990)
- Disclosure (1994)

The above is just a small sample of what he authored.
Airframe is very good. Eaters of the Dead was also made into a movie - The 13th Warrior.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 AM

7,125 posts, read 3,719,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Saw this movie in the theatre. Read the book later. I was only in the 2nd grade when I saw the movie the first time. I remember it scared me pretty good. Watching it again after I was older and had read the book was a different experience. The scene with the buzzards dieing in the streets as the team came in to the town (Piedmont NM was it?) sticks with me....and when they cut open the wrist on the body and the blood ran out like sand. Yeeks!
Piedmont it was....though I understand the location shot was here in Texas

Mom was with me at the Clark AFB theater and when Drs. Stone and Hall walked into the the country doc's office and found the Scoop satellite opened with a hammer and chisel, Mom told me that if I ever find anything mysterious, don't try to open it.

As things go, I referenced this movie just last night. I was talking about fire fighting systems, talking about what it is like to be in a room filled with carbon dioxide and referenced this flick with a behind the scenes example. Ie, from IMDB:

"A few additional details about the controversial death scene of the monkey in the laboratory: 1) It was approved by the ASPCA who was present during the filming of the scene. 2) While the monkey was filmed suffocating on CO2, assistant director James Fargo was standing just off camera wearing scuba gear and holding a second oxygen source. 3) The monkey was revived just seconds after going unconscious - a little too fast as it turns out. Watching the scene closely, the viewer can clearly see a shadow moving towards the monkey just as it goes limp. And since there was only one take it couldn't be edited out."

I suppose I might have taped the modern version when it was on TV and I had cable, but if so, I have never bothered to watch it. I suppose I have no wish to see another retelling since I hold the first to be the best.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:30 AM

30 posts, read 12,585 times
Yeah its worth the watch, hardly see movies like these nowadays

Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 AM

28,850 posts, read 29,461,691 times
I saw it in the theater when I was a teen and it had a huge impact on me. I read the book later and then saw the film again about 15 years ago. I think about it when anyone talks about epilepsy or seizures.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM

15,430 posts, read 7,840,813 times
Let's start an internet rumor: It actually happened.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 AM

7,125 posts, read 3,719,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Let's start an internet rumor: It actually happened.
Wow, that could be a good one, prove that the story is fake.

Well, for one thing, in the movie, the plane that went down is called a Phantom, that it was an F-4......yet the crash site clearly shows an F-100.

So either it was a movie with a continuity error....................or they are not telling us the whole story.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Wow, that could be a good one, prove that the story is fake.

Well, for one thing, in the movie, the plane that went down is called a Phantom, that it was an F-4......yet the crash site clearly shows an F-100.

So either it was a movie with a continuity error....................or they are not telling us the whole story.
They both went down.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:58 AM

12,721 posts, read 9,779,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Piedmont it was....though I understand the location shot was here in Texas

Mom was with me at the Clark AFB theater and when Drs. Stone and Hall walked into the the country doc's office and found the Scoop satellite opened with a hammer and chisel, Mom told me that if I ever find anything mysterious, don't try to open it.

As things go, I referenced this movie just last night. I was talking about fire fighting systems, talking about what it is like to be in a room filled with carbon dioxide and referenced this flick with a behind the scenes example. Ie, from IMDB:

"A few additional details about the controversial death scene of the monkey in the laboratory: 1) It was approved by the ASPCA who was present during the filming of the scene. 2) While the monkey was filmed suffocating on CO2, assistant director James Fargo was standing just off camera wearing scuba gear and holding a second oxygen source. 3) The monkey was revived just seconds after going unconscious - a little too fast as it turns out. Watching the scene closely, the viewer can clearly see a shadow moving towards the monkey just as it goes limp. And since there was only one take it couldn't be edited out."

I suppose I might have taped the modern version when it was on TV and I had cable, but if so, I have never bothered to watch it. I suppose I have no wish to see another retelling since I hold the first to be the best.

Funny. lol. I saw it on a base theatre to. Hawthorne NAD. I think being a military kid and being on the inside of all that security and secret squirrel stuff may have made movies like this a different experience for us.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Funny. lol. I saw it on a base theatre to. Hawthorne NAD. I think being a military kid and being on the inside of all that security and secret squirrel stuff may have made movies like this a different experience for us.
I saw War Games at the Offutt AFB (Hq Strategic Air Command) theater. Very different audience reactions to things in that movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies