Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:23 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Top 10 Car Movies of All Time - The Drive

I agree that Thunder Road and Bullitt are close to, if not at the top, but they left out Le Mans with Steve McQueen. It is right up there!

What are your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
good call out for Le Mans and while getting a mention merits something I suppose, not including Vanishing Point in the top 5 is just stupid

Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
The Car is on the list! Nice.

But Talladega Nights? GTFO. The article even admits it's "low-hanging fruit."

And no Smokey & The Bandit? No Vanishing Point? That's just wrong.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I'm probably the most different type of person to respond here... I'm female. So at the top of my car movie list is Death Proof... tough chicks in a Dodge... can't beat that!
Repo Man! That is from 'my generation' and I am saying Mad Max over Road Warrior only because it was the original but I see why Road Warrior gets to be on the list because it was the bigger budgeted film.

Now do not laugh or I will get those Death Proof girls after you... but since I am of that 70's kid generation I adored The Love Bug, Herbie and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

If Talladega Nights can be on the list, then so can 'Cars' - which to me is by far a better movie.
Smokey and the Bandit should be on the list too! I agree, that one is just a fun classic! Put Cannonball Run with it.

I've not see The Car, or Bullitt, but I should see Bullitt, it looks like my kind of film. And I did a stupid quiz, 'which movie car are you' and that is what I got, plus I grew up in the SF area. I saw Duel as a kid, freaked me out.

F&F, Gone in 60, entertaining, but nothing special. But since they made it on the list, can we also include Italian Job (the remake)? I know it's not really a car movie, but the success of the heist is dependent upon the cars and that is some pretty cool... driving.

And an honorable mention because its a cute movie (yeah, it has that chick flick aspect), but Hit and Run. Dax Shepard and his wife act together which makes for the sweetness. Dax wrote the screenplay, directed the movie... AND actually drove the cars. It just looks like they had a load of fun making that movie.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:18 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I'm probably the most different type of person to respond here... I'm female. So at the top of my car movie list is Death Proof... tough chicks in a Dodge... can't beat that!
Repo Man! That is from 'my generation' and I am saying Mad Max over Road Warrior only because it was the original but I see why Road Warrior gets to be on the list because it was the bigger budgeted film.

Now do not laugh or I will get those Death Proof girls after you... but since I am of that 70's kid generation I adored The Love Bug, Herbie and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

If Talladega Nights can be on the list, then so can 'Cars' - which to me is by far a better movie.
Smokey and the Bandit should be on the list too! I agree, that one is just a fun classic! Put Cannonball Run with it.

I've not see The Car, or Bullitt, but I should see Bullitt, it looks like my kind of film. And I did a stupid quiz, 'which movie car are you' and that is what I got, plus I grew up in the SF area. I saw Duel as a kid, freaked me out.

F&F, Gone in 60, entertaining, but nothing special. But since they made it on the list, can we also include Italian Job (the remake)? I know it's not really a car movie, but the success of the heist is dependent upon the cars and that is some pretty cool... driving.

And an honorable mention because its a cute movie (yeah, it has that chick flick aspect), but Hit and Run. Dax Shepard and his wife act together which makes for the sweetness. Dax wrote the screenplay, directed the movie... AND actually drove the cars. It just looks like they had a load of fun making that movie.
I like your list better

My favorite: The Yellow Rolls-Royce. The whole story is told from car's the point of view.

The Yellow Rolls-Royce (1964) - IMDb

Also Stephen King's Christine was great fun.

Another one of my favorites, Driving Miss Daisy, has much of the action taking place in a car. In fact the automobiles are what are used to mark the passage of time.

A soon-to-be classic car movie: Baby Driver.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3890160/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited by Iconographer; 07-13-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I agree with Christine and definitely Bullitt.

I also think that Mad Max should be on the list.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
The original The Italian Job (1969):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIechPy5ycc

Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
The Cannonball Run and Cannonball Run II should be there.

The Blues Brothers had a lot of good car scenes.

The Seven Ups had a terrific car chase scene that's rarely mentioned. So does the first French Connection.

A great movie, all about cars is Used Cars, circa 1980 starring Kurt Russell.

Christine, which I'm tired of because I've seen it dozens of times, does deserve a mention.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:32 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
The Cannonball Run and Cannonball Run II should be there.

The Blues Brothers had a lot of good car scenes.

The Seven Ups had a terrific car chase scene that's rarely mentioned. So does the first French Connection.

Christine, which I'm tired of because I've seen it dozens of times, does deserve a mention.
One of his best roles! Michael McKean's in it, too!

Old 07-14-2017, 11:58 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
No Vanishing Point? That's just wrong.
Spot on. Vanishing Point was a terrific car movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
And one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I also notice Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry wasn't on the list. That's just wrong as well. That was another great car movie.

The Top 10 list also mentions the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds. And I thought the remake was awful.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies