U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 AM

34 posts, read 8,226 times

Advertisements

My favourite film is Shawshank redemption , I like that film because it is a fantastic story , great acting and some really brilliant moments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 04:12 PM

6,837 posts, read 6,939,227 times
Okay, but couldn't that be said about most great movies?

My favorite movies tend to have some notable subtlety or breadth in the acting, sharp-witted cleverness to the dialogue, something creative enough to set them apart from the ordinary - and often an element of tragedy.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:46 PM

1,255 posts, read 720,355 times
Mine would have to be 2001 since I have seen it more times than any film & each time it's on tv I say to myself I'm just going to watch the beginning & inevitably end up watch the whole thing again. Plus I take away something new each time I didn't notice in previous viewings, something very, very few films can hold up to in repeated viewings.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 AM

10,465 posts, read 5,446,826 times
I don't have a single favorite film.

Which might qualify?

The Seventh Seal
Brilliant dialogue, teeming with visual metaphors, and a stark meditation on questions of human existence.

The Passenger
Nicholson. His acting is so brilliantly subtle in this film. He plays a loner, and there are long scenes in which he is alone and must carry the scene without words. He does so, astonishingly well. Also, I'm a sucker for a wonderfully shot film, and this one contains some innovative camera work.

Once Upon a Time in the West
Director Sergio Leone's cinematography is pure art, with sweeping landscapes and long dialogue-less periods that really focus on the visual. Add in the grand epic and the brilliant integration of sound to scene of composer Ennio Morricone and the result is fantastic.

Apocalypse Now
Cinema, fully realized.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:20 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,618,225 times
My favorites fluctuate a bit. I guess I have some that get top billing.

Miracle
Movie about the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. Fantastic movie that regularly appears on the lists of best sports movies. Even though you know how it ends, the excitement really catches you up. Amazing hockey -- the movie mostly cast real-life hockey players who could act, not actors who could play hockey. One of the final scenes, after the USA wins the game against the Russians and coach Herb Brooks heads out into one of the arena tunnels to have his own private celebration always has me choking up. Great, great, great film.

Chariots of Fire
Okay, so I have a thing for sports movies. There are so many things I love about this movie. I love the story and the characters and the actors and the costumes and set design, and of course who could not love the soundtrack? At the end of the movie, when Eric is running in the Olympics and he throws his head back as he approaches the finish line, I cry. Every time, without fail. The movie, like Miracle, is based on a true story and real people.

Star Trek (2009)
I grew up with Star Trek. First with TOS, and then with all the subsequent series. I was excited about the reboot but didn't know what to expect. I didn't know the actors and I wasn't sure what kind of story they were going to put together. I was hooked from the very beginning. This movie really packs an emotional wallop for me. It's a delight, and I have watched it probably HUNDREDS of times. It's my housework movie and I've got it downloaded to my phone. It goes where I go, and it never gets old to me. Awesome movie. I haven't liked the sequels as much, but that doesn't take anything away from how much I liked the 2009 movie.

Dances With Wolves
Great story, great characters, and at the end, when John and Stands With a Fist are leaving the Sioux, and Wind in His Hair is up on the cliff yelling down and saying, "Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that I will always be your friend?".... Well, I'm tearing up just typing the words. (Clearly, I like movies that make me cry.)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
I like a lot of the musicals from the 40s and 50s. This is one of my favorites. It's just infectious! And it's impossible to resist the song "Sobbin' Women."

Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 PM

2,419 posts, read 1,960,941 times
I think for some, me anyway, it's a combination:

1. Right theme, right time in (your) life.
2. Can be shared with others, sometimes their sense of wonder is contagious.

I'd say mine was "Blade Runner,' Director's Cut, for very many years. Why? Self-evident that everything completely gels. I could write 2,000 more words and not capture it all.

Here in Seattle, I once went to a special showing of a unique print they'd dug up somewhere: the film format was weird, ultra wide or something, the music was somewhat different, the voiceovers missing (thankfully). I think it was a "done, but still not in the final edit format" sort of print. Really cool to see a slightly different take on an old favorite, at an equally old and famous Seattle theater (the Paramount, I think).

However, since c. 1999 I'd have to say "Fight Club": really, really nailed male angst at an interesting point in American history. It's a very American film and featured two exceptional actors at the top of each's respective game, too. I really empathized with the Narrator, then and now (Edward Norton's character).

Ambience, supporting cast performances (Helena Bonham Carter), the washed-out look, all of it added up for me. Starts as black comedy, morphs to deadly-serious drama, and ends with...both? Surrealism? You decide!

Close third place goes to Michael Mann's "Heat" (1995). If you have to even ask about that one, I could not explain it.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Status: "Ex hoc fornax, hoc acerum (Out of this forge, this steel)" (set 26 days ago)

9,232 posts, read 5,181,736 times
I don't have one "favorite" film, but many of the films I most enjoy share the common characteristic of having been made in the late Fifties and early Sixties -- a time when Hollywood tried to compete with television by dealing with "adult" subjects before the term was hijacked by "sexploitation" -- authors like Nelson Algren and playwrights like William Inge, for example.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

16,624 posts, read 28,407,259 times
Vertigo, because I love San Francisco, sexual obsession, a good plot twist, 50's glamor, Jimmy Stewart and Alfred Hitchcock.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

12,516 posts, read 17,188,197 times
BLADE RUNNER. It is a complete visual / aural experience unlike no other movie of its time. Every time I watch it, I find something new. It is full of existential meaning --- most of which was entirely unintended by the director, I'm pretty sure. And the ending is a killer. The hero finally admits that he is a bad guy, and the villain chooses to become a hero. And "tears in rain" --- probably one of the best monologues ever put on screen --- was a last minute addition from the actor. It was not in the original script. But it absolutely completes the movie.

In short: BLADE RUNNER is the most accidentally brilliant movie ever made.

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

9,597 posts, read 8,268,718 times
The Matrix
The Pope of Greenwich Village
Defending Your Life
Moonstruck
The Terminator
All Coen Brothers films

I think i watch them more than others over the years, so i think that means
they are my favorites.
It is, indeed, impossible to name only one, sorry.

7th Seal , seen 5 times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies