U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:48 AM

12,718 posts, read 9,779,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I saw War Games at the Offutt AFB (Hq Strategic Air Command) theater. Very different audience reactions to things in that movie.

Oh, I'm sure. lol. I also saw Escape from the Planet of the Apes on that base, and audience reaction was quite different than it would be in a civilian showhouse. The Andromeda Strain was like WAY on the inside of Secret Squirrel. At the time I saw those movies ( and the base I was on is next door to Dreamland btw) the SR 71 was still being wrung out.

NAS Fallon was just a blip on the military map and was a long ways from being Naval Fighter Weapons Training school. That's just a short drive from where I'm sitting right now. Audience reaction to military movies is quite different from off base shows as opposed to active duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:37 AM

7,125 posts, read 3,719,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
........Audience reaction to military movies is quite different from off base shows as opposed to active duty.
In more ways than one. Take for instance the bombs, "First Family" and "Deal of the Century". Bombs at the civilian box office but my father who had done MAG work, found them hilarious!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 PM

1,454 posts, read 898,195 times
yes great movie,at times it feels almost like a documentary.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:36 PM

15,430 posts, read 7,840,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
yes great movie,at times it feels almost like a documentary.
It was a documentary. After it was inadvertently leaked, the CIA arranged to have it re-edited as though it were fiction.

The moon landing was faked, but the Andromeda Strain was the real thing.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,692,308 times
Quote:
... The moon landing was faked, ... .
True. I read that NASA actually hired Stanley Kubrick to film the fake moon landing.
However, it cost an Insane amount of money because Kubrick was such a perfectionist that he demanded it be filmed On Location.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
True. I read that NASA actually hired Stanley Kubrick to film the fake moon landing.
However, it cost an Insane amount of money because Kubrick was such a perfectionist that he demanded it be filmed On Location.
LOL. Perfect.

Writing that one down.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:49 AM

7,125 posts, read 3,719,038 times
Quote:
LOL. Perfect.

Writing that one down.
That's like the answer at the press conference about one of the interstellar probes.

It went something like this, question to major subcontractor on, say a Voyager probe:

Newsman: Did your company offer any kind warranty?

Company Rep: Sure! Anything ever happens to it, just return it to us and we'll replace it free!

Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 AM

9,197 posts, read 7,066,275 times
Did anyone watch the remake on A&E? I personally hated it with a passion.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Watched it. It sucked. For on thing, it changed the basic premise of a straightforward, realistic and rational reaction to a genuine potential problem into a conspiracy theory melodrama.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM

10,579 posts, read 5,935,047 times
Quote:
Quote:
Watched it. It sucked. For on thing, it changed the basic premise of a straightforward, realistic and rational reaction to a genuine potential problem into a conspiracy theory melodrama.
That's not why ELOrocks17 hates it.

Quote:
Anyone see this classic movie? I really enjoyed the scientific approach they used. not having to dumb down the dialog. Its a movie that really makes you think and a movie you have to pay attention to. I really wish they would make movies like this nowadays. And of course, i am referring to the 1970's version, not the ultra pc rainbow cast remake
Too many women and non-whites cast in roles that he thinks are only fit for men and whites just ruin a film for him. That's why he's devoted two separate posts to complaining about a forgettable miniseries no one else wastes any time thinking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies