Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 AM

22,836 posts, read 28,065,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

Man......I was a little critical of the first teaser trailer, but this official trailer looks amazing. Getting excited about this film again!
Ehh ... I dunno. I'm sure it's just my own taste, but I'm very tired of the super loud CGI and gadgets being the center of every super hero movie. I'd like to see fewer tech, explosions, and car chases and more heart. Movies are becoming too much like video games.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:09 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,573,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ehh ... I dunno. I'm sure it's just my own taste, but I'm very tired of the super loud CGI and gadgets being the center of every super hero movie. I'd like to see fewer tech, explosions, and car chases and more heart. Movies are becoming too much like video games.
They're more or less capturing what comics were able to depict, and where movies came up short for decades. Now we have the CGI advances to elicit effects both enchanting and jarring. Hollywood's fight choreography is leagues ahead of where it was 20-30 years ago (thanks, Hong Kong).

I like the cast. The costumes look great. But is it just me, or does this trailer now give us "Iron Man of Wakanda," not "Batman of Wakanda"?

Some of the sets and tech are so futuristic, I think I'm on another planet (0:12-0:19 and 0:34-0:38). Panther's switch at 1:16 looks leased from Tony Stark (whereas Killmonger's reveal as Golden Jaguar just looks like bad CGI in a movie stocked with good CGI.) I mean some of this stuff seriously threatens Tony Stark's rep as a techno-innovator.

As for the action, we have another car roll (Marvel likes 'em), but Ulysses Klaue flattening the car with an energy bolt and Panther shredding that wheel looks great.

I'll go ahead and say it: this will be a lot better than Doctor Strange.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
They're more or less capturing what comics were able to depict, and where movies came up short for decades.
True. But the comics at their best (classic FF, Spidey, Batman, HULK) weren't just about the gadgets and fight scenes. They were about character and inner conflict and motivated villains. I'm just not seeing much of that in the Marvel movie-verse of late. It's all snarky dialogue and action scenes.

I know these movies are basically for kids and teenagers. But I'm continually amazed at the low bar we give them. Kids love fantasy. But I'm not sure kids love mediocre fantasy.

Quote:
I like the cast. The costumes look great. But is it just me, or does this trailer now give us "Iron Man of Wakanda," not "Batman of Wakanda"?
You're right on both counts. Great cast. The movies can always do with more Angela Bassett especially. But the preview makes me worry it's all getting buried in CGI and action sequences.

Quote:
I'll go ahead and say it: this will be a lot better than Doctor Strange.
Another way of saying: McDonald's is better than Burger King. (But neither are particularly good.)

Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Another way of saying: McDonald's is better than Burger King. (But neither are particularly good.)
But you're wrong McDonald's is not better than Burger King.

Wendy's is better than both.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
But you're wrong McDonald's is not better than Burger King.

Wendy's is better than both.
It varies from area to area. I have been to Burger Kings on the West Coast and Southwest that were pretty good. Here in New England, they are truly, truly nasty, whereas the McDonald's places are ... not vile.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM

I feel sorry for NE because here in the Southwest, we have... In-N-Out!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:34 PM

https://www.newsarama.com/37232-21st...ut-report.html

Quote:
21st Century Fox is in talks to sell the bulk of its media assets to Disney, according to CNBC. The sale would reportedly include Fox Entertainment Group, the portion of the company which owns 20th Century Fox (and with it the rights to many films including the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises).

The obvious implication, should the sale take place, would be that Disney would then own or control nearly all of Marvel's extant film rights, allowing them to potentially bring the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the same way they incorporated Spider-Man – though they would own the rights outright, rather than sharing or licensing them, as with Sony's Spider-Man rights.

20th Century Fox has multiple X-Men related films currently in development and production, with New Mutants, Deadpool 2, and X-Men: Dark Phoenix – all scheduled for release in 2018 alone. A film centered on Fantastic Four villain Doctor Doom is also in the works from Legion showrunner Noah Hawley.

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said in June of this year that there were no plans to pursue the Fantastic Four as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is unclear if the reported negotiations for the sale would have already been underway at that time.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:32 PM

^

Bloomberg is reported that the talks are dead. At least for now. But that doesn't mean the right amount of money won't revive the corpse.

I'd love to see the X-Men back in the same universe as the Avengers and Spidey and the FF. At least with a complete reboot of all stories.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Bloomberg is reported that the talks are dead.
FOX: Yo! Disney! We'll share these for the right price!

DISNEY: Righteous! Here's your check.

FOX: Nah. Not enough. Later!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
FOX: Yo! Disney! We'll share these for the right price!

DISNEY: Righteous! Here's your check.

FOX: Nah. Not enough. Later!
I'm only guessing, but I suspect Disney is trying to get the Marvel properties back, but they aren't (yet) meeting Fox's desired selling price. The X-movies may not be blockbusters, but they're still profitable. Fox has no real reason to sell yet --- unless Disney makes them an offer they can't refuse. Which obviously hasn't happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies