U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 AM

2,654 posts, read 880,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
"Yeah, a $13,508,449,705(and that's billion, not million) joke out of Marvel heroes. "

Where again did blazertrek50 say anything about how much money the movies made? I must've missed that part.
Well, I guess I've always been a believer in the saying that: "Money talks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,089,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Well, I guess I've always been a believer in the saying that: "Money talks."
Money doesn't mean something is good, though....

Old 02-12-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Money doesn't mean something is good, though....
It usually means something is good to someone. Just like in the Jumanji thread I had read where someone had said that they thought that it was better than The Last Jedi. Well, I thought that Jumanji was boring and juvenile and I fell asleep on it a few times. However, in spite of my opinion of the movie, it's making tons of money, therefore, that means that Jumanji was good to a lot of people.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM

14,258 posts, read 19,015,556 times
Quote:
It usually means something is good to someone. Just like in the Jumanji thread I had read where someone had said that they thought that it was better than The Last Jedi. Well, I thought that Jumanji was boring and juvenile and I fell asleep on it a few times. However, in spite of my opinion of the movie, it's making tons of money, therefore, that means that Jumanji was good to a lot of people.
JUMANJI was juvenile and silly and completely unrealistic from start to finish. But it was also funny and despite the inherent ridiculousness managed to tell a coherent story with a beginning, middle, and end. It made sense within its own rules.

THE LAST JEDI was a complete mess on the most basic story level, never mind taking into account the larger universe established in other films. If I ever teach a class on "How Not to Make A Sequel," THE LAST JEDI will be required viewing.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
JUMANJI was juvenile and silly and completely unrealistic from start to finish. But it was also funny and despite the inherent ridiculousness managed to tell a coherent story with a beginning, middle, and end. It made sense within its own rules.

THE LAST JEDI was a complete mess on the most basic story level, never mind taking into account the larger universe established in other films. If I ever teach a class on "How Not to Make A Sequel," THE LAST JEDI will be required viewing.
lol See the video in post #49.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
lol See the video in post #49.
I made it four minutes before I gave up. He isn't speaking to me. My dislike of the movie has nothing to do with STAR WARS fanobyishness. THE LAST JEDI simply fails on basic storytelling elements.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM

457 posts, read 502,341 times
Quote:
"Yeah, a $13,508,449,705(and that's billion, not million) joke out of Marvel heroes. "

Where again did blazertrek50 say anything about how much money the movies made? I must've missed that part.
That's because I never did and I like the way you worded your response. Clearly Mr. Taylor equates how much money films make with how good they must be. I however, do not. Any of my friends and other comic book fans do not like the direction that the Marvel Hero movies are going in. Humor is all well and good but when it takes over the movie as it did with Thor well than it loses it's ties with the Marvel Universe that I grew up reading about, still read about.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:56 PM

16,640 posts, read 9,017,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I made it four minutes before I gave up. He isn't speaking to me. My dislike of the movie has nothing to do with STAR WARS fanobyishness. THE LAST JEDI simply fails on basic storytelling elements.
i agree that it fails basic storytelling elements.

However, there is a different take to the "failing the fans" issue that I've spoken about before, and that's that the movie stymies the effort Disney has been making to create a new generation of fans.

Sure, the old Skywalker Saga fans had reasons to be upset, but so did the young fans of Clone Wars and Rebels, who have been cultured on certain aspects of the force and other force users that the movie should have capitalized on. Those new, young fans that Disney has been cultivating were also disappointed.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
i agree that it fails basic storytelling elements.

However, there is a different take to the "failing the fans" issue that I've spoken about before, and that's that the movie stymies the effort Disney has been making to create a new generation of fans.

Sure, the old Skywalker Saga fans had reasons to be upset, but so did the young fans of Clone Wars and Rebels, who have been cultured on certain aspects of the force and other force users that the movie should have capitalized on. Those new, young fans that Disney has been cultivating were also disappointed.
Making a movie or any story "for the fans" ... down that road lies madness. If you got a room full of fifty STAR WARS fans, you'd have fifty different opinions. By trying to please everyone, you'll please no one.

What Lucasfilm needs to do is find storytellers with a genuine love and understanding of the universe, a vision for where they want to take the story, then get the hell out of their way.

Unfortunately, in a Hollywood driven entirely by marketing and focus groups, very few people are making those kinds of movies anymore. And with "brand" movies like STAR WARS, Marvel, DC, etc., it isn't happening at all.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 PM

PVP - 2018-01-09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies