U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,075,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
My experience is the opposite. I've heard a couple of younger people complaining about the fact that the new movies unravel much of the resolution of the original trilogy.
Well, we can't leave out those couple of younger people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
People my age that I've discussed it with - I was 9 when the original movie came out - appreciate the fact that the new movies are more reminiscent of the originals.
Well, as far as the posters at this forum are concerned, you may be in a minority.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Discussions: WARNING--SPOILER ALERT!

Do you think The Last Jedi will be bad like TFA or good?

Force Awakens Still Wasn't Great- Spoilers

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a one-star film on a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:41 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,075,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why is Kylo Ren in this movie? What is his personal quest? To be evil? Really? That's it?
Mark, I didn't get to read all of your post this evening, but as far as Kylo Ren goes:

The Shocking Moment Ben Solo Became Kylo Ren Explained The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEG9ERaSKn4

Old 02-16-2018, 05:12 AM

17,832 posts, read 9,778,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Mark, I didn't get to read all of your post this evening, but as far as Kylo Ren goes:

The Shocking Moment Ben Solo Became Kylo Ren Explained The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
All that says is that Ben Solo was just a "bad seed" from the start. That movie's already been done.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:56 PM

386 posts, read 180,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
By most standards, THE LAST JEDI was a smash hit, but by Star Wars standards and expectations, it was a flop. Markets are constantly growing and for it to have fallen short of THE FORCE AWAKENS, and significantly short at that, is nothing short of a disaster.
The Last Jedi performed right in line with Part 2 Star Wars films:
  • The Empire Strikes Back fell 32% from A New Hope
  • Attack of the Clones fell 30% from A Phantom Menace
  • The Last Jedi fell 34%(D), 36% (W) from The Force Awakens
So it is performing exactly to Star Wars standards and expectations. Markets may expand, but interest can decline, especially as homegrown films take precedence in other territories. You can't force feed (no pun intended) Star Wars to China, when China would rather watch Wolf Warrior 2 and Monster Hunt 2. You might say Star wars is a North American religion, but to the rest of the world, it's just a typical fantasy blockbuster.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 PM

The China Issue.

It it because the Chinese in their own national mythology are not viscerally opposed to the idea of an empire?

Old 02-16-2018, 04:24 PM

15,040 posts, read 19,675,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The China Issue.

It it because the Chinese in their own national mythology are not viscerally opposed to the idea of an empire?
Or perhaps the Chinese just don't like bad movies?

Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM

6,267 posts, read 3,450,782 times
Quote:
Or perhaps the Chinese just don't like bad movies?
Doubtful. They liked The Great Wall and Michael Bay's first four Transformers movies.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 AM

15,040 posts, read 19,675,723 times
Interesting quote from J.J. Abrams from: "Solo" Fun, Episode IX Shoot & Videos - Dark Horizons :

Quote:
“We have a script, which is a big deal for me. It starts shooting end of July … Sometimes having the script in advance is something I haven’t always been lucky enough to have … But I’m writing this with Chris Terrio, who’s a genius, and I’m having a great time.”
Just think about that for half a moment. Studios commit millions, build sets, hire actors, hire hundreds of crew members, and start making a movie oftentimes without a script.

That explains why so many movies (not just the recent STAR WARS movies) are of such poor quality. Story doesn't matter to the studios. It's all product. Widgets. Or porgs.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,196,773 times
Quote:
Interesting quote from J.J. Abrams from: "Solo" Fun, Episode IX Shoot & Videos - Dark Horizons :

Just think about that for half a moment. Studios commit millions, build sets, hire actors, hire hundreds of crew members, and start making a movie oftentimes without a script.

That explains why so many movies (not just the recent STAR WARS movies) are of such poor quality. Story doesn't matter to the studios. It's all product. Widgets. Or porgs.
It was obvious that the script doesn't matter with these new movies. It's more about "how much Star Wars-y stuff can we cram onscreen at once to sell da toys??" instead of an actually semi-coherent plot. As a big Star Wars fan, these new movies have nothing really memorable about them at all. It's like people in a boardroom randomly throwing stories together in a board room who have only seen YouTube clips of past Star Wars movies. (Evidence with how Luke behaved in TLJ and Yoda being the goofy version of Yoda that was playing Luke in ESB)

Old 02-23-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
and Yoda being the goofy version of Yoda that was playing Luke in ESB)

Hmm. Well, if that's how Yoda was when he became a force ghost, then that's how he'd be in TLJ. However, even though the ESB Yoda may have been a half-baked concept at the time, the character has certainly been more fleshed out since then.

But I do agree that the movie script seems to have been written with some other agenda than being the penultimate chapter of the saga.

I keep saying: Then need to get the animation writers to write the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies