U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 1,960,503 times

Advertisements

I think it's just a side effect of big-budget filmmaking becoming more international.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:31 PM

13,788 posts, read 6,729,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
They are cheaper to hire? Also, haven't you noticed that aliens always speak with British accent? It's some sort of fixation on British accent I'd be more curious about, than where actors came from. Aliens - BA, scientists - BA, villains - BA, intelligence - BA. So on. Sort of "superiority" accent.
Can't trust any of those conniving English-speaking foreigners. Even more come from Canada, with that sneaky Canadian accent. Blame Canada!

Old 06-05-2017, 04:41 PM

9,817 posts, read 4,931,568 times
I mentioned this a while ago, but it does seem American producers both TV and motion pictures cast a lot of foreign white actors, especially from Europe and the U.K.

Seems like practically every major American movie has at least one British side kick or comic relief in it.

For those that live in the U.K., does British TV/movie industry return the favor?

Not saying anything is necessarily wrong, but it is noticeable.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM

12,906 posts, read 17,648,535 times
There always have been, this is nothing new.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,289,532 times
A lot of it also has to do with where the movie is being filmed. Not all Hollywood movies are filmed in the US. Using the previously mentioned original Star Wars as an example ... much of it was filmed in the UK.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:39 AM

1,306 posts, read 288,585 times
I think that the British accent sounds more dignified than the American accents, and I believe that often times movie makers want certain characters to have that sort of accent.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:10 AM

12,339 posts, read 16,981,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I mentioned this a while ago, but it does seem American producers both TV and motion pictures cast a lot of foreign white actors, especially from Europe and the U.K.
True. But not without exceptions. Lennie James has been on lots of American TV shows, and it seems like Idris Elba is everywhere these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For those that live in the U.K., does British TV/movie industry return the favor?
Sometimes, but that is more a matter of economics. Lots of successful British actors jump the pond to Hollywood because that's where the money and success are. Very few American actors jump the other way, simply because it entails such a major cut in pay and status.

But there have been exceptions. Gillian Anderson has appeared in some British TV shows, because she was living in the UK at the time. Sigourney Weaver appeared on ITV's Doc Martin, simply because she loved the show. Does John Barrowman count?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:17 AM

10,213 posts, read 5,243,696 times
And?

Seeing as how the United Kingdom/Canada/Australia - three other major English-speaking countries - have a total population greater than 1/3rd that of the United States, and are culturally similar, it seems logical. I mean, we're talking about things (films) that are investments of eight and nine figures. If a production company is spending $75 million on a project, they're probably casting the net far and wide for just the right people to bring it to fruition. And given how interconnected the world of today is both socially and physically, living in London or Toronto or Los Angeles or Sydney doesn't seem to be particularly relevant.

And as for Hollywood and American television, the foreign (ie, not American) market is going to be a non-insignificant portion of the production's final gross.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:29 AM

5,598 posts, read 4,482,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
It seems like that there are a lot of foreigners starring in American TV shows and movies now. I'm talking about major movies and tv shows. Foreigners from London, Australia, both black and white actors. Has anyone else noticed this trend?
I don't think its anything new, Charlie Chaplain, Stan Laurel, Cary Grant etc were all English, its not just one way traffic either, there have been and still is a lot of American and Australian actors on UK TV shows, often they are playing an English part too, the shared language means with film, TV and music there is a LOT shared between the 'Anglo' world.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 AM

13,788 posts, read 6,729,102 times
You guys are missing the point. They're foreigners!

First it's our movies; then it's our wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies