U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 03:29 AM

866 posts, read 362,758 times

Advertisements

At the enthusiastic recommendations of a friend, I sat through the film Maudie. It was a very deep and riveting film but took me back to my own miserable childhood so I left the theater very depressed and in pain. It's a very painful film for anyone who lived with a heartless, abusive, narcissist man like Maudie's "guy" and then husband. I just wanted to kill that SOB even though he turned out a little more "human" in the end. I felt so sorry for Maudie from the beginning and wanted to jump into the screen to protect her from her obviously mentally disturbed husband. She handled it all pretty well but I suffered resurrected anger and pain from my childhood and a rotten father. I am OK with having old emotional wounds triggered by films such as this but would not have gone there had I known just how bad the guy was going to be. His own emotional handicaps were understandable but not acceptable to me. Perhaps others might enjoy the deep and passionate characters and story so go see it for your own interests or needs. It is apparently a true story of real people who briefly appear in person at the end of the film. The film is good and well made but the story brought up a lot of old, unresolved pain for me.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies