U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM

3,342 posts, read 949,552 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know it's an old movie.

Yesterday, for possibly the 20th time, I watched it again. It was once explained to me how the mountain man toward the end got shot in the back while he and Jon Voight were facing each other. This was just after Voight pulled the arrow from himself after he had fallen on it. I'm sure at one time it made sense, but now, years later, I can't figure it out.

Anyone have the answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,145,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Yes, I know it's an old movie.

Yesterday, for possibly the 20th time, I watched it again. It was once explained to me how the mountain man toward the end got shot in the back while he and Jon Voight were facing each other. This was just after Voight pulled the arrow from himself after he had fallen on it. I'm sure at one time it made sense, but now, years later, I can't figure it out.

Anyone have the answer?
I thought he fell on the arrow in the process of shooting the guy.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Yes, that's how Jon got the arrow. That's exactly what I said. He fell on his own arrow when he became fraught with target panic.

My question was: how did the mountain man get the arrow in the back since he and Jon were facing each other? The first thought was that Burt shot him, but Burt was incapacitated in the canoe with a compound fracture. Who shot the arrow that killed the mountain man?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:21 PM

3,027 posts, read 983,128 times
Squeal like a pig! SQUEAL!!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Squeal like a pig! SQUEAL!!
You sho' do have a pretty mouth!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:31 PM

3,231 posts, read 2,617,905 times
Burt shot him. Anyway you can go back and re watch it?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Burt shot him. Anyway you can go back and re watch it?
Oh, yeah, I can watch again, and I guess I'll have to fast forward to just that point. Are you sure Burt did it? He was in the river and the mountain man was way up at the top of the cliff with Jon. And Burt was pretty much out of it with his injuries. It doesn't seem possible from that distance.

OK, I'll watch again. I've probably seen the thing a dozen times and I was thinking there was a straightforward explanation that didn't involve Burt. For sure, Burt shot the mountain man that raped Ned, but that was easy and obvious. I'm talking about the mountain man with the shotgun that would have killed Jon if he hadn't taken an arrow in the back just a split second before he fired his gun.

Poor Ned. In the words of Kathy Griffin, he was broken. lol.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:29 AM

OK, I did a search for Deliverance FAQs and found this:

How did Ed shoot himself with his own arrow?

Ed doesn't shoot himself. In the scene where he gets the chance to shoot the one remaining hillbilly on top of the cliff, he gets the same nervous reaction that he got when trying to shoot a deer. He is carrying an extra arrow on his bow, and after he releases the arrow that hits the hillbilly, he falls over backwards and lands on the extra arrow, accidentally impaling himself in the hip.

I still don't understand how he managed to shoot the hillbilly in the back when they seemed to be facing each other.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:40 AM

Damn, OK, here's the scene, and as the mountain man falls dead, you can see the arrow went through the front of him and was sticking out his back, so I guess Jon did shoot him but it didn't immediately kill him. You don't know the arrow is there 'til he falls face down.

I'm sure glad I got that sorted out, lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQA7kCTPN8

Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,145,920 times
I do love that movie. I tubed the Chattooga many times in my youth, and the movie portrayal was not that far off from reality. We had a couple of unsettling encounters with the locals, and a friend of mine was badly beaten, laid unconscious on his kayak and pushed back out into the current to drown. They clearly resented the presence of outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies