U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 PM

12,700 posts, read 12,499,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Olivia Spencer's character gives a 1-2 sentence explanation the first time they meet Shannon's character
Yes. She explains that
Spoiler
Elisa was found in a river as a child and taken in as an orphan. And at the end of the film, the scars on Elisa's neck turn into gills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:54 PM

23,589 posts, read 42,857,815 times
Thanks--didn't know how to do a spoiler overlay

Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM

9,164 posts, read 5,182,649 times
Quote:
Thanks--didn't know how to do a spoiler overlay
The SHOW | HIDE button works most times, if not:

[spoiler] [spoiler] ad the / before "spoiler" in the second box.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 PM

Aaahhhh...

Old 01-20-2018, 05:09 PM

11,508 posts, read 5,933,080 times
The movie was interesting...not nearly as good as Pan's Labyrinth.

The sexual scenes seemed a bit gratuitous - did we need to see Elisa masturbate TWICE so we would know she was a "sexual being" and disprove the stereotype that people with a disability are deemed asexual? And Strickland having sex with his wife - was that just to further cement that he had a sick perverted life, in general?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:16 PM

7,434 posts, read 8,376,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And Strickland having sex with his wife - was that just to further cement that he had a sick perverted life, in general?
How is he having sex with his wife "sick and perverted"?

Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM

It was the directions he gave his wife and his behavior while having sex that showed a somewhat perverse approach and foreshadowed his interest in Elisa---

And I thought the fact that Elisa masturbated in the manner SHE did was also foreshadowing and indicative of her hidden nature...and could also have indicated that
Spoiler
based on what happens later that she was seeking a mate because of her maturation process---that her attraction to the man-fish was part of body's inescapable attraction to his

Maybe as you suggest it showed she was a "full" person despite being mute-but I think that point was made in other ways--especially from Olivia Spencer's full acceptance of her and acknowledgement of intelligence, humor, empathy--even the fact that she chided her for being late herself, while not allowing the other worker to do it===funny but totally in keeping with home someone protects someone they love-
"I can pick on my sister/friend all I want--but not you"...

There WAS a purpose/reason behind the revealing of each character's behavior--
It was not gratuitous at all...you might not have understood at the moment but to claim it was just exploitive and attention seeking AFTER seeing the movie suggests you were not looking beneath the surface for deeper meaning...
Hidden depths...

Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 PM

5,409 posts, read 3,071,892 times
Good movie, very good movie. Saw on New Years, and while I enjoyed it I have no intention of watching it again at all. I don't if the woman was really human(found near the water, with marks on her neck)or grew up with hose creatures he ce why she knew he liked boiled eggs and loved him.

I certainly don't think it was a masterpiece.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:06 AM

Consider the symbolism of boiled eggs
I can see multiple facets of metaphorical imagery

But agree
Think the story is little too muddled to be considered a full success

Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 AM

11,508 posts, read 5,933,080 times
Quote:
It was the directions he gave his wife and his behavior while having sex that showed a somewhat perverse approach and foreshadowed his interest in Elisa---

And I thought the fact that Elisa masturbated in the manner SHE did was also foreshadowing and indicative of her hidden nature...and could also have indicated that
Spoiler
based on what happens later that she was seeking a mate because of her maturation process---that her attraction to the man-fish was part of body's inescapable attraction to his

Maybe as you suggest it showed she was a "full" person despite being mute-but I think that point was made in other ways--especially from Olivia Spencer's full acceptance of her and acknowledgement of intelligence, humor, empathy--even the fact that she chided her for being late herself, while not allowing the other worker to do it===funny but totally in keeping with home someone protects someone they love-
"I can pick on my sister/friend all I want--but not you"...

There WAS a purpose/reason behind the revealing of each character's behavior--
It was not gratuitous at all...you might not have understood at the moment but to claim it was just exploitive and attention seeking AFTER seeing the movie suggests you were not looking beneath the surface for deeper meaning...
Hidden depths...
It's easy to speculate and the more convoluted perhaps the more hidden depths you could be said to have perceived.

There may have been an intended purpose...but was it necessary? Certainly I make judgement both during and after the movie and I didn't need to see him having sex with his wife to figure out that HE was a sexual being...or that he had some nasty proclivities as there were many indications throughout. It more seemed to be a diversion into the sterotypical '50's family and household and a deliberate setup to show there was nothing typical at all about him....which again, was not necessary. He was quite a one-dimensional character and I don't know that this scene succeeded in adding anything to help that.

It was an interesting concept and movie but not a great one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or