U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 AM

13,561 posts, read 18,301,153 times

Advertisements

Not sure how fair it is to read too much into a movie that hasn't even finished shooting yet, but even based on what Disney has done so far, this article makes a lot of good points.

Star Wars Is All the Same Nowadays, and It's Becoming a Problem

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 AM

15,805 posts, read 8,233,781 times
I'm not convinced there is a problem. And the author of that article appears to ignore the animations.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 AM

4,316 posts, read 1,672,881 times
If you scroll down a third of the way into the article, you see this line, which begins the 9th paragraph.

Quote:
Lucasfilm and Disney seem to be so wedded to quality control that they’ve become totally risk-averse.
That sums it up right there. That's how I've felt since walking out of The Force Awakens. You don't even have to read the rest of the article (which is more or less the same stuff that's circulating on Twitter).

Old 06-28-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
If you scroll down a third of the way into the article, you see this line, which begins the 9th paragraph.

That sums it up right there. That's how I've felt since walking out of The Force Awakens. You don't even have to read the rest of the article (which is more or less the same stuff that's circulating on Twitter).
Yup. Although to be fair, that is just the way it is in movies these days. Every studio is not just risk-averse, they are risk-terrified. As one exec put it, "No one ever got fired for saying no." So they keep churning out the same-old same-old.

If you want to see daring filmmaking these days, turn on the TV.

Interestingly, even George Lucas --- not exactly #1 on the quality film pedestal these days --- admitted that TFA was just a re-visit of stuff we've already seen before.

ď(Disney) wanted to do a retro movie. I donít like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships, to make it new." George Lucas elaborates on his reaction to 'The Force Awakens' | Deseret News

Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 PM

4,316 posts, read 1,672,881 times
George admitted it because to say otherwise would be a lie. But he's kind of a hypocrite. The Phantom Spinach recycled quite a few elements itself. And that movie sucked, too. Sucked hard.

If I sold my franchise for four billion dollars, I wouldn't care what the new guys are doing with it. I'd go make a new one.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 PM

Sitting in the theater for THE LAST JEDI, I realized: The HAN SOLO movie is only 5 months away, and we haven't seen so much as a teaser, much less a trailer. Makes me wonder if Disney is afraid they have a train wreck on their hands. ???

Old 12-19-2017, 04:30 AM

221 posts, read 88,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sitting in the theater for THE LAST JEDI, I realized: The HAN SOLO movie is only 5 months away, and we haven't seen so much as a teaser, much less a trailer. Makes me wonder if Disney is afraid they have a train wreck on their hands. ???
Well, holy cow, I assumed it wasn't coming out for a full year. Really, it's due for a MAY release? Five f*****g months after TLJ?!? Really does make you wonder what's going on.

------------------

Hmmm, well, I looked into it and there's speculation that Ron Howard reshot almost the entire movie. That begs the question of Why? "Creative conflicts" doesn't really say much about why the original directors were fired. Was their work just awful? Or was their work either, in Disney exec's eyes, (A. too risky and different, or (B. too heavy on the fan service? Other than their footage simply being bad, I'm not sure which other possibility would rub Disney the wrong way, given The Last Jedi and Rogue One represent A and B, respectively.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
Well, holy cow, I assumed it wasn't coming out for a full year. Really, it's due for a MAY release? Five f*****g months after TLJ?!? Really does make you wonder what's going on.
The Disneyfication of STAR WARS. This is what is going on:

Old 12-20-2017, 09:21 AM

6,784 posts, read 6,876,235 times

https://youtu.be/5iUaYQiSRbg

thought this was interesting. MSM vs the fans who hated it. Its like transformers again. A lot of fireworks and the viewers will throw money at Disney products formula.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:16 AM

I sense a disturbance in the Force.

"Solo" Reshoots More Extensive Than Suspected - Dark Horizons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies