U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM

13,801 posts, read 6,733,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Pierce Brosnan is Irish, George Lazenby is Australian, they're not British.
So there you go. Everyone in CANUKAUS is dealing with other CANUKAUS furriners in their movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

9,217 posts, read 5,335,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So there you go. Everyone in CANUKAUS is dealing with other CANUKAUS furriners in their movies.
I think the idea is that today they're dominating a lot of the industry, not that all of a sudden we have Brits and Aussies in our films and on our TV shows.

Old Today, 08:24 AM

13,801 posts, read 6,733,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think the idea is that today they're dominating a lot of the industry, not that all of a sudden we have Brits and Aussies in our films and on our TV shows.
"Dominating?" No. People need to stop going on "feels" and pull some real numbers.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,107,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes, I know that Brits have always been in the industry. But they never dominated the industry. Seriously, we have black American actors being replaced by British black actors and even Samuel L. Jackson had to say something about that.

In every movie even set remotely in a small Ohio farm town, there will be some British sidekick for comical relief. I could see Ricky Gervais starring in a movie about an old Depression era farmboy riding out the Dust Bowl. They'll stick an English person in there somehow. And I am not talking about an English playing an American but a full blown English character. LOL.
Yeah I heard that, that is what had me thinking. The lead actor in the movie Get Out is British and even the Star Wars actor (who is also British) tweeted about Jackson's comments.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Dominating?" No. People need to stop going on "feels" and pull some real numbers.
Yes dominating. Some of the biggest movies and tv shows out have foreign actors.

Star Wars Rouge One
Wonder Women
Star Wars The Force Awakens
The Walking Dead
The 100
Prometheus

Thats just an example.

Old Today, 09:55 AM

12,351 posts, read 16,985,851 times
For the most part, Brits are better actors, so I'm not complaining.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

I just find it funny how people complain about foreigners taking jobs like doctors, factory workers etc but dont care about foreigners taking movie jobs.

Like one of the posters said The British would have a fit if an American played James Bond in a movie.

Are Americans a big part of the British or Australian film industry?

Old Today, 10:15 AM

Samuel L Jackson Criticizes Casting British Actors as African-Americans | Deadline

Old Today, 10:17 AM

3,142 posts, read 1,293,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Yes dominating. Some of the biggest movies and tv shows out have foreign actors.

Star Wars Rouge One
Wonder Women
Star Wars The Force Awakens
The Walking Dead
The 100
Prometheus

Thats just an example.
Rogue One, Wonder Woman, Force Awakens, and Prometheus were filmed, in part (if not mostly) in the UK. It would make sense to have british actors.

Old Today, 10:26 AM

"Take race out of it and you have an worthwhile discussion here. In recent years, Hollywood has hired:

a British Superman
a British Batman
a British Spiderman
an Irish Abraham Lincoln
a British/Nigerian MLK Jr

Now… imagine the uproar if an American was cast as James Bond. Wouldn’t happen.

There is an enormous amount of talent all over the country. If you want to find an unknown, find an unknown in our own backyard."

Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies