Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
...why do people hype the ship outta movies these days?? Any movie that's remotely good is seen as THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER!!
Well, here's the previews they ran in the theatre before 'Baby Driver':

Flatliners (remake)
War for the Planet of the Apes (sequel)
Spider Man: Homecoming (sequel)
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (sequel)
Transformers: The Last Knight (sequel)
Despicable Me 3 (sequel)
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Flatliners (remake)
Despicable Me 3 (sequel)

Good grief.
Weird that your theatre played trailers for already released movies. But I get your point. The trailers I saw were mostly sequals or remakes as well... Flatliners, Kingsmen, It, Daddy's Home 2, Murder on the Orient, Blade Runner, Pitch Perfect 3, The Dark Tower, Wish Upon, American Assasin.... And probably a few others. About half way through the previews, I remembered why we never go to AMC. Way too many previews. I like seeing what movies are coming out, but I don't want to sit through 30+ minutes of previews before a 2 hour movie.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Flatliners (remake)
Despicable Me 3 (sequel)

Good grief.
Are you saying that we've lowered our standards to where an original but decent flick is seen as the GREATEST MOVIE EVER?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Summer movies generally suck to this more mature viewer. The meatier stuff comes out in the fall and winter. This flick was mindless, entertaining, groovy drivel in my book, but it was a better than average way to spend a hot summer afternoon.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Summer movies generally suck to this more mature viewer. The meatier stuff comes out in the fall and winter. This flick was mindless, entertaining, groovy drivel in my book, but it was a better than average way to spend a hot summer afternoon.
Yeah I would've said it was better than the average mind numbing flick, I agree. My point though is every time I think that perhaps people aren't hyping up a film and it really will knock my socks off, it never happens. Unless people's standards have changed, or they're judging the films based on what's out now, I don't see how they can hype up a movie that much.

Do they have no frame of reference? When I think of a bad as $ action flick that leaves you feeling like you saw a really great film, I think of Michael Mann's Heat. I don't think of Baby Driver to be anywhere near that caliber, but I did think it was a decent, cool flick.

Is it the millennial generation that hypes stuff up so much? I always hear younger millennials say, "best movie ever", "get to the theater NOW, I cried it was SO good". They hype stuff up a lot.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Weird that your theatre played trailers for already released movies
I don't live in a big city. Movies come here at different rates. Some never come.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
We saw it yesterday. We both found it "different" and very entertaining.
We've had super hero overload the
last couple years and didn't want Wonder woman or another Spidey.
We Enjoyed the soundtrack, actors,exciting get always and sweet romance.
For us, an entertaining rainy summer afternoon show that I would recommend,

Old 07-08-2017, 05:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I happened to like it. It's an interesting take on heist movies. Not using Skype to find where to you.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 5,543 times
I loved it. It was pretty much on par with what Edgar Wright does with his films (Like Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz)

Gunshot and other effects were perfectly in sync with the music, and some of the scenes had some really nice dramatic effects.

Like the final fight scene, at times looked like it was out of the 80's.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Another teen who can drive and kick everyone's arse better then his peers.
Old people are bad teens ae good, I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies