Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:22 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

He's always been Marky Mark to me. I like the guy, haven't been disappointed by any of his movies. But yes, he's been very lucky as an actor-- even Donnie has lamented about this, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He has never properly atoned for his vicious hate crimes committed as a youth.

Interesting how people try to minimize his past by excusing it on youthful transgressions, etc.

He has a history of assaulting and terrorizing people of color.

He once beat a Vietnamese immigrant with a stick so hard, the immigrant lost sight in one eye.

And this doosh tried to get a liquor license in Boston and his past came up.

Not once has he properly met any of his victims and apologized to them. Just some mumbo jumbo nonsense.

Amazing how someone like him gets away with it.
No, that's not correct. Mark Wahlberg thought he had blinded him and this affected him. It was a pivotal moment for him. He has talked about this, which is why we know the story. The whole liquor license just brought attention back to this story and the media decided to find and interview the victim. The Vietnamese immigrant has already stated a couple years ago that his blindness was actually from an event in the Vietnam War and that he has forgiven him. Last I heard, Wahlberg was going to meet him privately, presumably to apologize to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 03:37 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

No, that's not correct. Mark Wahlberg thought he had blinded him and this affected him. It was a pivotal moment for him. He has talked about this, which is why we know the story. The whole liquor license just brought attention back to this story and the media decided to find and interview the victim. The Vietnamese immigrant has already stated a couple years ago that his blindness was actually from an event in the Vietnam War and that he has forgiven him. Last I heard, Wahlberg was going to meet him privately, presumably to apologize to him.
What's not correct?

The story about him losing his eye during the war and not after the assault by Mark didn't happen until decades later. Why the change?

Anyways, it was hardly a pivotal moment for Mark. None of his crimes affected him in any way, until later on in his career as he became more famous and tried to open some businesses (which required a clean record). That's when the fake tears came out (without the tears).

He tried to get a pardon for his hate crimes from a purely business standpoint, not because he cared about what he did. He has never fully atoned or apologized for what he did. He's always tried to minimize or excuse his crimes (as have his blind fans). One of his victims may have forgiven him, but that doesn't mean anything when Mark himself has no sense of accountability, to this day, for what he did.

And I have not heard one thing about Mark actually meeting the victims of his hate crimes.

His actions really were terrible:

Hate Crimes of Mark Wahlberg

I applaud this woman:

Mark Wahlberg racial violence victim says actor shouldn’t be pardoned

Quote:
“I don’t think he should get a pardon,” Kristyn Atwood, 38, of Decatur, Ga., told the Associated Press. She was a Boston fourth grader on a field trip to the beach when Wahlberg and his partners-in-crime threw rocks and yelled racial epithets, including the n-word, at her and her classmates.

“I don’t really care who he is,” she said. “It doesn’t make him any exception. If you’re a racist, you’re always going to be a racist. And for him to want to erase it I just think it’s wrong. … It was a hate crime and that’s exactly what should be on his record forever.”

The attack left a scar, she said — and trauma that won’t fade even if the actor’s record is wiped clean.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I didn't know any of that about him. I'm going to look that up. Sounds like he grew up in a rough environment!
In a rough environment? He was the rough environment.

But I do not care, I think he is good in the movies I like that he is in.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Wahlberg had thought he blinded this man, he didn't know the blindness was not caused by him. The media was the one who sought the victim to find his story and that's where the change comes in-- the victim was the one who said Mark Wahlberg did not blind him. That's the incorrection I'm referring to.

ETA: He apparently did meet the guy. http://www.mediaite.com/entertainmen...ietnamese-man/

interview where the victim explained about his eye: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-did-that.html

Last edited by Inkpoe; 07-08-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM

685 posts, read 719,752 times
Can't stand the guy...he acts the same in the all of his movies...and he comes across to me as a fake who is pushing "I'm a good guy now" attitude too much nowadays.
He is a racist and he seriously injured people because of his racist behavior. If he would just stop making excuses for what he has done and maybe make it known that he has given money to his victims voluntarily, then it might change my opinion about him.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Don't forget, "Boogie Nights".
Good one!

Old 07-08-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He has never properly atoned for his vicious hate crimes committed as a youth.

Interesting how people try to minimize his past by excusing it on youthful transgressions, etc.

He has a history of assaulting and terrorizing people of color.

He once beat a Vietnamese immigrant with a stick so hard, the immigrant lost sight in one eye.

And this doosh tried to get a liquor license in Boston and his past came up.

Not once has he properly met any of his victims and apologized to them. Just some mumbo jumbo nonsense.

Amazing how someone like him gets away with it.
OK now I remember there is a thread in politics and controversy on this topic.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:23 PM

6 posts, read 5,544 times
I really like his range, he can do well in pretty much any genre whether it's comedy, drama, action, etc. There aren't that many actors that you can see in a movie like Ted and then also in something like Deepwater Horizon. Personally I'm a fan of his comedies and dramas, I loved The Gambler and Daddy's Home for example.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
To me, it's his best. And, a great film regardless of the lead actor. Though, I like the way he SWAGGERS.
He's got that swagger down pat, that's for sure.

I like him. I like a lot of his more serious movies. He seems like a pretty believable guy to me - so often he plays a "regular guy" role.

And then there's that swagger...

Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He's got that swagger down pat, that's for sure.

I like him. I like a lot of his more serious movies. He seems like a pretty believable guy to me - so often he plays a "regular guy" role.

And then there's that swagger...
Is it hot in here or is it just me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies