U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 AM

19,108 posts, read 12,997,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
The 'Disneyfication' of Star Wars began long, long before Disney got control of the franchise.

It began in 1983, when the first Ewok waddled out of a forest on Endor. I'm pretty sure the Force-Ghost of Walt himself was smiling at that moment.
Hilarious. Yep^^^

It was a hybrid: part Henson (Muppet) and part Lucas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 8,743,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. I admit THE FORCE AWAKENS had some severe flaws, and THE LAST JEDI was the first STAR WARS movie ever that I outright disliked, but the female heroes are not the problem. Female heroes are great when they are well written. That's the problem. Plain and simple. The writing in the past two movies has been a mess.

Sure, when I was a kid, my heroes were Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Steve Austin, Chief Brody, and the list goes on. But my heroes were also Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Jaime Summers, Princess Leia, Marion Ravenwood, and the list goes on. It didn't hurt my masculinity a bit.
It's when you realize you're not seeing a story, you're getting a propaganda shot.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 AM

2,455 posts, read 1,029,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
There is no backlash. The only people who've been attacking these movies are the usual suspects--MRA/Alt Right Trolls, fanboys, wannabe film directors and lazy YouTubers who realized that the best way to gain views is to be negative. Some of them have so little time on their hands, they've been launching troll down voting campaigns across many sites, including Rotten Tomatoes. When people are going through such extremes to try to tank an IP, this is when you know the backlash is empty and just based on pure emotion and nothing else.

This stuff is why I don't read user reviews on any site and only watch two YouTube channels when it comes to reviews. 95% of what passes for "reviews" is trash. Most of them are by bored trolls, people with an agenda or people just trying to milk views by being negative. There are very few people trying to give honest opinions anymore.
Sike! There are plenty of real life normal people who had issues with the movie. In fact, to say that I'm an Alt-Right troll because I disliked the movie is laughable. I'm far from an alt-righter and the movie was just bad, not just to me, but many others. Friends of mine who saw it disliked the movie because of the bad pacing, lack of characters, lack of any real progression. Someone said it best, that this movie felt like it was a Star Trek TV episode. To the random space chase, to Leia flying back to the ship.

But it's kinda annoying to basically call people "trolls" who disliked the movie. The movie was just terrible

Old 02-06-2018, 04:48 PM

13,999 posts, read 18,778,153 times
Not sure if this is good news or bad. Three years ago I would have been excited. After the past season of Game of Thrones, I'm a lot less optimistic.

‘Star Wars’: ‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write New Series – Variety

Old 02-07-2018, 03:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 815,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_roboto View Post
the numerous TLJ sucks videos on Youtube are famous for their snarky and very truthful revelations of why TLJ ( and seemingly the execs and director ) kinda said "eff -you " to fans of the Star Wars films and basically put out a shoddy film that really would be Battlefield Earth level bad were it not for the fact that its named Star Wars.

the movie was just .....bad ... and was terrible usary ....
Personally, I think that the creators of the new Star Wars movies are doing their best to extend this franchise, and I think that they're doing a pretty good job. Because after all, how do you take: 'and the good guys won and they lived happily ever after' and extend that into a new franchise and new conflicts and new storylines that befit the name "Star Wars"?

However, in my opinion, I think that for the naysayers(who are generally of an older generation because I've never heard of anyone from the younger generation say that they don't like the new Star Wars movies), it's really more of a matter 'us'(of the older generation) having had our Star Wars... and we just don't like these new characters and these new storylines... and the dredging up of the old 'Empire'(now the First Order) vs 'the Rebels' conflict, which seemed to have been resolved in 'our' Star Wars movies.

However, money talks. And if the creators of the new Star Wars movies were not doing a good job with this franchise, then these two new Star Wars movies would NOT have made the gargantuan amount of money that they've made.

Also, box office wise, as far as there being a The Last Jedi backlash... when you compare the domestic take of A New Hope($460,998,007) with The Empire Strikes Back($290,475,067), Empire made $170,522,940 less than ANH. And adjusted for inflation, $1,635,137,900 compared to $901,298,200 respectively, Empire made $733,839,700 less than ANH. Plus, The Force Awakens' $992,496,600 compared to The Last Jedi's $614,968,900, TLD made $377,527,700 less than TFA. Therefore, box office wise, the difference between the first and second movies of the new Star Wars movies is on par with the old franchise... and there is no backlash with The Last Jedi.

All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Old 02-07-2018, 03:19 PM

4,582 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not sure if this is good news or bad. Three years ago I would have been excited. After the past season of Game of Thrones, I'm a lot less optimistic.

‘Star Wars’: ‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write New Series – Variety
They're going to pump out movies till people become nauseous at the sound of those two words.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 PM

454 posts, read 494,871 times
As a child and young man I grew up really enjoying the Disney style of movies. But now that they have made a joke out of Marvel heroes in the movies and wiped out the Star Wars EU I am more of a Disney Hater.

I read about 60 Star Wars EU books and that is what truly made me fall in love with the Star Wars universe. You see I am really more of a Star Trek fan and have been since the 1960's. However I was enthralled with the Star Wars movies, the originals that is, well until the first Ewok stepped on screen. But due to the other two movies I gave Lucas a pass on the Ewoks. Anyway when Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney, I was excited at the possibilities at first. The possibilities of expanding the EU to the big screen really had me excited. But then Disney cancelled the EU continuing books in 2014 and that disappointed me greatly. Then I was thoroughly let down by TFA.

So I decided to give the disneyfication of SW a chance in the books by reading the aftermath trilogy. I stopped in book 2. While the stories were not bad, the deemphasis on Jedi/Sith was so obvious that I could no longer continue. The stories were so much darker than the EU, and believe me those were plenty dark what with the Yuuzhan Vong story line. It seemed much more political and too focused on the realism of how the war would impact the Alliance's ability to win/feed and provide for planets over than on the continuing story of the battle between the Jedi and the Sith.

I am so very disappointed with what Disney has done or is doing with the SW Universe. I have decided to reread the SW EU books starting with the Thrawn Trilogy by Zahn. This will be my third time through, starting in the 1990's and yes they are that great! Don't get me wrong as I did enjoy the Last Jedi, for pure action, however I really dislike the direction of the story and getting rid of Luke.

Now as for the Disneyfication o the Marvel Comic hero movies. Well the most recent Thor movie (Ragnarok) was so stupidly funny that I was disgusted. That is not Thor and that certainly was not Ragnarock! I think I would know as I have been reading Marvel comics since the mid 1960's. I suppose that most people who do not read comics want the silly slapstick humor in these movies. I for one like them on the dark side with only a little gallows humor. I am getting to the point where I don't really care about seeing the movies in the theatre as I have a big screen 3d TV (4K as well) and surround sound, so why waste the money and I am a SciFi Comic book aficionado from way back!

My dream movie is a cross over of Star Wars and Aliens or Predator and Star Trek. I am really pleased with the new Star Trek Discovery series, nice and edgy and dark. I guess I should qualify dark with realism, I mean is life really funny, slapstick haha? So yeah we like to escape in our movies but lets leave the comedies to people like Eddy Murphy, Richard Prior and Mel Brooks. Space Balls was hilarious but it definitely wasn't a serious SciFi movie. So is that Disney's plan to make Marvel Movies into the new Mel Brooksian style movies? To recreate Star Wars into Jedi/Sith less weak story action movies. If so than I am sadly OUT!

Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
As a child and young man I grew up really enjoying the Disney style of movies. But now that they have made a joke out of Marvel heroes in the movies and wiped out the Star Wars EU I am more of a Disney Hater.
Yeah, a $13,508,449,705(and that's billion, not million) joke out of Marvel heroes.

Box Office History for Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies

Quote:
Don't get me wrong as I did enjoy the Last Jedi, for pure action, however I really dislike the direction of the story and getting rid of Luke.
Well, no one lives forever.

Quote:
Now as for the Disneyfication o the Marvel Comic hero movies. Well the most recent Thor movie (Ragnarok) was so stupidly funny that I was disgusted. That is not Thor and that certainly was not Ragnarock! I think I would know as I have been reading Marvel comics since the mid 1960's. I suppose that most people who do not read comics want the silly slapstick humor in these movies.
Well, this part of the discussion about Marvel probably belongs here:

CBMania: The DCEU, MCU, Sonyverse, Foxverse, and Beyond!

but how do you know whether or not Taika Waititi read comic books as a kid?

Also, Ragnarok turned out the way that it did... not because the movie had people who didn't know what they were doing like in the case of Justice League(click here), but because the people behind this film wanted it to turn out the way that it did:

The Superweirdo Behind ‘Thor: Ragnarok’

And which by the way, made it the highest grossing Thor movie in the franchise so far.

Quote:
I guess I should qualify dark with realism, I mean is life really funny, slapstick haha? So yeah we like to escape in our movies but lets leave the comedies to people like Eddy Murphy, Richard Prior and Mel Brooks. Space Balls was hilarious but it definitely wasn't a serious SciFi movie. So is that Disney's plan to make Marvel Movies into the new Mel Brooksian style movies? To recreate Star Wars into Jedi/Sith less weak story action movies. If so than I am sadly OUT!
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we get ONE irreverent and humorous Marvel movie(and not counting the GoTG movies, which by nature are suppose to be humorous), and some people act as if the end of the world is here.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 AM

I recently stumbled upon this video:

THE LAST JEDI: Backlash is Missing the Point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp9QHrKlV54

and I thought that it was so good, I almost wanted to stand up out of my chair and applaud.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:21 AM

2,455 posts, read 1,029,065 times
"Yeah, a $13,508,449,705(and that's billion, not million) joke out of Marvel heroes. "

Where again did blazertrek50 say anything about how much money the movies made? I must've missed that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or