U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:31 AM

5,604 posts, read 2,441,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not really. For one, GotG isn't so much he Disneyfication of Marvel as it is the STAR WARSification of Marvel. And GotG is very tongue-in-cheek from the get-go. It's a comedy as much as it is an action flick.
More or less the same thing now. Doctor Strange even smelled like a Star Wars movie in places, but with an Earthman instead of a kid from Tatooine or Dantooine or Semantooine.

GOTG2 had more comedy, which is one of the reasons it's nowhere near as good as the first movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM

17,995 posts, read 9,875,337 times
Okay, I just read in a YouTube remark the true Disneyfication of Star Wars:

Quote:
Disney has been promoting for decades that any peasant girl can be discovered and be a princess without doing anything. It's a recurring theme in many Disney stories and it targets girls hard. Young girls LOVE it.

Many girls grow up as pretty girls to pretty women and don't have to do anything, but be pretty and dream to be discovered and be a famous model or famous celebrity.... all without doing, but being. (Guys do... Girls be in the Disney world). So think of it from Disney's point of view they have to be consistent.

Rey is a peasant girl who is the chosen one to be amazing at everything ... and will marry the "prince" Kylo Ren and rule the galaxy as Queen. It's the Disney fantasy for girls. Disney wants the majority of girls to like Star Wars so they have to do this.
Except that this is the new Disney "strong, independent woman," so Rey doesn't have to marry the prince, she can be queen all on her own.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:25 AM

15,104 posts, read 19,749,708 times
Uh-oh. All unconfirmed rumors at this point. But when there is smoke, there is usually a fire of some sort.

Disney Apparently Expects 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' To Bomb

Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 AM

5,824 posts, read 3,105,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
The 'Disneyfication' of Star Wars began long, long before Disney got control of the franchise.

It began in 1983, when the first Ewok waddled out of a forest on Endor. I'm pretty sure the Force-Ghost of Walt himself was smiling at that moment.
I remember 30 years ago in the instructions to the authorized role playing game it said you can not play Imperial characters, only Rebel Alliance characters and then came Han returning fire. I agree Lucas wanted to be super Disney, it wasn’t the other way around

Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice70s View Post
The trailer coming out late should already tell you something..
Yup. And ...

Directors being fired near the end of production.

The studio bringing in a paint-by-numbers director to replace them.

The studio hiring an acting coach for the lead.

The movie is only 4 months away, and there hasn't been a single image, teaser, or trailer released.

All signs point to Disney having a train wreck on their hands that they are desperately trying to prevent form taking out the entire station.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 AM

5,604 posts, read 2,441,957 times
Solo won't bomb. It's a Star Wars movie. It won't be a smash, but it won't be a bomb.

Then again, redoing 80% of the movie probably cost a pretty penny.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM

If a Solo movie is niched into the proper genre correctly, the role shouldn't actually require that much acting talent. It's not as though Harrison Ford did that good a job the first time.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:39 AM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-china-1075177

Why Disney's 'Last Jedi' Mind Trick Isn't Working in China

Not good. If SOLO isn't a notable success, I suspect Kathleen Kennedy will be skating on thin ice. Justifiably so, I'm starting to think.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-china-1075177

Why Disney's 'Last Jedi' Mind Trick Isn't Working in China

Not good. If SOLO isn't a notable success, I suspect Kathleen Kennedy will be skating on thin ice. Justifiably so, I'm starting to think.
The article gives the same reason as has been frequently mentioned--that the original trilogy got little or no play in China, so the heavy reliance of the later movies on the original trilogy hurts them in that market.

I'm not sure how true that really is...I suspect Chinese are well aware of the earlier stories by now. I think there are more cultural aspects involved...maybe the Chinese don't have a problem with empires and have more of a problem with rebels.

The Solo movie ought to have a different basis. It should be a fresh story. If they do it right, there should be no factor from the Skywalker Saga that should affect it.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not sure how true that really is...I suspect Chinese are well aware of the earlier stories by now. I think there are more cultural aspects involved...maybe the Chinese don't have a problem with empires and have more of a problem with rebels.
I suspect THE LAST JEDI just isn't a very good movie. We don't really need deeper reasons than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Solo movie ought to have a different basis. It should be a fresh story. If they do it right, there should be no factor from the Skywalker Saga that should affect it.
I'm not convinced there is a disconnect to figure in to the equation. I think THE LAST JEDI just flat-out isn't a very good movie. If the same is true of SOLO, the result will be the same.

I hope, hope, hope SOLO is a great movie. But considering the quality of the sequels thus far and the problems the production has had, I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic. It also strikes me as a movie that no one really wanted to begin with.

If STAR WARS is going to continue to be a viable brand for the next 40+ years, they need to get their eyes out of the past and actually go in some new directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies