U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:41 PM

27,528 posts, read 44,987,445 times

Advertisements

Not everyone's cup of tea--
My husband didn't care for it very much
And I admit it is visually a very dark film---dark colors, low light, dark interiors--
I do find movies like that depressing to watch even though there may be a metaphorical significance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 04:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,880,432 times
I'm watching it now - can't wait until it's over. Tempted to not even finish it.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,880,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Watched this tonight on BluRay. Awful, just awful. This won an Oscar?
Agree---wouldn't have even made a good HBO movie, imo.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,781,101 times
Loved this movie. But then I’m a big fan of fantasy genre so I was already predisposed to love this movie.

I thought the story was well told, and several scenes about Eliza gave you hints that she’s not as she initially appears to be. The masturbation scenes in the water are little hints of Eliza’s origin. As are the scars on her neck that turn out to be not scars at all.

I think what makes a movie stand out from the crowd is the story and how it’s told, and this movie managed to tell a beautiful story just right. The acting was spot on too.

I wish Hollywood would come out with more original stories like this one.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:47 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,557,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Loved this movie. But then Iím a big fan of fantasy genre so I was already predisposed to love this movie.

I thought the story was well told, and several scenes about Eliza gave you hints that sheís not as she initially appears to be. The masturbation scenes in the water are little hints of Elizaís origin. As are the scars on her neck that turn out to be not scars at all.

I think what makes a movie stand out from the crowd is the story and how itís told, and this movie managed to tell a beautiful story just right. The acting was spot on too.

I wish Hollywood would come out with more original stories like this one.
That's what I concluded at the end of the movie-- what appeared to be scars were actually dormant gills. As a child she wasn't taken down next to the water and abandoned by humans -- somehow the came from the water.

It was a beautiful movie and beautiful to look at. I watched it in UHD on my 10 foot screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies