U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:36 PM

4,056 posts, read 1,860,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
IRON EAGLE is one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen, but I have seen it at least 10 times. Hey, I had HBO as a kid.

The only movie I have ever walked out of after paying full admission was HIGHLANDER 2, which should be studied in film school as a perfect example of how NOT to make a sequel in every single scene. At least those I saw. I think I made it about 25 minutes before walking out.

Movies where I fell asleep in the theater due to boredom:

NOMADS, a rightly forgotten Pierce Brosnan movie from the '80s.

RED HEAT. I didn't realize it was possible for Schwarzenegger to make a boring movie, but it is, and this is it.
Iron Eagle had a clear field all by itself with only Top Gun to give it a run for our money. It was years before the Rebel Alliance would fly against the Empire again and the Red Flag TV movie just couldn't compete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM

2,416 posts, read 1,288,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This one MANY people will disagree with me on.. But I did walk out of it..

My Blue Heaven with Steve Martin and Rick Moranis.

Love Martin, love Moranis.. This movie.. Just sucked.

I couldn't take the accent that Martin did throughout the movie.

How can one dislike this movie?!?! I love it so.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,574,200 times
Recently, as a matter of fact, with the movie Colossal.While I don't think the movie was "good," my main objection was the main characters. They were alcoholics who had circled back into each other's life, and they enabled each other's dysfunction. The longer they were together, the more the male character spiraled down, eventually becoming violent and abusive. I walked out with about 20 minutes left.

Also, I walked out of A.I. during the Flesh Faire scene, where they destroy the sentient A.I.s in a fair/gladatorial style setting, with the crowd of humans cheering. It was a horrific scene for me.

Another, Radio Flyer. Two boys travel west with their mother. She meets and hooks up with a man who is an alcoholic and abusive toward the younger boy. In one scene, he whips the younger boy -- I think with the cord from lamp or something. I started to hyperventilate and had to go out to the lobby.

I recently tried to watch the movie Friday Night Lights, but I had to turn it off because I was so repulsed by the character played by Tim McGraw -- the alcoholic, abusive father of one of the players.

I didn't walk out of War Horse, but my mother did. I stayed, but I was pissed off for the last 45 minutes or so of the movie. I thought it was ridiculously cruel. It was awful to see what this horse experienced -- what all the horses experienced. (Factoid, 8 million horses, donkeys, and mules died during WWI.) The happy Steven Spielberg ending didn't redeem the movie for me at all. (Many, many years ago, my family watched Cold Mountain at home. During the movie, my dad suddenly piped up and said, "They should have named this movie 'Waiting for the Next Bad Thing to Happen'!" War Horse is the equine version of that.)

I guess I really hard time with alcoholic characters and scenes of rampant abuse. I can handle violence in movies. That doesn't bother me at all. But that's when the characters are more or less evenly matched. When there's a more powerful person beating up on someone who is obviously much weaker, or in that first person's power somehow, it sickens me.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Lincoln...with Daniel Day Lewis.. terrible boring dark film
The guy sitting next to us snored the whole way through.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, not great for anything beyond a pre-teen. My little sister called it the "Save the Daddy" movie and loved it. 80s kid fare along with Karate Kid, Flight of the Navigator, etc.

The Goonies in the Air Force is a good description.
I was 15 when Iron Eagle came out, and yep, I loved it, too. :-) Of course, I also loved Solarbabies, so there you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFcDCJyP9fo

Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 301,681 times
Dark Shadows (2012)

Pompeii (2014)

Boo! A Madea Halloween (Even though I usually like Madea movies.)

John Wick: Chapter 2

Old 06-16-2017, 06:08 AM

12,401 posts, read 17,041,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Different perspective, I get it. But "borrowing two F-16s" and bombing Saddam Hussein while listening to Twisted Sister in your headphones? Even my retarded 22 year old brain realized what a mind-numbingly stupid concept that was....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENPyRc238OU

Old 06-16-2017, 07:44 AM

4,056 posts, read 1,860,124 times
Killing Them Softly, after the hype which seemed more political than art to me the emperor had no clothes.
Sideways, my girlfriend at the time walked us out, her ex had cheated on her and she just didn't go for it.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 AM

3,944 posts, read 3,641,965 times
This is going to age me too, but I walked out of "The Gods Must Be Crazy".
It was insanely popular at the time with lines down the streets.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 AM

10,047 posts, read 5,089,669 times
Two:

Solaris, with George Clooney and Natasha Mc Elhone. This was the remake of the original from 1972. In space, no one can hear you snore.

The English Patient, with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche. 2 hours and 42 minutes of drudgery. It reminded me of lectures given by my deadly dull 4th grade history teacher from the Paleolithic era.

The sad thing was, I was sure both of these movies would be fantastic. They got excellent reviews, viewers and critics praised them for being "the best movies of the year," etc. Maybe I'm lowbrow (I know I am actually), but the Star Trek and Alien movies were far more interesting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies