U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:49 AM

3,372 posts, read 963,268 times

Advertisements

Yeah, all that inbreeding makes for some strange people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 02:19 PM

16,512 posts, read 11,359,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do love that movie. I tubed the Chattooga many times in my youth, and the movie portrayal was not that far off from reality. We had a couple of unsettling encounters with the locals, and a friend of mine was badly beaten, laid unconscious on his kayak and pushed back out into the current to drown. They clearly resented the presence of outsiders.
I don't have the answer, OP, but I am puzzled by anyone who loves this rotten movie. I guess the same people who loved Prince of Tides and The Kite Runner. I simply don't get it and never will.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM

3,097 posts, read 1,001,138 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 AM

3,372 posts, read 963,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I don't have the answer, OP, but I am puzzled by anyone who loves this rotten movie. I guess the same people who loved Prince of Tides and The Kite Runner. I simply don't get it and never will.
Uh...I did my own research (?) and answered my own question.

The arrow went through the front of the mountain man, clear through and was sticking out his back. He was shot from the front, by Jon Voight. You have to look closely to see the arrow pointing skyward out the back of the guy as he falls to the ground, simultaneously shooting into the rocky ground.

I've never seen the other two you mentioned.

I first saw the movie in the theatre on Christmas Eve. My then boyfriend was an archer. I doubt either of us knew what the movie was about. I for sure didn't. Just something about bows and arrows. lol. For its time, it was completely shocking. It was the first (and probably last) time nobody spoke a word as we exited the theatre. The entire audience was dead silent. It was hard to process what we had seen. Not exactly your typical Christmas Eve fluffy feelings.

In your honor, picklejuice, I shall watch it again today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It's one of those songs that you know on the very first chord what movie it comes from. Love it!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM

6,534 posts, read 4,912,612 times
After watching that scene I would be shaking like that too considering that it was a fair shot to make and if you miss you are dead. It does look like Voight shot him through with the razor tipped arrow and it took the guy a bit to fall down.

I think it is great movie from a time when many were just so so.
It is timeless in that one scene that horrifies every man out there.
The "Squeal like a pig" line is every bit as famous as "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning".

It was funny this time I was kayaking with a guy through a marsh and I said to him "Did I just hear banjos?" He knew the reference but the funny part was he was gay. All I could think of was "Why did I say that?" When I got home my wife thought it was hilarious.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:11 PM

10,013 posts, read 5,041,249 times
Truly one of the all time great American movies.

Works on so many levels, and to this day it still resonates with the public conscience ("squeal, squeal like a pig" as a man joke). Also forever stereotyped those who lived in very rural areas in the backwoods of the south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgxdROTTrE

Old 06-18-2017, 02:31 PM

8,467 posts, read 3,902,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
After watching that scene I would be shaking like that too considering that it was a fair shot to make and if you miss you are dead. It does look like Voight shot him through with the razor tipped arrow and it took the guy a bit to fall down.

I think it is great movie from a time when many were just so so.
It is timeless in that one scene that horrifies every man out there.
The "Squeal like a pig" line is every bit as famous as "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning".

It was funny this time I was kayaking with a guy through a marsh and I said to him "Did I just hear banjos?" He knew the reference but the funny part was he was gay. All I could think of was "Why did I say that?" When I got home my wife thought it was hilarious.
Gay people can still be raped,. You know that, right?

Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,912,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Gay people can still be raped,. You know that, right?

AH Yeah I know that. I was more worried for myself giving my gay friend an idea... My wife thought it was funny because she thought I might have been giving him a suggestion for a reenactment!

Deliverance was a good movie.

Old Today, 01:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,315,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
AH Yeah I know that. I was more worried for myself giving my gay friend an idea... My wife thought it was funny because she thought I might have been giving him a suggestion for a reenactment!

Deliverance was a good movie.
Really? And they say rednecks are in the south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies