Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:35 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Tremors.

I don't think Tremors was terrible. In fact, I would say it is actually a very good movie. The others in the series were definitely terrible, but I love and enjoy the entire franchise. One of my favorite creature series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Those movies were a HUGE part of my highschool experience. There was this kid at my school who was obsessed with Troma and showed me many of their movies. At one point our local indy theater use to show them. I dressed up as Toxie twice for Halloween and once as Sarah/Claire.
Myself as well. We had about 8 kids from the neighborhood gather to watch part one and two. There was a scene in part two where Toxie beat a top hat wearing man over the head until he was just
a hat with feet sticking out running around. We were roaring with laughter.

Toxic Avenger became an Off Broadway play several years ago. I didn't see it unfortunately.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Elf
I'm not sure how Elf is a terrible film that one loves anyway.

It's a comedy. No, it does not feature any dramatic acting in the classic sense (if it did, then it might indeed be terrible). The North Pole sets are intentionally primitively stylized partly as an homage to the old Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer stop-motion special and partly because in that manner they accentuate the humor. Most of the actors in the film are comedic acting by design because that's what the film requires. The film's straight 'men' who stick to a form of dramatic acting that is tweaked to be in support of the overall comedy - James Caan, Mary Steenburgen, others - deliver in about as tone-perfect a manner as one can imagine. The pretension to drama at the heart of the film, a thing which lurks within almost all comedies, properly serves its purpose but does not overwhelm the comedic elements. I fail to see where it even goes all that wrong, much less is particularly bad.

If Elf completely missed its comedic target, it might be terrible. But it nails it.

Just because a film is not Shakespeareanesque, with high drama and riven with metaphors and commentary, does not make it terrible.

My offering? The original Red Dawn. For a film that makes a pitch to realism, it is strategically idiotic, logistically idiotic, and tactically idiotic.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:24 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Smokey and the Bandit one and two.

Cannonball run one and two

Hooper

All Burt Reynolds movies but just fun,you could tell they were having fun making them.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Paul Bartel's Death Race 2000 (1975). If you've ever seen his Eating Raoul (1982), that's Paul.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:55 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
I have more I remembered:

Society

Its Alive

Hercules in New York

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Old 07-28-2017, 03:38 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm not sure how Elf is a terrible film that one loves anyway.

It's a comedy. No, it does not feature any dramatic acting in the classic sense (if it did, then it might indeed be terrible). The North Pole sets are intentionally primitively stylized partly as an homage to the old Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer stop-motion special and partly because in that manner they accentuate the humor. Most of the actors in the film are comedic acting by design because that's what the film requires. The film's straight 'men' who stick to a form of dramatic acting that is tweaked to be in support of the overall comedy - James Caan, Mary Steenburgen, others - deliver in about as tone-perfect a manner as one can imagine. The pretension to drama at the heart of the film, a thing which lurks within almost all comedies, properly serves its purpose but does not overwhelm the comedic elements. I fail to see where it even goes all that wrong, much less is particularly bad.

If Elf completely missed its comedic target, it might be terrible. But it nails it.

Just because a film is not Shakespeareanesque, with high drama and riven with metaphors and commentary, does not make it terrible.

My offering? The original Red Dawn. For a film that makes a pitch to realism, it is strategically idiotic, logistically idiotic, and tactically idiotic.
Erm...I think you have a point and well stated at that. It really is good at being what it IS.
Sometimes my film snobbery gets in the way of my judgement.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Airplane! The funniest worst movie ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDXQdgx_QU

Old 07-28-2017, 03:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Yesssssss. It's so bad that it is good in the same vein as Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Plan 9's props made me laugh out loud. Killer Klowns from Outer Space has that great flying saucer that is a circus big top. I'm laughing out loud right now thinking of both of them but Killer Klowns actually scared me.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:53 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Yesssssss. It's so bad that it is good in the same vein as Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Plan 9's props made me laugh out loud. Killer Klowns from Outer Space has that great flying saucer that is a circus big top. I'm laughing out loud right now thinking of both of them but Killer Klowns actually scared me.
Ditto "The Creeping Terror"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies